Dead Battery

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
So after weeks of staring at my new GT I finally was getting ready to take it for its first maiden drive. Imagine my disappointment when I got in and found I have dead battery. :rofl I have read that the GT is equipped with some sort of special battery. Does anyone have any advice on how to charge or jump a GT? Or is it just like any other car? :confused

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions that you can provide.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
NJF said:
So after weeks of staring at my new GT I finally was getting ready to take it for its first maiden drive. Imagine my disappointment when I got in and found I have dead battery. :rofl I have read that the GT is equipped with some sort of special battery. Does anyone have any advice on how to charge or jump a GT? Or is it just like any other car? :confused

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions that you can provide.

Basically just like any other car. Keep in mind that there is a drain on the battery, from the on-board computers, that causes the battery to run down quite quickly. Similar to many cars including the Corvette. That is why there has been a lot of talk about a battery tender to keep it fully charged when not being driven.

Of course driving it daily eliminates the problem.

Dave

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks Dave. The long term plan is to keep it connected to a battery tender when not being driven for extended periods of time, unfortunately for me the temporary storage garage I rented has no electrical power in their units.

Jeff

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Jeff, I've got a DB9 which is a bear on the battery. It pulls it down within 10 days unless I use the battery disconnect. If no power is available at your storage location the only thing I can think of is get a solar charger (about $50) lenghten the wire and hang the panel outside the garage door if possible. Otherwise just disconnect the battery.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
The GT comes with a battery charger from the factory that you plug into the Lighter. Theres a reason it comes with one, use it. If you don't have a electrical outlet then you have a serious problem.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you disconnect the battery the engine mgt. computer will lose its tune for your engine and will have to re-learn them. Mostly the air/fuel ratio at less than WOT that is saved in RAM and is lost if the computer loses power. So I would recommend somehow keeping the battery connected and charged.

BlackICE

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
NJF said:
unfortunately for me the temporary storage garage I rented has no electrical power in their units.

Jeff

Jeff, it's such a shame that I moved to sunny FL (where you can drive snow-free, ice-free, year round)! I used to live in the frozen tundra right next to Waukesha in fact & would have been happy to store your baby & keep the battery charged for you... I always believed in being a good neighbor! :wink I guess after your 3 months of decent weather are up, you may want to just migrate south so your car doesn't have to go into deep hibernation. :frown And since this warm southern place I now call home also happens to be the lightning capital of the world, there'd never be a shortage of electricity!! :biggrin Seriously, it's nice to hear that there's at least one GT in WI (& summer is just around the corner). :banana

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Some battery notes

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722

Just some info on an old post... Jay
www.gtsaver.com

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
beware

From my own experience, charge the battery with care. My car (with all of 19 miles) is out of commission due to a falty battery. Apparantly, the battery needs to be ordered from an outside vendor, in Colorado, and takes about 4-5 days for delivery. I bitched all day to Ford about having to wait almost a week for a battery to drive my 175K Heritage, delivered 2 days ago, without any satisfaction. My next step is a certified letter to the CEO, Mr. Ford.
Bottom line, charge it slowly with the appropriate charger.

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I am also in the Milwaukee metro area, with a 06 GT. It has a dead battery as well...they are just an Optima battery, put a 1-2amp charge on it overnight and it will be fine.

For the record, we get at least 3.5 months of nice weather here every year :lol

Regards,
Colin

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
My mistake! Though w/all the construction that goes on those 3.5 months, where are you going to find a place to drive? :lol I was just there last month & forgot my coat (What can I say? It was 85 degrees when I boarded the plane & 19 degrees when I landed!) Are you bringing your cheesehead to the rally? :biggrin If you go, please introduce yourself!! :cheers Mary Jo