db of Stock Exhaust?

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Has anyone had to put their stock GT through a noise test (for instance to participate in a track day)?

I'm interested in what the db is at approximately 5,500-6,500 rpm

I've done a search on the site but couldn't find a relevant thread.

TIA

USA GT - STAN WHITE

FORD
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 13, 2007
Gardnerville, Nevada
DBs of Stock Exhaust ?

The DBs of the Stock Exhaust, as far as I am concerned was similar to a Toyota Prius! (Whimpy) I am Seventy One, hearing is not what it used to be. To me the pleasure of owning and driving a Ford GT, is enjoying the sound of the Exhaust. I am running the Ford Racing Exhaust and just love it. Not to loud for me.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The DBs of the Stock Exhaust, as far as I am concerned was similar to a Toyota Prius! (Whimpy) I am Seventy One, hearing is not what it used to be. To me the pleasure of owning and driving a Ford GT, is enjoying the sound of the Exhaust. I am running the Ford Racing Exhaust and just love it. Not to loud for me.

I laughed.

I would be suspicious of any db measurement as microphone quality and placement would play a critical factor. There are a few video comparison of different exhaust's back-2-back. The stock system meets all of the laws of man and nature (as an old friend might say). The Ford Racing full header and exhaust would break most of those laws and laugh at the state trooper while doing it.

Have fun choosing.

Last edited:

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I went with the X-pipe for a short time. Part of the reason I went back to the stock muffler was easier communication with the passenger (s), ability to not only feel but hear the tire squeal; knowing when they were about to break loose cornering; and I enjoy the whine of the stock supercharger. I have no db results, but the stock sound is in this short clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao4XWu2hTBA

Aside from the lessening of weight, which is substantial, but which also must be accounted for from a handling perspective, I don't believe the gains are impressive: but then again, at times, louder is sweeter.

And, you do get a better "fireball" out the back end without the stock muffler; though you still get the fireball from time to time remaining stock, or so I have been told.

Pete S.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A lot can be said for having a quiet stock exhaust system. However two over riding factors tilted the scale to a aftermarket cat back system.

1. Weight savings of over 45 lbs! Having a 55+ lbs of steel high up and rear most end of the car, just doesn't make any sense!

2. Reduced engine bay heat that may contribute to warped vents and more.

I have had a cat back since about 1000 miles and have the stock plastic vents that are still factory new "strait" and I don't routinely open the clamshell when parked.

Performance gains are minimal at best, other than the illusion noise equating to performance.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ

:rofl - toyota prius, yes basically.

I can hear you in Tempe, AZ ... oh wait ... I heard there was an avalanche @ Heavenly ski resort ... due to the FRPP M-9430-GTX rear exit headers ... no wait .... that was Mammoth Lake ski resort ... no wait ... that was my exhaust ... Camelback mountain is now a little hill. :rofl

Oh ... the FRPP M-9430-GTX rear exit headers ... sounds Heavenly! :thumbsup

WARNING. Do not drive your FGT near mountains with snow. :willy

what? 71? my dad is 71, he can't hear sh-t! well, I am sure it is selective hearing.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I went with the X-pipe for a short time. Part of the reason I went back to the stock muffler was easier communication with the passenger (s), ability to not only feel but hear the tire squeal; knowing when they were about to break loose cornering; and I enjoy the whine of the stock supercharger. I have no db results, but the stock sound is in this short clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao4XWu2hTBA

Aside from the lessening of weight, which is substantial, but which also must be accounted for from a handling perspective, I don't believe the gains are impressive: but then again, at times, louder is sweeter.

And, you do get a better "fireball" out the back end without the stock muffler; though you still get the fireball from time to time remaining stock, or so I have been told.

Pete S.

Hey, Pete - that vid reminded me of something I've intended to ask for some time and keep forgetting: Exactly WHAT/where does one attach the anchor straps TO fore & aft???

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I think the question was what is the DB of the stock GT. I think it would be interesting to know. I know some tracks like Laguna Seca have noise limits.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Has anyone had to put their stock GT through a noise test (for instance to participate in a track day)?

I'm interested in what the db is at approximately 5,500-6,500 rpm

I've done a search on the site but couldn't find a relevant thread.

TIA

Yes, me.

98db at 4,000
105db at 5,500

My GT was banned by the noise Police at a track day - there's nothing quite so irritating and disappointing...

Mine is absolutely stock - not even signed by anyone! :lol

As pointed out above, the placement of the measurement equipment is absolutely critical and will lead to variations.

Edited to add: You can cheat a little by saying that the engine is new and that you'll be changing gear at 4,000.

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
I think the question was what is the DB of the stock GT. I think it would be interesting to know. I know some tracks like Laguna Seca have noise limits.

Thank you. This is exactly my concern.

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Yes, me.

98db at 4,000
105db at 5,500

My GT was banned by the noise Police at a track day - there's nothing quite so irritating and disappointing...

Mine is absolutely stock - not even signed by anyone! :lol

As pointed out above, the placement of the measurement equipment is absolutely critical and will lead to variations.

Edited to add: You can cheat a little by saying that the engine is new and that you'll be changing gear at 4,000.

Neil, much appreciated.

Goodwood is my local and therefore, I think they'll catch on if I tell them it is a new engine each time I'm there :wink

Was the 105db with the allowance that they make for rear engine cars? I believe some tracks (again Goodwood) give -2 for rear engined cars. If Viper finds this thread, I'm sure he'll be able to shed some light on this particular point as I know they gave him extra leeway on his RS.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Neil, much appreciated.

Goodwood is my local and therefore, I think they'll catch on if I tell them it is a new engine each time I'm there :wink

Was the 105db with the allowance that they make for rear engine cars? I believe some tracks (again Goodwood) give -2 for rear engined cars. If Viper finds this thread, I'm sure he'll be able to shed some light on this particular point as I know they gave him extra leeway on his RS.

It was Goodwood that threw me off! I don't know if they made any allowance for the mid engine....

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
You can get thrown off at Goodwood for sneezing too loudly. Sadly, this is the way all UK tracks are going...

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
It is a shame but it is not the tracks that are causing the issues but the residents who live near them. What annoys me is that in Goodwoods case, the track has been there long before any of the current local residents - hence, complaining about the noise is like moving next to an airport and then complaining about the racket caused by planes taking off and landing.

If the stock GT exhaust is 105db, that may cause me some issues. I only ever do the 105db days because I like to avoid issues with noise regs; however, if it is bang on the limit, it may curtail my use of it on track.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
You're exactly right about Goodwood, it's such an historic motor racing venue that it beggars belief that people would move there and then complain about it.

Get your engine measured - mine was a fail for Goodwood's 98db as it measured 105db. However you might get lucky... I think they were out for me that day.

Obviously don't put baffles on the pipes!

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
105 fot std exhaust sounds crazy.....I'm sure my Flymo makes more noise and that's electric.:lol

There is a Guy that regularly tracks his and he's been to Brands regularly without any issue and they're 103 db.

Silverstone recently didn't even bother with noise test and neither did Rockingham.

TBH the amount of red tape at Goodwood is really getting to me and for that reason I'm out.:confused

Simon..............just pull your finger out and get one bought.