• LeMans

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
If you could only do one in 2016, which would you choose, Daytona and the first race for the new 2016 GT OR LeMan the historic return of the legend?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Le Mans of course.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
If you could only do one in 2016, which would you choose, Daytona and the first race for the new 2016 GT OR LeMan the historic return of the legend?

Daytona first…then Le Mans 6 months later. One is 3000 miles from home and the other is a lot further.

mal

Heritage GT Owner
Nov 23, 2012
London/Kent, UK
Le Mans of course.
:thumbsup ... looking forward to seeing there next year Paul!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
:thumbsup ... looking forward to seeing there next year Paul!

Me too Malcolm!

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
If there is any way that I can work my schedule to "happen to be at Le Man" at the time I will do so. I think one of my 2016 trips to India needs to route through Paris!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
How on earth can the 2 events be compared? Sure Daytona is in the exotic central Florida coast (not offense to central Florida residents), and it a long standing US endurance race, on a "roval".

Le Mans is just that.... Le Mans....

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
How on earth can the 2 events be compared? Sure Daytona is in the exotic central Florida coast (not offense to central Florida residents), and it a long standing US endurance race, on a "roval".

Le Mans is just that.... Le Mans....

If 2016 were just any ole year, I'd agree 1000%. But Daytona 2016 is THE racing debut of the new GT - that's gotta count for something!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It does, but the magnitude of Lemans especially in this context seems 100-1 at least, in favor, over Daytona. Again, far from a slight on Daytona, the 24hr, or the racing debut, but Lemans will be off the chart.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
It does, but the magnitude of Lemans especially in this context seems 100-1 at least, in favor, over Daytona. Again, far from a slight on Daytona, the 24hr, or the racing debut, but Lemans will be off the chart.

While I agree with you, because the goal of "the Deuce" was to beat Ferrari at Le Mans,

please remember that the GT40's first victory came on Shelby's maiden race with the Ford program, with Ken Miles and Lloyd Ruby taking a Shelby American-entered Ford GT to victory in the Daytona 2000 in February 1965. The rest of the season, however, was a disaster.

The experience gained in 1964 and 1965 allowed the 7-litre Mk II to dominate the following year. In February, the GT40 again won at Daytona. This was the first year Daytona was run in the 24 Hour format and Mk II's finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. In March, at the 1966 12 Hours of Sebring, GT40's again took all three top finishes with the X-1 Roadster first, a Mk. II taking second, and a Mk. I in third. Then in June at the 24 Hours of Le Mans the GT40 achieved yet another 1-2-3 result.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2015
Definitely want to attend both, but if I could only pick one this year, having attended Daytona, I'd pick it again. So much fun.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
You need a third Poll Option: Both. I will attend both if possible. Already booked a hotel for Daytona.
Both have historical significance. Obviously Le Mans is the bigger event with more historical and prestige value. But Daytona will be the first time to see the new car in battle so I can't wait for that !!

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Reminder for those who like LE MANS.

The EUROPEAN FORD GT OWNERS CLUB organizes three weeks of FORD GT DAYS, in 2016, at LE MANS.

I propose to the enthusiasts worldwide, on obviously voluntary basis, to :

- See the Ford GT racing the 24 Hours of Le Mans (June 18 / 19, 2016).

But .... Not only, and also :

- Enjoy a taste of France, its landscapes, its architecture and its gastronomy (June 20 to July 7, 2016).
- Admire hundreds of exceptional historical and competition cars, exposed in the paddocks and racing on the track, during the «Le Mans Classic» (8 / 9 / 10 July 2016).
- Spend an evening at the "Hotel de France" historic HQ of the Ford GT40 racing team, during the four years of victory at the 24 hours race (8 July).
- Come worldwide with their Ford GT and drive with the other Ford GT, on the circuit of the 24 hours (9 July).
- Etc ....

The program for the weekend at Le Mans Classic is already fixed and hotels already reserved.

But ... The announcement of the return of Ford in the 24 hours race with the GT, inspired me to further enrich and develop the party during three weeks. I am working on this, very actively.

More than ever, my goal is to achieve a celebration of the fiftieth anniversary that would remains in the minds of the Ford GT Community.
The coordination is already organized with the main leaders of the Ford communication
throughout Europe.
I obviously contacted DBK from FORUM FORD GT, to work together and build a mutual success.

The information on the "Le Mans 2016 Ford GT Days" will be regularly published on this Forum.
All collaborations are welcome. Thank you for your good ideas.

Reservations will begin next Autumn.

Best regard.

Francis (Saint Ho).

Last edited:

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Hi Ho,
Sorry, but I'm confused about some of your itinerary:
"The program for the weekend at Le Mans Classic is already fixed and hotels already reserved."
"Reservations will begin next Autumn."

Which is it?

Also, are you the one in charge of next year's Le Mans activities? "The coordination is already organized with the main leaders of the Ford communication
throughout Europe."

I am becoming very confused and frustrated with the all of the supposed "official" Le Mans celebrations that seem to be flying around. Can you please provide more details of your involvement?

Thanks

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Hi Ho,
Sorry, but I'm confused about some of your itinerary:
"The program for the weekend at Le Mans Classic is already fixed and hotels already reserved."
"Reservations will begin next Autumn."

Which is it?

Also, are you the one in charge of next year's Le Mans activities? "The coordination is already organized with the main leaders of the Ford communication
throughout Europe."

I am becoming very confused and frustrated with the all of the supposed "official" Le Mans celebrations that seem to be flying around. Can you please provide more details of your involvement?

Thanks

Good morning Matt.

Probably my English, learned in high school a long time ago, is a little too exotic to be well understood by you.
Excuse me. I’ll try to be more clear.

I am in charge of the Club gathering the Ford GT owners in Europe.
I confirm again that this is a completely voluntary activity, totally inspired by the passion for the Ford GT, and without any sponsors or Ford's participation.

- First phase :

Last year, the weekend of "Ford GT Days 2014" organized by the European Club, at Le Mans Classic, was a appreciated success, and our group asked me to organize it again in 2016.

Following the report of that weekend, published on the Ford GT Forum last year, some US owners declare wanting to join us at Le Mans Classic for "Ford GT Days 2016".
I indicated that I would be very happy to receive them the best possible, and organize their weekend in France, for they keep the best memories. Simple question of conviviality and sharing among enthusiasts.

For this weekend of "Ford GT Days 2016" at Le Mans Classic, I definitely blocked last summer, 60 hotel rooms, and 80 places in various restaurants, to receive not only European but also owners from elsewhere, particularly from the USA.

I indicated several times in this Forum, that I will ask those who want to come to our gathering, to register and pay a «*deposit" next Automn. Nothing change on that point.

- Second phase:

Last month, Ford announced his return to the 24-hour race of Le Mans with the Ford GT. This is obviously a considerable news for our Ford GT community.
Then, many of Ford GT owners, announced their desire to come from the US to admire the race.
The European Club wishes simply welcome them at best, if they wish, and allow them to eventually extend the fiftieth anniversary at Le Mans Classic.

- Who does what?

Obviously, Ford will organize itself «official events» to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary, during the 24 hours race, and may be, at Le Mans Classic.
Ford has considerable ambitions and resources to implement all elements of its own communication.
Anyone can organize things individually, but I think that would be stupid.
So I suggested to all those who intervene in this fiftieth anniversary, to coordinate our efforts with theirs, knowing that for Europeans, and especially for me who lives in France, some things are easier.

There is not any spirit of competition or of highlight in my action. The only objective is to add all the forces to build an unforgettable celebration.
All my interlocutors seem to have understood that, and my proposal seems very well received.

At the end, each is free to part in what interests him and with whom he prefers.

Dear Matt, I hope that things are now clear for you.

Best regards.

Francis (Saint Ho).

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Looking forward to LeMans in 2016! with my GT in tow!

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Hello MATT.

I do not have the pleasure of knowing you, but I hope my answer on the Forum, responded to your anxiety about the Le Mans in 2016. You have not react.

I do not know what is your involvement in the Ford GT community.
Mine is only to make the fabulous Ford GT, better known and loved, in Europe. Thats all.

In summary:

- If you want to come to the 24 hours of Le Mans in 2016, and you have your own organization, do not change anything, because I'm not useful for you. It is very likely that Ford will come from the USA with guests, and that the GT Forum will also organize something. It is great, if you are in these formulas. In that case, the European and I, will simply be delighted to meet you and welcome you.
- If your organization needs local help, I will be happy to help it, to the best of my ability.
- If you personally need something in France, I will be happy to help you there, too, to the best of my ability.
- If your organization does not include "Le Mans Classic", but you want to come there, I will be happy to welcome you, in our own organization, before and during the event.

Best regards from France.

Francis (Saint Ho).

mal

Heritage GT Owner
Nov 23, 2012
London/Kent, UK
well you couldn't ask for more than that, and I can personally assure anyone that Francis is a fantastic and honourable host.

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Hello MATT.

I do not have the pleasure of knowing you, but I hope my answer on the Forum, responded to your anxiety about the Le Mans in 2016. You have not react.

I do not know what is your involvement in the Ford GT community.
Mine is only to make the fabulous Ford GT, better known and loved, in Europe. Thats all.

In summary:

- If you want to come to the 24 hours of Le Mans in 2016, and you have your own organization, do not change anything, because I'm not useful for you. It is very likely that Ford will come from the USA with guests, and that the GT Forum will also organize something. It is great, if you are in these formulas. In that case, the European and I, will simply be delighted to meet you and welcome you.
- If your organization needs local help, I will be happy to help it, to the best of my ability.
- If you personally need something in France, I will be happy to help you there, too, to the best of my ability.
- If your organization does not include "Le Mans Classic", but you want to come there, I will be happy to welcome you, in our own organization, before and during the event.

Best regards from France.

Francis (Saint Ho).

Hi Francois,
Thank you for the follow up, and sorry for my tardy reply.
I will keep your organization information close at hand once the FGF event details emerge and DBK announces the formal plan. I suspect there will be some collaboration with you once FoMoCo has offered their support. At this juncture I believe it is a bit early for me to begin the booking process for flights, hotels, trains, shipping, etc. It would be great to drive the Le Mans circuit though!
Happy trails to you my friend,
Matt