ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I have travelled coast to coast with my GT a few times and I have a Ford cruse control that works great. It's from an Expedition 4x4. In order to use it with the GT, just put the GT in a trailer, hook the trailer to the Expedition, and hit the road. Cruse control works great except on steep uphills.

Glad I could help.

Chip

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Nice to know OTHER owners want a few ammenities on a Ford GT. I posted this a while back and knew I would get blasted with "not like the orig GT40s" and "if you want luxury buy a Lincoln". No, I WANT a $150K car to have some comforts but that is MY opinion. This car is NOT a GT40..period. It has a/c, power windows, CD, power locks etc....so why draw the line there. It is a GT....and last time I checked that was for Grand Touring. Touring means traveling. It needed a cruise control. Also would have been nice to have power, heated seats....yeh , yeh, yad yada, would have added weight ( I don't care) and would have raised the seat height ( maybe, maybe not......some are lowering the seats so must be some room under)...it COULD have been done. And for the purists........Ford could have offered these as "options" just to keep their panties from bunching. They should have offered the "purists" an "R" model GT with no a/c or radio, ....Ford could have stripped it down. made it in a "limited #" and charged extra. Win for Ford. And I don't care what other supercars have or don't have...Lambos etc. I just
know what I would have liked. Oh, and how about a built-in cupholder on the console......could have been slightly recessed and the rest above....yes, there is room for a slight recess.
I don't care about racing my GT and I do enjoy the GT (Grand Touring) aspect. Twin turbos that are a second quicker, loud mufflers, lowered suspensions, don't interest me. Rather have the above mentioned items and no I don't want a Town Car...I want a Ford GT with these features from the factory.

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I'll start off by saying I am not in favor of cruise control systems. In the GT or any other vehicle.

The single purpose of a driver is to drive the car. With the sole purpose of reaching the intended destination safely.

Having put in many drives in my GT, in the 8 to 10 hour range, I find the GT extremely easy to drive at constant speeds.

Current company on this forum excepted, I see many drivers on a daily basis using cruise control and not paying attention to their driving.

The worst offenders use cruise control in conjunction with their use of cell phones.

Thus they already have two strikes against them. Driving with inattention. An accident waiting to happen.

That's my take on CC.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
On long drives, I prefer to set a speed & just take the curves as they come. Cruise control has also saved me a lot on speeding tickets too, I'm sure. Quote

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Nice to know OTHER owners want a few ammenities on a Ford GT. I posted this a while back and knew I would get blasted with "not like the orig GT40s" and "if you want luxury buy a Lincoln". No, I WANT a $150K car to have some comforts but that is MY opinion. This car is NOT a GT40..period. It has a/c, power windows, CD, power locks etc....so why draw the line there. It is a GT....and last time I checked that was for Grand Touring. Touring means traveling. It needed a cruise control. Also would have been nice to have power, heated seats....yeh , yeh, yad yada, would have added weight ( I don't care) and would have raised the seat height ( maybe, maybe not......some are lowering the seats so must be some room under)...it COULD have been done. And for the purists........Ford could have offered these as "options" just to keep their panties from bunching. They should have offered the "purists" an "R" model GT with no a/c or radio, ....Ford could have stripped it down. made it in a "limited #" and charged extra. Win for Ford. And I don't care what other supercars have or don't have...Lambos etc. I just
know what I would have liked. Oh, and how about a built-in cupholder on the console......could have been slightly recessed and the rest above....yes, there is room for a slight recess.
I don't care about racing my GT and I do enjoy the GT (Grand Touring) aspect. Twin turbos that are a second quicker, loud mufflers, lowered suspensions, don't interest me. Rather have the above mentioned items and no I don't want a Town Car...I want a Ford GT with these features from the factory.

You forgot the Nav system so you won't get lost :)

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
You forgot the Nav system so you won't get lost :)

I prefer a map. No Nav in any car I have. Joey and I just drove coast to coast with a map...no Nav, no internet on our phones and we made it. Never got lost one time. But I could see others liking that and it should have been an option as well for those who can't read a map. Definitely should have included a multi-disc changer in the $4K or $5K radio though. If I had the liberty of ordering my car I would have gone with base wheels and base radio. Maybe not ordering from Ford today with their looney parts prices but you could have and still can get used upgrade set for $2K easily. I bought 2 rear upgrade wheels and 2 Hoosier slicks mounted for $350 from a pawn shop in Scottsdale. Chip picked them up for me. They are out there..... You didn't get any credit for the base wheels when upgrading on the window sticker. Should have got base then bought like new used upgrade and sold the base wheels. Prolly could have put money in my pocket and had the nicer wheels which I much prefer the look. The stripes could be put on in vinyl or paint for a $1000-$1500 here....some shops might be higher...but I know what my quality shops charge me.

Now I don't need any blasting from folks who say if you are so unhappy with then car sell it...not what I'm saying.... I like the car but I would like it better with a couple of GT Grand Touring adds. My preferences......and I see a few others have interest there too.

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I think they nailed it pretty well. I would have left off the stereo since it just interferes with hearing the sound of the car. Got to have A/C for the ladies. Painted stripes > Vinyl. The fact that they brought a car to market without driver nanny features says a lot about Ford and the original designers. Requesting cruise control leads me to believe that those who desire said creature comforts should look elsewhere for a more fitting car. Maybe an R8 or a new Vette would better suite their taste?

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I think they nailed it pretty well. I would have left off the stereo since it just interferes with hearing the sound of the car. Got to have A/C for the ladies. Painted stripes > Vinyl. The fact that they brought a car to market without driver nanny features says a lot about Ford and the original designers. Requesting cruise control leads me to believe that those who desire said creature comforts should look elsewhere for a more fitting car. Maybe an R8 or a new Vette would better suite their taste?

As stated it is my opinion I'm mentioning here....I'm quite happy with the look of the car and the fact it does not depreciate like a Lambo or other. But my preferences would still be the couple of GT comfort adds in a GT ...not another car. It ain't no GT40. 66 F100 didn't have power windows, cruise and most didn't have a/c......but 90% do now. Progress. Like I said, offer them as options and make a stripped down "R" model
for those purists. Ford did an amazing job bringing the car to market in such a short time...but would it have been so difficult to have added a couple of items? Could have done without the quickie Mexican guages but that is another story.

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
With the R model would the price for parts still have been so f'ing stupid ridiculously high? Made me sell mine knowing they are headed into Ferrariland. Maybe they were considerably underpriced originally and are now just starting to adjust to the financial demographic some think they were intended for to begin with... Good luck with that!

H

HHGT

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2004-10.html

pls dont do this in a GT even though the door design may make the re-entry easier.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Chris, I agree with you 100% about the GT needing cruise. After spending 40 hours driving my 1972 MGB from NY to Wyoming, I think everything with wheels should have cruise!!!!!!!!

John

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I don't use cruise control EVER, on cars I have with it. No interest in that, cup holders, or traction control. They could have kept out AC, and for sure the radio too. Only thing I would add? Thermometer. I will gladly survive with out that too.....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Cruise control? What?! Haha congrats Tony on the new GT. You will love it!

Hey, so with my back I need to move around a little, which means "stretching" and taking my foot off the accelerator every once in a while. At least I didn't ask for 6-way adjustable seats :) Unless someone has some :)

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Hey, so with my back I need to move around a little, which means "stretching" and taking my foot off the accelerator every once in a while. At least I didn't ask for 6-way adjustable seats :) Unless someone has some :)
Optional heated power seats. The "purists" can have fiberglass, rockhard, lightweight racing seats in the "R"model.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Since this thread's been dead for a few years, let me kickstart it again. I have driven my FGT for more than 100 miles at a time on a dozen or more occasions now. I'd like a CC so I can keep the speed from creeping up on me (heh, it's pretty easy to do), and to give my leg a chance to move and rest in a different position. Has anyone installed a CC in a FGT yet? If not, I might be the first. How about any experience installing a CC in another car with mechanical throttle linkage? Any recommended systems? (yes I read about the Rostra system, but I'm open to other suggestions too).

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Yes -

Mark McGowan and The GT Guy have built and are testing a Cruise Control system specific for the GT, but it is currently not ready for "Prime Time." I'm hoping that it will be completed within the next year, as it's becoming difficult to drive across country without a respite for my legs and feet....

If you're at Rally 9, check out Mark's GT....

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
What great news about CC being developed. I tried to get them to add CC to the Traction Control they developed years ago and was laughed at and ridiculed. Couldn't understand their logic that Traction Control was OK in their minds, but CC wasn't. What's the difference as both are helping people drive easier. If they want the basics, why don't they go back to the Model T's with hand crank starters, no windows, etc. Let them be uncomfortable with no windows, no A/C, no heaters, etc. Hahahaha. They shouldn't be telling other people they shouldn't have these comforts if they want them.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Too bad that those Rallys are so far away ... please update those who can't attend ... CC would be really nice here in Germany especially to avoid speeding tickets in some areas :)

Somehow I am spoiled by the fantastic working cruise + distance control in my Audi ... it makes long trips really great, you just have to steer and adjust the speed for the CC, braking and accelerating is done fully automatic.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I was told that to implement cruise control into any new car design requires a 5 year period for certification - since the GT design period was so short, it couldn't be implemented into the cars originally.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I was told that to implement cruise control into any new car design requires a 5 year period for certification - since the GT design period was so short, it couldn't be implemented into the cars originally.

Makes perfect sense to me.