Cracked rear glass

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ha! For the conspiracy theorists re sound waves: Consider that the McIntosh puts out frequencies greater than most of our aging ears can hear and, at maximum volume, pressures that can cause permanent hearing loss. AND...the subwoofer is mounted against the bulkhead! I'll bet the window vibrates enough to make its own sound.

Yes, an opera singer live or on Memorex tape can shatter a wine glass if the volume (pressure) is high enough. But, that is because the curvature of the glass allows the waves to be focused. You just have to maintain the natural resonance frequency (the ring when you tap a glass with a fingernail) long and loud enough.

Sound waves can't crack flat glass, because there is no focus point. Two exceptions: The sound is so intense (e.g., from an explosion) that it creates massive over-pressure. In which case, your body would also have big problems. Or, the glass has a crack that the sound vibrations (or any stress) can propagate.

I think I shot down my own hypothesis of hardened adhesive. The urethane adhesive appears to be the expanded foam type. On my car it is soft to the touch on the engine side. I can compress it with a fingernail.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
food for thought. let's get a pole started on rear cracked glass- cars with and without McIntosh. you never know

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
food for thought. let's get a pole started on rear cracked glass- cars with and without McIntosh. you never know

I have the Mac.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I love the Memorex reference.....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Considering his life experience, I'm surprised he didn't use a phonograph reference.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
I have the Mac.

Sub relocated 10 yrs ago.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
never had a Mac... rear window still cracked.
have only played radio 5-10 times since new. (2006)
andy (ajb)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I wasn't suggesting the Mac could be at fault. I was attempting to discredit the Utah killer soundwave idea. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Was anyone listening to Barry Manilow or Michael Bolton? That could be a problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Ha! For the conspiracy theorists re sound waves: Consider that the McIntosh puts out frequencies greater than most of our aging ears can hear and, at maximum volume, pressures that can cause permanent hearing loss. AND...the subwoofer is mounted against the bulkhead! I'll bet the window vibrates enough to make its own sound.

Yes, an opera singer live or on Memorex tape can shatter a wine glass if the volume (pressure) is high enough. But, that is because the curvature of the glass allows the waves to be focused. You just have to maintain the natural resonance frequency (the ring when you tap a glass with a fingernail) long and loud enough.

Sound waves can't crack flat glass, because there is no focus point. Two exceptions: The sound is so intense (e.g., from an explosion) that it creates massive over-pressure. In which case, your body would also have big problems. Or, the glass has a crack that the sound vibrations (or any stress) can propagate.

I think I shot down my own hypothesis of hardened adhesive. The urethane adhesive appears to be the expanded foam type. On my car it is soft to the touch on the engine side. I can compress it with a fingernail.
Who are you???😂😂😂

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Even if you have a Mac, who turns it on???????????????

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I have a Mac but it was my windshield that cracked in Utah. Was it the heat, elevation or the radio? I'm so confused.

Good thing Rich is local as he is being paid by my insurance company.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I wonder how many had cracked glass before the Rally or any after.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Considering his life experience, I'm surprised he didn't use a phonograph reference.
heh young man, ave you never heard the phrase "respect your elders"? if I would have posted that, I probably might have used the term victrola. HA! lmao !

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I'd MUCH rather be compared to a phonograph which is still quite relevant, over cassette, 8 track, DAT, DCC, Divix, HDDVD, VHS/ Beta, or any of the other DEAD AV formats that have come and gone over the years....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
There are two things good about getting old. One is:

giving-a-fuck-vs-age-plot.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ok, I'll bite. The other?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
There are two things good about getting old. One is:

View attachment 47685

GARY GARY GARY- you are the best! I will print that and put it on the wall in my office. no truer words have ever been explained ( graphically)

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca

I have one but it was off when it cracked... as a matter of facty hasn't been on for a very long time :)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ok, I'll bite. The other?
Old age is generally better than the alternative.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk