Concours guidance please

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
A bunch of buddies and I are headed to the Pebble Beach Concours this week. Trouble is, we're only able to attend on Friday. Having never attended, I was wondering if I could get some guidance as to what best to see, what to avoid, where to park, is parking safe/protected enough to take the FGT, etc.
I'd like to check out some auctions, as well as get a chance to view some more contemporary sports machines - as well as vendor booths, etc.
OTOH, I'm just guessing. I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks,
Rich

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Your big challenge is getting in/out of event venues and finding parking & walking.

I would recommend not bringing the GT, because of congestion/etc., most parking is slotted next to others w/out ability to go off in empty area.

Friday's big event is Concorso, focusing on Italian cars. Quail is sold out, and Gooding & other higher-end auctions are $75-100 to get in.

There are free previews of 3 auctions down by Cannery Wharf- Marriot, Portola, etc (street or hotel parking), the Automobolia show at Pebble Beach and you could even do a quick look at Laguna Seca pits or some of the smaller informal street shows in Carmel.

This article is a good summary:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080806/FREE/537275095/1026

Full info

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11843

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Thanks for the info. Sounds pretty limited...

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I'd say if you can only go on Friday you should plan on attending Concorso Italiano during the day; the venue has changed this year, so go to concorso.com you should get all info you need. check out see if it is too late to buy the non-italian car exhibit tix; if so, for $200 you can display your car within the event and comes with admission tix for 2adults. This is the biggest event during the day on Friday. During the evening, go to down town Monterey as there are several auctions, just park your car and walk around to see which auction interests you. Goodluck.

GTED

Thanks for the info. Sounds pretty limited...

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
Look for Camillo, he will be there.:cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Just got back, here are my pictures, and the camera had an issue and I was not able to shoot pictures at Peeble Beach today... saw lots of great cars...

http://www.photoworks.com/photo-sha...hareCode=AC71933C607&cp=ems_shr_alb_pml&cb=PW

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
WOW

I was looking for a second car for the wife and that 1961 Cadillac Brougham Pinafarina caught my eye - but a little out of my range for a weekend car :rofl

I can't believe the prices on the 73' Porsche's either. They are as much as the 250 Ferrari's :eek

Saw Jerry was there - with the bubble and doors closed:bored

My god BONY - sorry your camera failed :rofl

Even then it took some time to scan briefly those beautiful cars!

THANKS FOR THJE PICS!

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Great photos Bony,

I made it through 1200... before I lost the connection. The American colors car.... right down my alley! :thumbsup

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Just got back, here are my pictures, and the camera had an issue and I was not able to shoot pictures at Peeble Beach today... saw lots of great cars...

http://www.photoworks.com/photo-sha...hareCode=AC71933C607&cp=ems_shr_alb_pml&cb=PW

Thanks Bony!

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Look for Camillo, he will be there.:cheers

Saw him (wearing Heritage colors shirt) - he was intently inspecting a pantera for sale...

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Thanks for sharing the photos Bony!! :cheers

When its says "Price on Request" at the bottom of a description I think the fine print under it reads "Smelling salts may be required upon hearing price" :eek

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Page 4, IMG_1531, is my friend Ed's 1965 Porsche 911 that I was wrenching for over the weekend; also for Stan Rinne's Spitfire in IMG_1532.

Had a great 10 days at the Pre-Historics and the Historics. Hope you did too.

:cheers

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Many thanks, Bony, for all the great photos. Did you even have a chance to enjoy the Concours? You must have been just pointing and shooting the whole time. Seems like every Ferrari California ever made was there! Also, very cool to see all the old Trans Am warriors; the Z/28s, Boss 302s, Cudas, Javelins, etc. There's something really appealing about the pony car racers; as if they were not so quite out of reach for the average guy to own and race. :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I always take lots of pictures, a shame the camera jammed up and I was not able to capture Pebble and Gooding...