Comparing Cars With Different Number of Miles

Tomcat

GT Owner
Back in 1988, I did San Diego to Pensacola in 36 hours + 15 minutes in a 1973 Pantera.

Reactions: BtwoG
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Why limit it to weekends? I've driven from New Mexico to Louisiana on a Thursday. And then went from Louisiana to Florida on Friday.
I agree. I was trying to think of a good title for a "1000 mile thread" but my intellectual creativity is limited by the size of my cranium :giggle:
In the motorcycle world there's an "Iron Butt" award for riding 1000 miles in one day. It's verified by odo pictures and gas station receipts etc. We need a thread on the 1000 mi/day guys on here :)

This is the kind of title we need for a 1000 mile club. Who's got some good titles for a 1000 mile club? I'll start the thread and then I can stop taking this thread off topic.

QSS

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
You never hear any one complain about driving there GT’s to much!!!!!!!

Reactions: PL510*Jeff

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Finally, with regard to the 2005-2006 audio system, that’s the most interesting option. I’m confident that people who demand “four option cars” are doing it either out of ignorance (i.e. zero experience with the car) or for speculation purposes (convinced four-option cars are a better long-term investment). For people highly familiar with the car and not hung up on future value, the NON-MAC option is far superior. It replaces the Mac’s obnoxious central subwoofer with a functional storage pocket, giving the car more functionality while simultaneously making it easier to see the engine through the mid-lite glass, all while saving weight and $5,500 off the original purchase price.

This difference is so compelling that plenty of GT owners — “in the know” — went through the trouble of replacing the factory subwoofer with the factory storage pocket so they could enjoy both benefits. Of course this happened a lot when the car were just a year or two old. I’m betting it never happens these days out of fear of hurting today’s GT values. Plus that storage pocket part was never cheap, and I shudder to think what it costs these days...

But for me, the NO-MAC adds substantial value. If I was shopping today I’d likely not consider a Mac car, which would really cut down my purchase options while making a NO-MAC car more valuable. At least to me.😁

There is more to the McIntosh system than the subwoofer, which I agree is not optimally located. I would not consider purchasing a GT without the option.

Reactions: 2112

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There is more to the McIntosh system than the subwoofer, which I agree is not optimally located. I would not consider purchasing a GT without the option.
The Mac was, by far, the best sounding radio I've ever had in any car I've owned.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I was really disappointed in the sound of my Mac, rather tinny sounding without much volume and base. Then, when changing my serpentine belts, I found that the ground lug behind the woofer and amp was broken and not grounded. Just lit it off today with the repaired ground, WOW, amazingly great sound, lots of base, volume and super sound quality. Winter here currently, cannot wait to drive it. This should now sound great over the sound of my newly installed heffner pipe. I was worried I would not hear the stereo.....no more worries.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
The Mac was, by far, the best sounding radio I've ever had in any car I've owned.
I agree big time!! That Mac, with the big bad ass sub right next to my right ear, on a two day drive home from Vegas to Canmore, Alberta, was freakin awesome!!!! My wife would chastise me cause the stereo was too loud so I would turn the Mac down and then I would get into the throttle and then she would chastise me cause I was going too fast and the car, and its exhaust tone, was too loud.

I couldn't lose! No matter what I did, Mac too loud, car too loud.......who cares. I was in Nirvana!!!

QSS

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Listen to Gilmore's guitar in comfortably numb at full volume and you'll appreciate it.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I always have the radio on in all my vehicles but never with either GT.

Reactions: BtwoG and roketman

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I have driven both the 2017 Ford GT and the 2006 Ford GT from Detroit to Road Atlanta for Petit Leman and back.
I will admit that in both cases, I never used the Radio in either vehicle.
just enjoyed the 'road music.'
andy (ajb)

Reactions: THamonGT

Tomcat

GT Owner
My wife would chastise me cause the stereo was too loud so I would turn the Mac down and then I would get into the throttle and then she would chastise me cause I was going too fast and the car, and its exhaust tone, was too loud.
QSS
I think we married sisters. :)

Tomcat

GT Owner
Listen to Gilmore's guitar in comfortably numb at full volume and you'll appreciate it.
I was as driving into a rising sun on a smooth highway in the GT when "Another Brick in the Wall" starts on the Mac...!!!

Reactions: QuickSilverShelby

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
The Mac adds to the visual esthetics of the interior far more than the poorly located subwoofer detracts. There is something special and fitting about the American made Mac's looks that no other head unit can match even when turned off, which is how I keep it almost always while driving my car.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
The Mac adds to the visual esthetics of the interior far more than the poorly located subwoofer detracts.

You know what they say about opinions.

Here's mine: that sub is a tumor on an otherwise stunning supermodel.

I don't care if it sounds like Pink Floyd in the flesh.

And I don't care who designed it, it's a mistake on an otherwise nearly flawless ride.

Tomcat

GT Owner
When I looked at prospective GTs through the windshield, I too thought the sub woofer was intrusive/comical...but I have never noticed it once I bought it and especially not while driving it.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

+1

or the entire Supertramp album "Crime of the Century"

I always have the radio on in all my vehicles but never with either GT.

During winter, I listen in garage with the smart charger on but the engine off.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You know what they say about opinions.

I don't care if it sounds like Pink Floyd in the flesh.

And I don't care who designed it, it's a mistake on an otherwise nearly flawless ride.

Why not do the sub relocate? I did and love it.

Reactions: Ed Sims

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Why not do the sub relocate? I did and love it.

I ordered mine without the sub.

I like the sub relocate for those wishing to change however.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I think one of the best mods is the Mac relocate. Andy (Specracer) did mine one early Sunday am about 12 years ago.I was very impressed! As Andy is an impressive kinda guy!
I suck at that stuff.
But all this talk about driving your GT’s is making me desperate for spring time and driving season!
I do however like a little background music to drown out my wife’s screaming!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was as driving into a rising sun on a smooth highway in the GT when "Another Brick in the Wall" starts on the Mac...!!!

Roger Waters just announced a new tour "This Is Not A Drill" this morning. Got tickets already for Vegas on 4-Sep.