Comparing Cars With Different Number of Miles

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
You will see many late model Ferrari’s that are offered for sale before reaching 10 thousand miles. There is a self fulfilling prophecy that value drops after that. I believe this applies to other exotics as well.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
80 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot. You can find that in the Journal of Irreproducable Results if you look. Thanks DBK for limiting this stuff.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Most people that post for a period of years aren't actually in the market to buy a car, which is why I allow an extremely short leash for this type of posting. Prove me wrong.
I joined the forums in 2009 and I posted nearly nothing in 9 years. During those 9 years of tormented silence I dreamed of owning a FGT.

In 2018 I started posting about buying a FGT but I wasn't totally committed. In early 2019 I told myself "shit or get off the pot" ya wishy washy pansy!!!!! I think it was probably 12 months from my initial inquiries/posts/threats to buy a GT to the time I actually bought one in April, 2019.

I agree with DBK. If it goes on for years then it'll probably never happen. After all, 12 months of humming and hawing was a damn long time before I finally came to my senses and pulled the trigger :) .

QSS

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
My probable driving plan is 1,000 miles a year or so.
I put 1,417 miles on mine this past September 16th & 17th when I drove home from Vegas to Canmore, Alberta. 1,000 miles sounds kinda pedestrian to me :giggle: .

QSS

Reactions: Ed Sims and JWZ

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I’m considering that to get up into the $260k buy area, got an approval from a place just yesterday. I haven’t had a car loan in well over a decade now and the concept feels really strange, especially for a toy. Even bought my Diablo Roadster in cash.

It’s really surreal to be a pauper in a Ford forum 🤯 LOL
It's not a car loan. You're buying on margin with a guarantee. The payoff is smiles and maybe a few bucks for whoever sells it when you're dead but who cares at that point.

Mattksax

Jan 14, 2020
I joined the forums in 2009 and I posted nearly nothing in 9 years. During those 9 years of tormented silence I dreamed of owning a FGT.

In 2018 I started posting about buying a FGT but I wasn't totally committed. In early 2019 I told myself "shit or get off the pot" ya wishy washy pansy!!!!! I think it was probably 12 months from my initial inquiries/posts/threats to buy a GT to the time I actually bought one in April, 2019.

I agree with DBK. If it goes on for years then it'll probably never happen. After all, 12 months of humming and hawing was a damn long time before I finally came to my senses and pulled the trigger :) .

QSS
I’m in the same position as I just started looking to purchase within the past 30 days. Currently own several American muscle cars (chevelle/Camaro/impala.) Missing a Ford, and the GT is the one I want. Looking to drive and enjoy so miles don’t bother me. If someone has a 4 option car black/blue private seller I’d love to talk. I live in Dallas and can be reached by cell also. 214-497-1727, text or call.
Matt

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I’m in the same position as I just started looking to purchase within the past 30 days. Currently own several American muscle cars (chevelle/Camaro/impala.) Missing a Ford, and the GT is the one I want. Looking to drive and enjoy so miles don’t bother me. If someone has a 4 option car black/blue private seller I’d love to talk. I live in Dallas and can be reached by cell also. 214-497-1727, text or call.
Matt

i wouldnt overly focus on ‘4 options’. Most have all four of them, but wheels easily replaced. No top Stripe cars often little more desirable and side stripes removable. The mac stereo speaker ugly and who listens to the radio anyway. Seriously. Just find a good car in color you like.

Last edited:

Mattksax

Jan 14, 2020
Agreed. Look forward to finding one.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
You will see many late model Ferrari’s that are offered for sale before reaching 10 thousand miles. There is a self fulfilling prophecy that value drops after that. I believe this applies to other exotics as well.

This is so wrong with the FGT. That’s why people who don’t know these cars put too much emphasis on miles. Either buy to collect or to drive. If your going to drive the car, who cares! Just get a good car that checks out. I’ve also got a 72k km Diablo that I drive all the time!! Either your a collector or a driver. Nothing wrong with being a collector but you can’t be both.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Either your a collector or a driver. Nothing wrong with being a collector but you can’t be both.

Umm, no.

I have cars I collect that often sit and I have cars I drive as do many others.

Generally, the ones that mostly sit just aren't as much fun to drive as the ones that hit the road.

Even so, no desire to sell the queens, they have their place.

Reactions: Special K

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I certainly agree with this for how my search started, the market for higher mile cars with corresponding lower prices is just nuts. My probable driving plan is 1,000 miles a year or so.

I did 1000 miles in one day in my 2005 FGT....DFW to Scottsdale, AZ en route to Rally 3 in Vegas 😆

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
80 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot. You can find that in the Journal of Irreproducable Results if you look. Thanks DBK for limiting this stuff.
One can prove anything one wants with statistics.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
One can prove anything one wants with statistics.

In our Stat class in college we had to read "How To Lie With Statistics". In psychology class we used it as a reference manual :)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Drive far and drive it often. 1,000 a day is very doable.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I can do that in a good weekend.

Ed
I put 1k on both my Gt's the 1st week of driving them!

Reactions: Ed Sims

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I buy a car for how it makes me feel! Plus when I open the garage door and it screams to my senses to drive it!

Reactions: QuickSilverShelby
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Maybe we need to start a thread........Who's driven their FGT or NGT 1,000 miles in a weekend?

QSS

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Maybe we need to start a thread........Who's driven their FGT or NGT 1,000 miles in a weekend?

QSS

Why limit it to weekends? I've driven from New Mexico to Louisiana on a Thursday. And then went from Louisiana to Florida on Friday.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
In the motorcycle world there's an "Iron Butt" award for riding 1000 miles in one day. It's verified by odo pictures and gas station receipts etc. We need a thread on the 1000 mi/day guys on here :)

Reactions: BAT

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Drove to Atlanta and back for Petit LeMans.

Reactions: PL510*Jeff