collector car market

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
There are a lot less than 4000 left now...probably under 3000 from what I have read. I think the current generation of GT's will be worth a fortune in 20 years. Far more than they are getting now....and while I would hesitate to publish a guess here as to the numbers I have in mind...I'm sure it will be a big number.

I know that since I have purchased mine in the past few years, they have both appreciated faster than some of the real estate I have in my portfolio - and if I look at my investment gains (excluding the real estate portion) in the last 12-18 months, vs the last GT I bought 14 months ago, the GT has shown far more in gains than the rest of my portfolio.

Will they do as well in the long term as they have in the past 24 months? I believe so...

What is your opinion on the future value of your Viper?

Dolph

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
What value??? Viper has value? LOL

I paid 63k with 295 miles on the clock in 2008...it's probably worth 60's now, but when I got that car, it was a crazy find at that price. Most would have paid 75-80 or more new, and that car ain't worth close to that these days. It will certainly hold value better than say my Z06, but it's still a depreciating asset, unlike the GT's. Here in Canada, had I purchased the Viper at one of our dealers, I would have paid 108k new and maybe a few k less with 295 miles on it. It would have taken a good 40k beating easy at that price. I bought it in the US from a member on this board, and he bought it for the same brand new. That's about to change now with the new Viper which I believe will sell in greater numbers, lowering the resale value. I think more people will buy them as they're less scary now with all the nannies that car never had. FWIW.

Last edited:

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
I think the collector car market can be summarized in relation to value appreciation by saying that you have to buy a car where there is no new model coming out every year , the GT fits into that category plus relitively low production numbers , another car that will should do well would be the Porche carrera GT although i dont see that they are increasing in value just holding there own

Summary ........... if you want a car that stands a chance of appreciation just make sure it is being produced evry year like the viper , corvette ,

R8 , most F-cars , lambos , etc

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
What value??? Viper has value? LOL

I paid 63k with 295 miles on the clock in 2008...it's probably worth 60's now, but when I got that car, it was a crazy find at that price. Most would have paid 75-80 or more new, and that car ain't worth close to that these days. It will certainly hold value better than say my Z06, but it's still a depreciating asset, unlike the GT's. Here in Canada, had I purchased the Viper at one of our dealers, I would have paid 108k new and maybe a few k less with 295 miles on it. It would have taken a good 40k beating easy at that price. I bought it in the US from a member on this board, and he bought it for the same brand new. That's about to change now with the new Viper which I believe will sell in greater numbers, lowering the resale value. I think more people will buy them as they're less scary now with all the nannies that car never had. FWIW.

I agree with you whole heartedly. I think we all will be dead and gone before the Gen 3, 4 and 5s ever appreciate. We might see the 1 and 2s come up in value, but it sure isn't showing any now.

My FGT may be appreciating even now, but I'll never realize it because it will never be sold, it and my '64 Ford Falcon convertible, like I had in high school. O, the memories of both.

Dolph

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I am right there with you. Sure hope I would never need to sell.

But it sure is nice to watch and thing how smart we all were....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

And damage/repair (although done right).

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Surprisingly high. Mileage, accident, needs fuel filler, road rash on wheels, suspect fuel gauge (reads dead empty with engine running).

Last edited:

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
It's difficult to trust the stock market when the "fiscal cliff, a trillion dollar debt and welfare sucks us dry". And lets not forget our social security (when the time comes) may not even exist. Gold is so high it has to come down soon and I think cars like yours are the only reasonable safe alternative to your hard earned bucks that uncle sam can't get a piece of. IMHO. I would love to hear the real answer myself. As for our GT prices, they must still be launching them into the trees and that can't hurt those of us who have one still neatly tucked in the garage. I take a peek at X2 Builders site on ocassion and apparently left hand turns are not a good idea in a GT with your foot on the floor as there are plenty of RR sliced up GT's.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I am about to "pull the trigger" on a BMW Z8. It is one of the only cars in this market reasonably priced compared to new. Production nos similiar to the GT. Also similar to GT based on earlier cat (507) which is beautiful and highly collectible. Also BMW really does not have really any other production runs similar to it (M 1 maybe but not based on earlier car). Mercedes has its new "gullwing" but much higher price and continues to be produced. Carrera GT also a consideration but new Porsche super car being built (like Ferraris). Any thoughts?

Only problem ran out of room in garage. Considering storage lift. Any recommendations?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I am not a BMW guy, but I love the Z8. It is a rarity- a truly beautiful modern car. Prices are very strong. Buy it. As for a storage lift, any of the 7000lb capacity 4 post lifts are good for storage.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Buy Z8

Buy SLR (contrarian but it's McLaren)

Buy SLS

We are in AC Cobra / Vette 427 / Hemi 'like car nirvana today....in 20years they will call all current cars Hi-Po / big block

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Z8 is also going to be highly collectable. Great car, I've always admired it from the time it came out. I have a few friends that have and love them. Nice driving car!!!

Mooney56

GT Owner
Jan 21, 2012
Houston, Texas
Have owned my 1967 AC Cobra since 1978. Paid less than $10K for the car which was traded in to the Ford Dealership where I worked for a new 1978 Mustang King Cobra -- they were unloved during that period. Everyone thought I was crazy for buying a car in Houston without a top or windows. Drove the car to UT and parked it in the parking lot of my fraternity house. Had a lot of fun and even towed my sunfish with it. Put about 10K miles on the car and graduated. Bought an 82 Indy Pace Car Vette and parked the Cobra at my parents house. Still have it today and it is a true survivor car. It may be the only Cobra with a trailer hitch. The ROI is great but firing it up and driving it is even better.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Have owned my 1967 AC Cobra since 1978. Paid less than $10K for the car which was traded in to the Ford Dealership where I worked for a new 1978 Mustang King Cobra -- they were unloved during that period. Everyone thought I was crazy for buying a car in Houston without a top or windows. Drove the car to UT and parked it in the parking lot of my fraternity house. Had a lot of fun and even towed my sunfish with it. Put about 10K miles on the car and graduated. Bought an 82 Indy Pace Car Vette and parked the Cobra at my parents house. Still have it today and it is a true survivor car. It may be the only Cobra with a trailer hitch. The ROI is great but firing it up and driving it is even better.

Great story. I wonder if the guy who traded it on a King Cobra hanged himself yet.

1978-Ford-Mustang-King-Cobra.jpg

Last edited:

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Great story. I wonder if the guy who traded it on a King Cobra hanged himself yet.

View attachment 28763
LOL, I'll bet he hung himself during the first big runup of collector car prices in the late 80s.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
attachment.php

Isn't that a Pinto with an optional body?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
attachment.php

Isn't that a Pinto with an optional body?

No way. :biggrin

ford-pinto-photo-365085-s-1280x782.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
How can anyone not love the psychedelic cobra on the hood?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I spoke with someone who has been apart of Ferrari sales for almost 50 yrs. both at a dealership and privately with worldwide connections. Still brokers high end cars. I asked him about this crazy market. His take on it is it will continue to rise. Combination of baby boomers retiring and china, Russia, India, and Eastern Europe now in the market. Since Ferrari has the brand name, number one to rise. But only so many therefore other limited production cars are headed up as well. Though not as rapidly. So "enjoy the ride"