Collecting cars vs. guns

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Guns take up less space, have much lower maintenance cost and no annual registration fees.

The gains and losses can exceed those for most cars!

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/15/local/la-me-luger15-2010mar15

In 1949, collector Sidney Aberman bought the Luger for $150 from a friend who paid the same price for it five years earlier. After Aberman died, the gun was acquired by a California dealer who sold it to the Indonesian billionaire, Yani Haryanto, for $1 million. The Luger was since sold privately several times. Sunday was the first time it had been available for public bidding, Martin said.

Then sold in March 2010 for...

The gavel came down at $430,000 from an anonymous bidder. With the 15% buyer's premium, the 103-year-old weapon fetched $494,500.

Quite a swing in price!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Guns take up less space, have much lower maintenance cost and no annual registration fees....

At least, not yet....

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i used to collect guns and ammo and still do just not at the pace i used too. now i collect Gold and Silver. it takes up even less space than guns and ammo....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
i used to collect guns and ammo and still do just not at the pace i used too. now i collect Gold and Silver. it takes up even less space than guns and ammo....

It is a good thing you collect both, because one isn't any good without the other :)

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006
The luger was the .45 ca. Only 5 made. The #1 gun was destroyed in testing.The # 2 was the one sold.A luger dealer, ralph shatteck, is the current owner.

H

HHGT

How many shovels have you bought?

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
And where do you live again? :)

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
Do both. But for my part, I don't confuse "collecting" with "investing." A weapon's made to be shot; a car's made to be driven. When it comes to these two things, the "investment" ROI is measured by my enjoyment, not the eventual resale value I'm hoping to realize.
:)

fastzilla

Where's reverse?
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 17, 2010
San Antonio, TX
It's also much less expensive to deer hunt with a gun.... I also think there is less chance of having to one day surrender your cars to the government (to be destroyed).

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have a couple of shotguns and a couple of deactivated pistols (which I think are now illegal to buy in the UK, but legal to own if you've had them a while). All handguns are illegal in the UK following a school shooting ('The Dunblane Massacre') in which 16 five year old children were shot and killed....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
... All handguns are illegal in the UK following a school shooting ('The Dunblane Massacre') in which 16 five year old children were shot and killed....

When it becomes criminal to own guns, only the criminals will own them.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
When it becomes criminal to own guns, only the criminals will own them.

I think that may be true in the USA, but it has less meaning here. Gun crime in the UK is incredibly low when measured per capita, if you carry a gun it is highly likely that the police will shoot you... However gun crime is almost non existent here when compared to the USA.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
...if you carry a gun it is highly likely that the police will shoot you...

The same in many parts of the USA. In Oakland CA the BART police even shot an unarmed man laying on his belly while he was resisting arrest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Police_shooting_of_Oscar_Grant

Laws don't seem to stop the sales of drugs, or explosives, so I don't think they would do any better for guns. If you are willing to break the law, the law isn't going to stop you from doing so, it only raises the costs of the transaction or maybe jail time if you are caught.

Last edited:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
i used to collect guns and ammo...

I don't collect. I stockpile.

Semper Fi,

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I also think there is less chance of having to one day surrender your cars to the government (to be destroyed).
"From my cold dead hands!" Charleton Heston

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I think the latest stats showed nearly 100 gun related deaths per day in the USA against 40 a year in the UK (of which just 28 a year were by hand gun). So the whole gun thing is a bit alien to us. However if we were allowed to have them, I'd definitely have several!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I think the latest stats showed nearly 100 gun related deaths per day in the USA against 40 a year in the UK (of which just 28 a year were by hand gun). So the whole gun thing is a bit alien to us. However if we were allowed to have them, I'd definitely have several!

I am baffled, adjusted per capita UK has a almost a 2 times higher rate of gun deaths than the USA, but the US has a worst international gun image.

UK 365*40/60,441,457*1,000,000 = 242 deaths per million per year
USA 365*100/295,734,134*1,000,000 = 123 deaths per million per year

http://www.usa-vs-uk.com/population.html

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Guns take up less space, have much lower maintenance cost and no annual registration fees.

Unless your at my shop..........:biggrin

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I don't collect. I stockpile.

Semper Fi,

+1

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I am baffled, adjusted per capita UK has a almost a 2 times higher rate of gun deaths than the USA, but the US has a worst international gun image.

UK 365*40/60,441,457*1,000,000 = 242 deaths per million per year
USA 365*100/295,734,134*1,000,000 = 123 deaths per million per year

http://www.usa-vs-uk.com/population.html

I'm not sure those stats are quite right.

Out of 32 countries measured for gun deaths per capita, South Africa is the highest with 0.719782 per 1,000 people, the USA at 8th (just below Costa Rica) with 0.0279271 per 1,000 people and the UK at number 32 with 0.00102579 per 1,000 people. (Source: United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems).

Please don't misunderstand my musings, I'm not against gun ownership.... My broader point is that we were able to ban them before they got a hold and we have a low gun death rate as a result. In a country where the criminals are routinely armed with guns, I would have no hesitation in owning several guns and using them to protect myself.