Cobra Anniversary at Monterey Historics

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Who is taking their GT to Monterey this year?

I may go, not sure if I'll ship the GT from MIA to Carmel though

http://www.sportscardigest.com/cobra-featured-at-2012-monterey-motorsports-reunion/

Cobra Featured at 2012 Monterey Motorsports Reunion

The 50th anniversary of Cobra will be celebrated at the 2012 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion, scheduled for August 17-19 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Salinas, California.

Created by Carroll Shelby in 1962, the original Shelby Cobra quickly established itself as the dominant American competitor on the international sports car racing scene, narrowly missing the World Sports Car Championship in 1964 and winning the championship in 1965, a remarkable achievement “from scratch” against established European competitors. This success was prompted by a strong partnership between Carroll Shelby and Ford Motor Company. Shelby chose Ford engines to power his cars that consistently outperformed its competitors.

Next year will be the 39th year of historic racing at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Carroll Shelby was honored in 1997 at the formerly-named Monterey Historic Automobile Races®, and 2012 will be the first time the Shelby Cobra will be honored as featured marque.

The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion is an annual tradition that hosts approximately 550 authentic and historic race cars from nearly every decade of motorsports history. The cars are divided into individual groups according to age and engine size, and each one must be period-correct in their presentation.

For more information, visit www.MazdaRaceway.com.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I am considering going this year. I live about 120 miles away and have never gone. I have always had excuses not to go, but one day I really would like to go.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I am going Hubbster with my GT. I will be parked Saturday in the Shelby Club corral.

Ed

PS Change the number

Attachments

• Shelby Club mirror pass-1.jpg
    Shelby Club mirror pass-1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 359

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I am going Hubbster with my GT. I will be parked Saturday in the Shelby Club corral.

Ed

PS Change the number

I, too, have my Cobra Corral pass for my GT. I'll be parked there Fri/Sat/Sun.

Ralphie

See you there, Ed & Hubbster

Last edited:

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
I'll be there but not with my GT....but please look me up by asking for Steve Yankovich at the eBay booth and they will track me down...aside from meeting other owners and talking about our cars I'll try to setup anyone I can with flag room or Redbull center, etc. passes.

Tiny

Pelle51

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'll be there but not with my GT....but please look me up by asking for Steve Yankovich at the eBay booth and they will track me down...aside from meeting other owners and talking about our cars I'll try to setup anyone I can with flag room or Redbull center, etc. passes.

Tiny

I will be there this year, no FGT just enjoying the venue.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I'll be among the "enemy"......, I'm parking my GT in the Ferrari corral at turn 5 on Saturday. When the corral Marshall gives me dirty looks, I'll tell him the Ferrari wouldn't start again.....hahahaha. No, they actually are a bunch of good guys.

GTED

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'll be among the "enemy"......, I'm parking my GT in the Ferrari corral at turn 5 on Saturday. When the corral Marshall gives me dirty looks, I'll tell him the Ferrari wouldn't start again.....hahahaha. No, they actually are a bunch of good guys.

GTED

Good guys with bad sweaters!

Ed

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
The Historic Reunion is a great event. I had never gone before and I think it had a better than usual turnout with all of the Cobras and the 50th anniversary of the Cobra. They did parade laps with 175 Cobras, which was only a fraction of those present. I met a lot of very interesting people. I was walking down the hill from the corkscrew and saw a guy with a Texas Mile 253+ MPH club and asked the guy about his shirt. It was Kelly Bise from Texas who has the second fastest time with his Camaro at the Texas Mile. I ran into Adam Carola in the paddock and said hello, as well as going to the mens room with Bob Bondourand.

It was a fun weekend, so I think I will have to go more often!

It was great to See Ralphie and drive down with Ed Sims. I think I almost caught GTED on the way home, but had to turn East off of Highway 101, so I did not see who was driving the Heritage GT.

Last edited: