CNET: The Ford GT Story

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Good article with good info from some of our friends in Dearborn.

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-ford-gt-story/

From CNET Magazine: Cars are evolving, and even supercars need to progress if they want to stay ahead of the curve. This is the story of Ford's radical carbon-fiber wundercar, the Ford GT.

Our definition of the word "supercar" is continually evolving. Visual flair and remarkable speed have always been key for the hottest things on the roads. But last century's supercars sucked down premium fuel like fire-breathing monsters while doing everything they could to spin themselves into the nearest tree.

Today's supercar is a more refined beast. "Economical" is the wrong word to describe this new breed, but "sensible" comes close. McLaren's P1 is a plug-in hybrid capable of driving short distances without burning a drop of fuel. Ferrari's greatest, LaFerrari, pairs another hybrid system with a comprehensive electronics suite to keep ham-fisted drivers out of the ditch.

And then there's Ford's definition of "supercar." It's long, it's low, it's lightweight and, with 600 horsepower on tap from a twin-turbocharged motor, it promises to mix speed with economy. Meet the Ford GT...

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-ford-gt-story/

gt-design5716svenssonviganegometroscallum-hr.jpg

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Well written. Thanks Dave.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
The author of the article was on 'CBS This Morning' the other day and talked about the NGT, the presenters were pretty gob-smacked when he mentioned the $400K price tag...

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
I'm still shocked that the New GT is so (relatively) inexpensive. $400K for this car is a bargain now, and an outright steal 5 years from now, regardless of what happens at LeMans. If given the chance, anyone with the means and desire would be crazy not to buy 2, one for serious mileage driving and one to keep as garage jewelry.

Now the bigger question is, how do we get a peek at the underground GT studio at PDC, and the virtual showroom upstairs. That would be far out, man.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Great Article. Goes to show things can still be created outside of the corporate outline and for the pure joy of what makes all of us "car guys". Like the GT's before it, the new GT embodies all that is right about building a race car.

Vince H

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im with you there, on a high interest level, to see those places.

Now the bigger question is, how do we get a peek at the underground GT studio at PDC, and the virtual showroom upstairs. That would be far out, man.

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Has there been any mention of 6 point harness mounts yet? I know that DOT regs preclude the installation of harnesses by the manufacturer and that they are effectively not road legal, but will the phoenix GT have pre-drilled mounting points?

To anyone with authority (Raj) who might be reading this, could you please consider adding both driver and passenger mounting points? In addition to that, I would also request that some GT themed harnesses be made available through one of the Ford Performance/Racing/Motorsports divisions. Since I'm sure the FOMOCO lawyers would prohibit their access directly via the vehicle option list.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Im with you there, on a high interest level, to see those places.

Matt and Andy on point today. Looks like I'm going to have to wake up. (Agreed on seeing the studio.)

Vince H

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Hey Matt, did you attend the Rally? The access to program assets was well beyond the norm of what Ford permits access to. Perhaps Dave or Raj would like to elaborate further, but I don't see any additional access coming. It's a capital intensive, long lead business, and it is always a managed risk to permit non-employees to see processes and program assets. So, if you attended, smile, you enjoyed something special that few outside of the business get to see.

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Got it. Sorry if my tone implied a lack of appreciation for the incredible display at PDC, obviously not my intention.
Allow me to clarify. In the article that served as the basis for this thread, several journalists were granted access to the halls and lab where the secret sauce was brewed. I know that the purpose of that access was for everyone's edification; both GP and super-enthusiasts like most on this forum. I also understand that it would be impossible for Ford to grant this access to everyone or even half of everyone. However, if presented with an opportunity to have a peek for myself, I would certainly jump on it with both feet, and I believe that it rarely hurts to ask. :wink