Clutch Fluid Change

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
Sorry for the newbie question. My first time and the cars first time for fluid flush. I’m starting with the clutch and Motorcraft 5.1 fluid. Here is my question. The shop manual refers to 2 bleeder screws. I can see the one at the transmission but I’m. It seeing the “bulkhead” mounted bleeder. Not sure if bulkhead is the front A pillar area or the rear where the ending is mounted. I’m using a vacuum type bleeder so can someone tell me where the 2nd bleeder is or if it is sufficient to just use the bleeder mounted at the transmission.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I just bled it from the transmission area bleeder. There are several threads on this,but important to keep reservoir filled at all times during the process. Reservoir drains fast.

Reactions: Jeff Romig

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
One bleed(at slave) and refill. Repeat until clean.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The bulkhead (or firewall if you prefer) bleed site is in about the middle, not too teardown from the window. DoT 4 is probably your best bet. There was just a thread about this recently.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
DON'T bother with the middle bleed screw near the firewall - not necessary.

1. Use a syringe and get all of the fluid our from the reservoir.
2. Use a cleat cotton cloth to clean the now-empty reservoir
3. Fill with fresh fluid (we use Mortorcraft High Performance Dot 3)
4. Someone inside the car to pump and hold clutch pedal down
5. Bleed at rear-most nipple at the transaxle (passenger side) - Open and close bleed nipple
6. Person inside car lifts clutch pedal with toes, pumps again and holds down
7. Repeat 5 and 6 until fluid coming out is clear

IMPORTANT: Check and fill reservoir frequently during process. It is tiny and you can only get 2-3 bleed cycles before you risk sucking it empty!

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Exactly as Kendall says - my only little added tip would be use a bungee cord to pull the clutch pedal back up - it's easier than using your toes...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The procedure here at Cool Tech is that I get the prima donna driver's seat spot (me with the big toes), Ryan back at the transaxle, and solicit wife or daughter at the reservoir to maintain fluid level. LOL

Reactions: GT101

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
The procedure here at Cool Tech is that I get the prima donna driver's seat spot (me with the big toes), Ryan back at the transaxle, and solicit wife or daughter at the reservoir to maintain fluid level. LOL
Thanks. I had purchased a vacuum type bleed tool and did clutch and brakes today. Used the Motorcraft DOT 5.1 fluid for both as recommended on the forum. The vacuum tool is awesome and made it an easy one man job. My 2005 which I’ve owned for a year has 2,800 miles and the fluids had never been changed. The clutch fluid was particularly dark while the brake fluid was relatively light in color. All went very well and happy to have this job behind me. No it’s on to coolant flush, gearbox oil, fuel filter and belts. Learning a lot about the car in this process. The forum provides awesome help!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
The coolant will require a vacuum refill. Do a search.