Clutch Carnage

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Photos of Spec Clutch

Just thought I would share a couple of photos of my new Spec clutch, received today. Spec gave me a 24 hour turnaround on the parts (had to send the factory stuff down to them); great service from those guys. The new clutch discs are a copper ceramic material. In the second photo you can see one of the original clutch discs for comparison purposes.

spec1.jpg

spec2.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
GREAT pix!

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
jaybnve

What is the weight your clutch ? I tired to pick one up at the PRI Show in Orlando,Fl; at the AP booth last year; BUT, I couldn't, It was so HEAVY!!!

AMB

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Clutch weight

AMB said:
What is the weight your clutch ? I tired to pick one up at the PRI Show in Orlando,Fl; at the AP booth last year; BUT, I couldn't, It was so HEAVY!!!

AMB

Boy, you're not kidding, especially when you have to ship them back and forth across the country using overnight delivery :frown Cost me a freaking fortune! As I recall, the packaged weight was about 35 pounds for the clutch assembly, and another 18 pounds for the flywheel. Those numbers may not be exact, but they are close.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Jay, at the beginning of this great thread (thanks for all the pics and info), you wrote, "On the way back from the event, I started to experience slippage in sixth gear, so I figured the clutch was toast.".

Sixth gear!!?? I think there is some kind of trophy for getting it into 6th gear. I once got mine into 5th gear but I ran out of road. If we could only have a lane dedicated to supercars in North America, wouldn't that be nice. BTW how fast did you get it b4 it started slipping?

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Well....

Red Rocket said:
Jay, at the beginning of this great thread (thanks for all the pics and info), you wrote, "On the way back from the event, I started to experience slippage in sixth gear, so I figured the clutch was toast.".

Sixth gear!!?? I think there is some kind of trophy for getting it into 6th gear. I once got mine into 5th gear but I ran out of road. If we could only have a lane dedicated to supercars in North America, wouldn't that be nice. BTW how fast did you get it b4 it started slipping?

Hate to disappoint :lol , but the slipping was occurring at normal highway speeds, around 70 MPH. In steady state cruise conditions there was no slipping, but going down the highway in sixth gear, if I gave the car a little throttle, the engine RPM would increase by 600 or so, and then drop back down before the car would start to accelerate. This didn't seem to happen in fifth gear or lower gears, probably because of more "leverage" available in the lower gears to move the car. As I understand it, this is a pretty typical way for clutch failure to present itself.

I've never had the car really wound out in sixth gear. I usually run out of road halfway through fourth :biggrin