Clutch Carnage

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Some of you may have read my post in the racing section entitled "Drag Week 2006". I had my GT at a drag racing event sponsored by Hot Rod magazine, and won my class. During the course of 40+ passes at the different drag strips, I learned about how to make my bone stock GT leave the starting line the quickest. The best way I found was to slip the clutch at the starting line while keeping the engine RPM around 4000 or so. This produced the best 60 foot times, and the quickest overall ETs.

Unfortunately, this technique also produced a lot of heat, and I smelled burning clutch quite a few times at the track. In fact, a friend of mine took some videos of the car making some passes, and in a couple of them you could see clutch smoke trailing out behind the car as it left the starting line. On the way back from the event, I started to experience slippage in sixth gear, so I figured the clutch was toast.

Last week I got it in to have the clutch replaced, and wanted to share the following photos. With the transaxle out of the car, I must say that I was stunned by the aluminum space frame in the GT. It is simply artwork. The guys at the shop where I'm having the work done do a lot of Ferraris and other exotics, and they also were very impressed, saying the frame looks like it came out of a $400K car. The engineering is superb.

transout.jpg

transou1.jpg

I was also stunned by the clutch damage. The throwout bearing is completely toast. I have attached some pictures, and one is of the new throwout bearing. It has a green rubber dust shield around it, and a rubber seal at the front. Looking at the picture of the old throwout bearing, still on the transaxle input shaft, that dust shield is completely melted away, as is the rubber seal at the front of the bearing. The flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch discs have been exposed to extreme heat; in fact, on the engine side of the flywheel, you can see teardrop shaped discolorations in the metal (blueing) where the pressure plate bolts come through the flywheel. Obviously a big heat path there. On the friction surfaces, if you feel them with your fingers, all the mottled spots shown on the photos are raised areas, where metallics in the clutch disc have actually transferred to the pressure plate and flywheel and welded themselves in place. Although the pictures don't show it very well, the flywheel and pressure plate are also blued from the heat that they experienced.

newthrow.jpg

throw1.jpg

flywheel.jpg

flywhel1.jpg

clutch1.jpg

The lesson for me is that if I'm going to take the car back to the dragstrip, and I want to go fast, I'd better run some drag tires on the car, so I can just dump the clutch when I leave, rather than slipping it. But I doubt that I'll do that anytime soon; I took the car on Drag Week to prove a point about the versatility of the vehicle, and after winning my class I think I'll just retire it to normal street asphalt carving, and perhaps the occasional open track day at a road race course.

Being somewhat crazed (like many of you I'm sure), I decided that as long as the transaxle was out of the car, it was a great opportunity to put on headers :biggrin . So, I ordered up a set of the Ford headers, and an SCT tuner from MMP last Thursday. A big thanks to the forum for all the posted info regarding exhaust systems, and also pointing me towards MMP. I'm looking forward to getting it back next week, and opening 'er up to check out the effect of the modifications...

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
What kinda' times did you run at Drag Week?

btw.. that release bearing is toast... it must have really been hot in there...

mardyn

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Clutch Question

jaybnve,
Good report.
Thanks for the info & pics.
I have also noticed the best launch technique is as you described.
No issues with my clutch to date, however my launches have been limited to an occasional stop light street race, nothing as extreme as you put yours through.
Are you replacing your clutch with a non-stock set up?
If so what are you replacing it with?

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Drag Week Times

mardyn said:
What kinda' times did you run at Drag Week?

btw.. that release bearing is toast... it must have really been hot in there...

mardyn

Depending on my launch, I ran anwhere from 11.70s to 12.30s. Best ET was 11.74, and best MPH was 125. Typically, I ran in the 11.90 to 12.0 range at around 121 MPH.

I think "hot" doesn't begin to describe it :lol

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Spirit said:
Are you replacing your clutch with a non-stock set up?
If so what are you replacing it with?

Nope, going with the stock setup. To be honest, I'm not aware of any non-stock clutch setups available for the GT, and I didn't really look for any. If I have any more problems with the clutch I'll consider aftermarket, but the factory setup ought to be OK, I think, provided I stay off the drag strip :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Jay

That was an interesting post and series of photos... I kind of hope I never have to see those parts exposed in mine..!

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
jaybnve said:
And if one of the moderators can explain to me why they are showing up as links, rather than as pictures inserted in the post, I'd appreciate it...

Jay
all attached pictures >1 in one Thread will be shown as links only. If you want to show the pictures directly you'll have to attach only one pic per Thread.

Desi

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Desi said:
Jay
all attached pictures >1 in one Thread will be shown as links only. If you want to show the pictures directly you'll have to attach only one pic per Thread.

Desi

Thanks Desi!

Jay

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Desi said:
Jay

Desi

Alternatively you can host your pictures elsewhere and post IMG links. Then you can have multiple photos in one post.

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Florida Chris said:
Alternatively you can host your pictures elsewhere and post IMG links. Then you can have multiple photos in one post.

Hey, that works! Thanks - Jay

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you for sharing

It would appear to me that the gal did her job well and now simply needs a bit of refreshing; NBD. The price one pays to play as you did.

I was told that the process (second hand) to remove the transaxle to replace the clutch was not difficult. Did you find this to be true; were there any issues worthy of sharing?

All the best with your gal. It is obvious that you have been enjoying her.

Takes care

Shadowman

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Transaxle removal

The only issue on getting the transaxle out is that it kind of has to porpoise itself over the crossmember that goes directly underneath it as you are pulling it back from the engine. I watched mine come out (have a good friend at the shop where it was done), and he had the car up on the lift, and used one of those portable roll around hydraulic hoists to get the transaxle out. He chained the transaxle to the hoist, and then it came straight back a few inches, then the back had to come up as it was pulled out a little further, then it was put back level to move it back a little more, and finally the back came down and front went up as the front end of the transaxle was moved past the crossmember. Then, the hoist came down, and that was that. I wouldn't want to try it without that roll around hoist, but with it there was really no problem.

Aug 25, 2006
jaybnve said:
The only issue on getting the transaxle out is that it kind of has to porpoise itself over the crossmember that goes directly underneath it as you are pulling it back from the engine. I watched mine come out (have a good friend at the shop where it was done), and he had the car up on the lift, and used one of those portable roll around hydraulic hoists to get the transaxle out. He chained the transaxle to the hoist, and then it came straight back a few inches, then the back had to come up as it was pulled out a little further, then it was put back level to move it back a little more, and finally the back came down and front went up as the front end of the transaxle was moved past the crossmember. Then, the hoist came down, and that was that. I wouldn't want to try it without that roll around hoist, but with it there was really no problem.

Great info

Thank you

Shadowman

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
spec clutch makes a stronger clutch for the gT

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Thanks for the info!

Thanks, I didn't know that. I couldn't find the part on their web site (specclutch.com), but maybe I'll give them a call on Monday morning. I suppose I could still return the factory parts, since we haven't started to install them yet. Sounds like that clutch will hold a lot of power, but does anybody out there have any experience with the spec clutch, in terms of everyday driveability?

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
jaybnve said:
Thanks, I didn't know that. I couldn't find the part on their web site (specclutch.com), but maybe I'll give them a call on Monday morning. I suppose I could still return the factory parts, since we haven't started to install them yet. Sounds like that clutch will hold a lot of power, but does anybody out there have any experience with the spec clutch, in terms of everyday driveability?

The Spec clutch is what piko6 ( Joe ) and Torrie are running in their twin turbo GT's. If it works for Joe, it will work for anybody. Tony of HP Performance in Jacksonville could help you with this. Both Tony and Joe swear that it is definitely the clutch to have for even stock replacements. Apparently excellent in day to day conditions as well.

Terry

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
jaybnve said:

You might send a note to Stefan (SFL360) I believe he has installed a non-factory clutch in his GT.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Florida Chris said:
You might send a note to Stefan (SFL360) I believe he has installed a non-factory clutch in his GT.

Yes Chris,

you are correct. I got a custom SPEC clutch, the same like Piko6 and Torrie will get (he's waiting for my piece to return to TonyG). It is perfect. Awsome, and durable. The Ferrari Racing guys here that installed it say it reminds them of what they put in the Racing Ferraris for the Challenge cup in.

They were also complementing the spaceframe, and found the car very impressive indeed..

At first then I had some clutch shudder, but by now (some 300miles later) it rides perfectly smooth and is slippable like the original (that virtually got pulverized in mine..) I found it helps to do some downshifts in highway situations to break it in nicely, as was suggested by Neilda.
I was REALLY afraid I would get one like the metal clutch I got once on my Prodrive Subaru Rallye STI that was (as all metal clutches) zero slippage (horrible to drive, I had it exchanged), but the GT clutch is now perfect and darn strong (copper ceramic).

I can only recommend to get that one, QUICKSTANG (Tony from HP Perf in Fla) can get you the piece or the details what to get. I think it is called the SPEC three plus or so, custom for the GT.
It will not go to shreds, like your standard one will, sooner or later depending on your driving and how many modded horsepower you put through your powertrain.....

I also did what Jaybnve did, like changing the headers to catless at the occasion, but need to get an optimized tune for this reflecting the different backpressure situation with the cat's out. Got the SCT Xcal 2 Tuner here, can someone with the same setup (FRPP catless headers, FRPP Borla exhaust) send me a file (in .LL3 form) for this ?
Or, what did you modify to reflect/offset the backpressure changeover !?
Maybe I start a specific thread on that one..

Stefan

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
Thanks for the info...

Stefan, I appreciate the feedback. I'd been thinking about this a little over the weekend, and gave Spec clutch a call this morning. Their Spec 3+, which is what I think you probably have, is supposed to be good for 800 HP, and also smooth street operation, as you reported. Spec quoted me $699 if I sent them my factory clutch to have it converted. Unfortunately, my original clutch was exposed to so much heat that I think the diaphram fingers in the pressure plate have probably been damaged, and according to Spec they don't replace those. So, I'm going to take the brand new Ford clutch that I just purchased, and send it to them for the upgrade. They promised a 24 hour turnaround, which I appreciate because I'd rather not have the car down for any longer than necessary.

So, when its all back together, I should be ready for a Whipple :biggrin

Jay

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
jaybnve said:
So, I'm going to take the brand new Ford clutch that I just purchased, and send it to them for the upgrade. They promised a 24 hour turnaround, which I appreciate because I'd rather not have the car down for any longer than necessary.

So, when its all back together, I should be ready for a Whipple :biggrin

Jay

Good choice ! You will be very satisfied. Just remember you need to give it some break in time in the beginning...

rugged stuff....