Cluster module Failure

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
When i bought my 2nd GT everything checked out except the fuel gauge which we thought at the time would be an easy fix. We replaced the fuel gauge twice thinking the second one might be defective but the problem still persisted. Luckily Rich Brooks came by the house and we discussed possible options and thought at the time that the worse case scenario would be a new gas tank. Once we got the car up to Detroit and Rich got to work on it he figured out it was the cluster module that controls the signal between the tank and the gauge. What we didn't expect is that a tiny little box would be so damn expensive. Rich says its the first faulty module he's ever seen fail on a GT so I'm just posting this so my fellow GT brothers know in case they ever come across this issue some day.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Good to know. Thanks

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I replaced all my small gauges in Detroit last summer by the GT guys. Unfortunately I needed a new tach and was on back order, I finally replaced it myself this past winter, new gauge would not work! Dealer called ford for another replacement gauge and before replacing the new gauge ford had technician come to my garage, and via a plugin and laptop had to "reset " the replacement gauge. Not sure if cluster was involved in the reset but it works since. I too was afraid the cluster module would need replacement. Any comments from our "tech gurus"!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
When I picked up my GT at the dealership, we filled up the tank with fuel. I then drove about 100 miles, and my gas gauge read about 3/8 full. Worried that it was using a lot of gas (or that we hadn't filled it completely), I filled up - but it only took ~ 4-5 gallons. Climbing back in, I took off and the gauge read ½ full - so I drove the remaining 300 miles and filled up every 100 just in case. Calling my Master Technician at the agency, he made suggestions - Chevron gas, wait to get more miles, etc. When I finally got it back to the dealership, they determined that the software programming of the module (4G7Z10E994AA) was in error. In one day, Ford sent a new replacement module to Texas to have it programmed, and it arrived in San Diego at about noon. After the replacement, the gauge read the level as designed. I just looked up that part - WOW, I hope no one ever has one fail! -

View attachment 42538

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
When i bought my 2nd GT everything checked out except the fuel gauge which we thought at the time would be an easy fix. We replaced the fuel gauge twice thinking the second one might be defective but the problem still persisted. Luckily Rich Brooks came by the house and we discussed possible options and thought at the time that the worse case scenario would be a new gas tank. Once we got the car up to Detroit and Rich got to work on it he figured out it was the cluster module that controls the signal between the tank and the gauge. What we didn't expect is that a tiny little box would be so damn expensive. Rich says its the first faulty module he's ever seen fail on a GT so I'm just posting this so my fellow GT brothers know in case they ever come across this issue some day.

Do you have a pic where the module is located?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It's under the dashboard and gauges right about where the OBDII connector is. Look for threads on how to change the gauges. The gauge harness goes to the module.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Wow. I consider myself lucky that I did not mess that part up when I changed out the gauges to Speedhuts!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
any Ford dealer worth a grain of salt and including myself can easily sell that module for $3,000.00 less than that price! that's full SRP and that's ridiculous!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I'd sooner reverse engineer, redesign, and make a new one by hand than pay that price.
Maxemus, thanks for starting the thread. As these cars get older, the Forum technical archives will provide the collective knowledge on how to fix and maintain them.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I'd sooner reverse engineer, redesign, and make a new one by hand than pay that price.
Maxemus, thanks for starting the thread. As these cars get older, the Forum technical archives will provide the collective knowledge on how to fix and maintain them.

My pleasure Pete.