Chromed or powder coated black wheels

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Gentlemen,

I am trying to decide whether to Chrome or powder coat my wheels black.

I am using the base wheels and wonder if anyone has pictures of either base wheels or other wheels that are chromed or polished so I can see what they look like.

When I'm done I'll put Bridgestones om them.

I have a black stripe delete GT.

So guys please post your pictures.

gg.jpg

Thanks in advance

H

HHGT

Honestly, I would seriously consider painting them. If they are chromed, repaint may be a tad difficult. I painted my extra set of 6 spoke orange for the Heritage and they came out excellent.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I thought about poweder coating but some say the heat would make the aluminum brittle (upgraded wheels) so I found a painter and had them painted black except for the lip.

The painter was one of the guys that paint commercial hand rails with an epoxy paint that is electrically bonded.... Came out great

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Where's your "FORD GT"?

FastFords

Apr 20, 2011
I found some pics of chrome GT wheels, but not on a black GT.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?9906-Factory-Chrome-wheels-on-the-Ford-GT
chromegtwheels001os2.jpg

chromegtwheels008tk1.jpg

However a black GT looks better with black rims....
http://www.eliteautosllc.com/vehicles.php/mode/view/id/175
!!eutqBQ!WE~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl1JwPBJ0TYHNSTg~~_4.JPG

!!eutqD!!WE~$(KGrHgoH-EMEjlLlt44QBJ0TYN7S3!~~_4.JPG

http://www.iforgedlifestyle.com/?p=182
blkford2.jpg

blkford3.jpg

Hope this helps you. You can powder coat aluminum alloy rims without damaging the integrity of the aluminum. You just have to use low heat in the baking process. ADV.1 I believe powder coats their wheels for example.

Last edited:

fordgtforsale.com

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jun 8, 2007
I would say black powder. Find the right guy that can do low heat powdercoating if you think you will be tracking it. Can't really go wrong either way and you can also re-powder the wheel, or chrome over the powder if you don't like it (or vise versa).

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I thought about poweder coating but some say the heat would make the aluminum brittle (upgraded wheels) so I found a painter and had them painted black except for the lip.

The painter was one of the guys that paint commercial hand rails with an epoxy paint that is electrically bonded.... Came out great

I had my optional wheels painted for the same reason. Very happy with the outcome.

I believe that manufacturers account for the additional heat required in powder coating when forging the wheels.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
What is the OEM finish on the stock wheels? Paint or Powdercoat? I would follow Ford's lead.

H

HHGT

What is the OEM finish on the stock wheels? Paint or Powdercoat? I would follow Ford's lead.

Paint with a clear, hence my suggestion.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thank you O wise one!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I must be a stick in the mud. For me a wheel on any car should be some form of silver. Be it cast aluminum gray and polished rims, Paint or chrome or a combo of any two. And this for every car and every color. I have a hunch the murdered out wheel look will appear very dated in a few years.

Like I said, stick in the mud. :biggrin

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I must be a stick in the mud. For me a wheel on any car should be some form of silver. Be it cast aluminum gray and polished rims, Paint or chrome or a combo of any two. And this for every car and every color. I have a hunch the murdered out wheel look will appear very dated in a few years.

to that point I have a original set up BBS wheels on the wall

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Before

IMG-20110223-00025-2.jpg

After

IMG_0934-1.jpg

I like angry black!

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Doug,

I do like the mat black on the upgraded BBS rims, would like to see what mat black looks like on a stock rim.

Stu

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas

If you really think about it, painting a wheel silver is just as arbitrary as painting it any other color.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If you really think about it, painting a wheel silver is just as arbitrary as painting it any other color.

absolutely true, It has just been the standard for so long I have grown to like it best.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Pictures of wheels

I took Stu's advice and did some Photoshop work to see what the wheels would look like.

I used AZSTAD pictures of his car as he has the black Savini wheels, which I think are beautiful. (Hope you don't mind my friend )

Because AZSTAD does not have the side stripe, and I do. I think that the contrast with the all chrome wheels is stunning.

I would be chroming the original standard wheels:

So hopefully you guys will chime in and tell me what you think:

I already know empty pockets wants to save me some money , and I respect that. But I'm thinking a little bit of bling on the car would add a little bit more class to an already magnificently designed car. Remember I also have the blue nuclear reactor light.

Thank you guys for your opinions and advice in advance ............. see you at the rally:

GT_side_high23.jpgGT_side_high2.jpg

Last edited:

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
As you know it all comes down to what you like but if you want my vote it would be the black rims you posted above. Would still need to see a stock rim in black to really compare apples to apples.

Stu

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
As you know it all comes down to what you like but if you want my vote it would be the black rims you posted above. Would still need to see a stock rim in black to really compare apples to apples.

Stu
I agree with Stu on the black over the chrome!!!!!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Honestly, I would seriously consider painting them. If they are chromed, repaint may be a tad difficult. I painted my extra set of 6 spoke orange for the Heritage and they came out excellent.

I agree, I did the same thing with my Heritage wheels. It actually was delivered with the light BBS wheels, I bought the standard wheel, painted the centers orange like the 69 LeMans car, and they wear like iron and look great.