Check Engine Light Petition

H

HHGT

"NO POLITICS PLEASE"

I sort of agree with the initiative but not sure why this needs to be petitioned that high up the government food chain. Is this typical?

Technically speaking this is very simple to implement and I thought Lexus has done this for a while........................

A car's generic "check engine" light makes it easier for dishonest mechanics to take advantage of unknowing customers. Considering other car features that are federally-mandated — like tire pressure sensors and airbag warning lights — wouldn't adding one to actually help the consumer make sense? It may be the only type of federal-required feature that makes sense.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitio...gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I just use a OBDII USB code reader attached to a laptop, those that have an iPhone can get one using bluetooth. It even works on my BMW. :lol

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I had a long post about this then got timed out apparently and lost it all...

Long post condensed:

If you want to know what code your vehicle is throwing, go to the local Pep Boys and ask to borrow their scan tools. They have been loaning them out for years.

My problem with people getting this information is that diagnostic codes are not always specific and only give a trained technician a general idea of where to look and what to look for. Just because your car is telling you that you have a faulty O2 sensor, doesn't mean you actually have a faulty O2 sensor...Could be an intake air leak, could be a cracked manifold, could be a failed catalytic converter. Informing consumers of what could be going on with their cars in my opinion will only lead to problems in accurately diagnosing and fixing the problem.

H

HHGT

I had a long post about this then got timed out apparently and lost it all...

Long post condensed:

If you want to know what code your vehicle is throwing, go to the local Pep Boys and ask to borrow their scan tools. They have been loaning them out for years.

My problem with people getting this information is that diagnostic codes are not always specific and only give a trained technician a general idea of where to look and what to look for. Just because your car is telling you that you have a faulty O2 sensor, doesn't mean you actually have a faulty O2 sensor...Could be an intake air leak, could be a cracked manifold, could be a failed catalytic converter. Informing consumers of what could be going on with their cars in my opinion will only lead to problems in accurately diagnosing and fixing the problem.

I agree. However, when a woman, teenager or non car-person is driving the car and they get the engine check light, the first reaction is OMG! the sky is falling. What would be the best remedy? Perhaps a simple explanation and the level of urgency!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I agree. However, when a woman, teenager or non car-person is driving the car and they get the engine check light, the first reaction is OMG! the sky is falling. What would be the best remedy? Perhaps a simple explanation and the level of urgency!

Yep… my wife=chicken little

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City

The level of urgency is currently differentiated by a solid light versus a flashing light for immediate attention needed.

I do agree however there needs to be a better understanding of the warning system as a whole.

On the flip side there are people driving around ignoring the light because they see no immediate problem and end up doing long term damage.