Carroll Shelby Sold Out Long Ago

GOOGLEVP

Jan 16, 2006
I don't recall if Carroll Shelby had anything to do with the new Ford GT. I have a real problem with his latest get money now programs. He tattooed his name on that fake 67 GT500 from that Eleanor movie (after the fact). I can't believe people pay 180k for one. Give me a break my friends and I have been building those crappy clone cars for years. Now he is doing those 65 GT350 's for 160k. Why doesn't Lee Iacoca put his name on a regular 1971 Barracuda convertable, put a Hemi in it and sell it as a Hemi-Cuda for 3 million? I have no problem with the 2007 Shelby Mustang GT500. It's a new production car that he helped design. I am in awe of his former contributions to the muscle car era but lately he has been chasing the almighty dollar.

kdmfnrk

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2005
i hate the eleanor cars you could not give me one at no price i never stop to look at them im a big big ford fan and have had many rare fords and love fords i have no problem with the new shelby either but to me its not a shelby it didnt go through carroll shelby,s garage then its not a shelby but i will own one because of who it is and because i like the car

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
GOOGLEVP said:
I don't recall if Carroll Shelby had anything to do with the new Ford GT. I have a real problem with his latest get money now programs. He tattooed his name on that fake 67 GT500 from that Eleanor movie (after the fact). I can't believe people pay 180k for one. Give me a break my friends and I have been building those crappy clone cars for years. Now he is doing those 65 GT350 's for 160k. Why doesn't Lee Iacoca put his name on a regular 1971 Barracuda convertable, put a Hemi in it and sell it as a Hemi-Cuda for 3 million? I have no problem with the 2007 Shelby Mustang GT500. It's a new production car that he helped design. I am in awe of his former contributions to the muscle car era but lately he has been chasing the almighty dollar.
Your singing to the "Choir" on this one. I have 2 "real" Gt500's and I'm thankful to Shelby for building these cars, But his Eleanors are overpriced "Crap". Anyone who pays $180K+ for one of these needs serious therapy. There not "Real" Shelby's. Your Analogy about the 71 hemi Cuda is right on the money. I think shelby's Greed or his Ego got the best of him. Too put these Eleanors in the registry with my Shelby's is an Adbomination.

kdmfnrk

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2005
after reading the other post by googlevp bad mouthing the gt i will not respond to any other post from him

GOOGLEVP

Jan 16, 2006
FORDGT001 said:
Your singing to the "Choir" on this one. I have 2 "real" Gt500's and I'm thankful to Shelby for building these cars, But his Eleanors are overpriced "Crap". Anyone who pays $180K+ for one of these needs serious therapy. There not "Real" Shelby's. Your Analogy about the 71 hemi Cuda is right on the money. I think shelby's Greed or his Ego got the best of him. Too put these Eleanors in the registry with my Shelby's is an Adbomination.

Thank God there is still sanity out there.

GOOGLEVP

Jan 16, 2006
kdmfnrk said:
i hate the eleanor cars you could not give me one at no price i never stop to look at them im a big big ford fan and have had many rare fords and love fords i have no problem with the new shelby either but to me its not a shelby it didnt go through carroll shelby,s garage then its not a shelby but i will own one because of who it is and because i like the car

Isn't that the greatest scam pulled over in automotive history. You sound like a clear thinker. Too bad you didn't appreciate my first post.

The Architect

Ergo..vis a vis...concordantly
Jan 1, 1970
The Source
GOOGLEVP said:
You sound like a clear thinker. Too bad you didn't appreciate my first post.

This "place" is relatively uncensored.

However, I advise you to consider contributing something positive in nature, as you've chosen to make your 2 introductory threads decidedly negative. :bored

TLP

Jan 21, 2006
OK so I have been reading a while and figure its time to post. Thought I would wait till the GT was parked in the garage but sometimes its hard to bite the tounge! I guess its the fingers in this case?

So why is he a sell out? Lets see the guys dedicated his whole life to cars, represented numerous companies with the highest degree and because he has decided to make money he has lost his integrity? What do you all think of the highest paid athletes of this world? Shchue must be a sell out, he could have raced for free! :thumbsdow

Fact is the guy made some great cars in the sixties, obviously he can still do so. The world has changed as we all know, so why shouldnt he be allowed to capitalize on his name. Nobody twists wrenches like they used to so why should he? Why not slap Lee's Icoca's name on something? Because nobody cares about having his name on their car, its simply not as well known otherwise he would be doing it!

Fact is something is worth what one is willing to pay. Look at googleVP here, he would have us believe he's a VP of an automated telephone book. Esentially something we could all do ourselves, look something up! Heck me and my friends have been looking things up by ourselves for years, Sometimes we would look things up for others or pass on information for free, why should a company like google be worth a dime doing this?

End of the story is this, if you dont like what the guy is selling dont buy it. His latest offering out perform his old ones and if you think it cheapens the real thing you have to ask yourself if the real thing hasnt been over valued for a long time. After all if a shitty elanor can garner 180k with his name on it why should a 67 performance car with 1967 technologies that couldnt touch one of the elanors in performance be worth 180K? Simply because it has his ( the Shelby)name on it.

P.S Googlevp after reading a few of your posts it obvious you know very little about the FGT, hopefully you are here to learn and not just bash. Shelby had a lot to do with this car as a consultant but far more with the history and its safe to say without him, his Mustangs, His Cobra Coupes there would be no GT story at all.

Last edited:

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
TLP said:
OK so I have been reading a while and figure its time to post. Thought I would wait till the GT was parked in the garage but sometimes its hard to bite the tounge! I guess its the fingers in this case?

So why is he a sell out? Lets see the guys dedicated his whole life to cars, represented numerous companies with the highest degree and because he has decided to make money he has lost his integrity? What do you all think of the highest paid athletes of this world? Shchue must be a sell out, he could have raced for free! :thumbsdow

Fact is the guy made some great cars in the sixties, obviously he can still do so. The world has changed as we all know, so why shouldnt he be allowed to capitalize on his name. Nobody twists wrenches like they used to so why should he? Why not slap Lee's Icoca's name on something? Because nobody cares about having his name on their car, its simply not as well known otherwise he would be doing it!

Fact is something is worth what one is willing to pay. Look at googleVP here, he would have us believe he's a VP of an automated telephone book. Esentially something we could all do ourselves, look something up! Heck me and my friends have been looking things up by ourselves for years, Sometimes we would look things up for others or pass on information for free, why should a company like google be worth a dime doing this?

End of the story is this, if you dont like what the guy is selling dont buy it. His latest offering out perform his old ones and if you think it cheapens the real thing you have to ask yourself if the real thing hasnt been over valued for a long time. After all if a shitty elanor can garner 180k with his name on it why should a 67 performance car with 1967 technologies that couldnt touch one of the elanors in performance be worth 180K? Simply because it has his ( the Shelby)name on it.

P.S Googlevp after reading a few of your posts it obvious you know very little about the FGT, hopefully you are here to learn and not just bash. Shelby had a lot to do with this car as a consultant but far more with the history and its safe to say without him, his Mustangs, His Cobra Coupes there would be no GT story at all.
Should a Fake Picasso Painting bring as much money as a real one??? maybe the newer paints used might actually look better then the original paintings. Your missing the point which is when you own 2 GT500's like I do its unacceptable to me to put these Phony Eleanors in the registry.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
agreed on the fakery issue...like if you can't afford aHD cruiser why buy a 'fake' Star MC?...and as for googlevp...dude you sure know how to piss peole off...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
off-topic...

GT703

GT Owner
Oct 17, 2005
Pennsylvania
Shelby selling out to who??

I agree that Mr. Shelby does seem to be everywhere these days but in a free market the buyer decides the "value" of any given item.

I have previously owned a few of his "original" cars but I don't feel that anything that he does will negatively affect the value of his older cars. Carroll is 80 years old with more than a couple of replacement parts and is entitled to do anything he wants. If the marketplace doesn't agree...it won't buy the item. For the record, I don't think that the "new" releases are worth what they sell for and haven't owned an original Shelby product in 15 years.

Since his heart transplant he has been rather philanthropic in his Shelby Children's Heart Fund. If he can give a little back, hurt no one and make a few bucks in the process.....who are we to judge???

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I guess I'm more of a Purist when it comes to cars such as these. there are too many "Rappers" and other "Idiots" who don't understand what #'s match means. Most of them would buy a bronzed Cow "Turd" if it had the right emblem on it. :willy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The most copied sports car is the Cobra replicas. Guess the most copied car in the world are tuperware 32 Fords. Shelby has made some mistakes, who hasn't. $600k was spent for the first GT500 at B-J. Shelby is a legend and one of my idols. If it would not have been for Shelby the original Ford GT's would not have won LeMans. Guess that also means no FORDGTFORUM either?

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
bony said:
The most copied sports car is the Cobra replicas. Guess the most copied car in the world are tuperware 32 Fords. Shelby has made some mistakes, who hasn't. $600k was spent for the first GT500 at B-J. Shelby is a legend and one of my idols. If it would not have been for Shelby the original Ford GT's would not have won LeMans. Guess that also means no FORDGTFORUM either?

Extrapolating further, if the GT40 didn't win LeMans, there wouldn't be a current-day Ford GT, either, let alone this forum!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I've met the man, I love the man, I respect the man..he's an american legend and we all own him a debt of gratitude...give the man a damm break.