Carroll Hall Shelby, Dies today at age 89

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
He was a heck of a guy who accomplished so much in his life. It was truly an honor to have met him. I'm taking the Shelby#18 home tonight.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great Memories That Will Last Forever. Dave, Carroll truly cherished the opportunity to meet you and to see first hand the Ford GT community you introduced him to. Additional pictures.

Attachments

• 2007 GT Forum Rally 8-1-07 036.jpg
    2007 GT Forum Rally 8-1-07 036.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 279
  • Copy (3) of 2007 Keels & Wheels Carroll Shelby 001.jpg
    Copy (3) of 2007 Keels & Wheels Carroll Shelby 001.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 2007 Keels & Wheels Carroll Shelby 037.jpg
    2007 Keels & Wheels Carroll Shelby 037.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 271

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Sad sad news. We have so much for which to thank him. His contributions, style and tenacity will never be forgotten.
May he rest in peace.
Rich

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Sad day for America, Ford and all car lovers.

Thank you for all you have done. :usa

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Godspeed to you, Sir. I am thankful you blessed us with your presence here. The world has been a better place because of you.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Wow, I just put in a order this morning for a 2013 GT 500. That may end up being a keeper.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
See how excited he was to meet me. Who could blame him?

MeShelby.jpg

My 11 yr/old daughter just got done writing a report about him and Jim Hall called Great Inventors of Our Time." (she is mildly influenced by her old man).

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Huge loss:( I never met him. But I am a huge fan. What he did for american racing, sport cars and his charities. He stood up to Europe's best and was a winner. America's Enzo and then some. Felt like I lost a good friend. RIP

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
See how excited he was to meet me. Who could blame him?
View attachment 24779

Mark,

You two look like brothers!!!

Chip

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Fascinating guy. Probably signed more than Richard Petty so you guys with all the visors and glove compartments don't get too excited .

Maybe the most amazing accomplishment was living 22 years post heart transplant . Also some pretty wives including actress Jan Harrison.

They broke the mold with old Shel.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Fascinating guy. Probably signed more than Richard Petty so you guys with all the visors and glove compartments don't get too excited .

Carroll's signatures were to support his foundation.

Note that his obit asks for donations to the foundation in lieu of flowers.

We did ours in 2009. We sold the Shelby GT Mustang that was full proceeds to the foundation. The night we had both cars (I had two) at the Shelby American Collection Christmas party and told him of our decision we met for about 10 minutes. He asked "Are you serious" and we told him that it was already in the block (that day, with lots of help from Gary Bennett) and that it was a done deal.

I am proud to have made that contribution and to have known him.

Our cars would not have existed without his contribution. He made "the GT40 work". The entire Cobra industry - the most copied kit car in the history of automobiles - would not exist without Carroll.

Gotta go now.

Last edited:

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
When I met him in 2007 all he wanted to do is talk about the GT. R.I.P Carroll

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 277

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Because of him a lot of people have had a lot of fun......from spectators to owners to industry. Quite an impact for one guy.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
From the local media. The Shelby American Collection is about 10 miles from where I live and is my connection to Carroll. We met several times there over the past few years.

BOULDER - Carroll Shelby, the legenday car designer and champion auto racer, had plans to visit Colorado in September.

He passed away Thursday night in Dallas, Texas, after battling pneumonia. He was 89.

A large collection of some of the most famous cars bearing Shelby's name are housed in Boulder.

The Shelby American Collection has some of the most famous Shelby American cars every built. The display is through the generosity of many Shelby owners and collectors.

Among the rare cars that can be seen there include: a Daytona Coupe, a large collection of GT40's, Shelby Mustang GT500's and 289 and 427 Cobras.

This is the 50th anniversary of the Cobra and a special event was planned for Sept. 8 at the Shelby American Collection. Carroll Shelby was scheduled to attend, in addition to other notables, including Bob Bondurant, Jack Sears and other Shelby American team members.

The Shelby American Collection is a not-for-profit and open to the public on Saturdays. The address is 5020 Chapparal Court in Boulder. Admission is $5 and the collection is open from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Mark,

You two look like brothers!!!

Chip
That is officially my favorite 'Chip Beck Quote' now! Thanks

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I'm probably not qualified to post.. never met him.. but.. Every time I've seen him on TV I found myself paying close attention, even in the most commercial of events. I'll admit I don't know the details but it seems he has been in "bad" health for decades. Couldn't tell by listening to him, not an ounce of feeling sorry for himself. Always excited at the task at hand. Full life, no regrets. We all should be so endowed. RIP legend.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm probably not qualified to post.. never met him.. but.. Every time I've seen him on TV I found myself paying close attention, even in the most commercial of events. I'll admit I don't know the details but it seems he has been in "bad" health for decades. Couldn't tell by listening to him, not an ounce of feeling sorry for himself. Always excited at the task at hand. Full life, no regrets. We all should be so lucky. RIP legend.

Carroll was the oldest living and longest living heart transplant recipient.

As someone said in another article I saw a while ago he was "running on aftermarket parts". I chuckled.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Carroll was also the longest living double transplant recipient , Heart and Kidney. He said many times that the doctors told him he would only live 5 years. At the Pederson museum with the GT Forum Group he would not sign many things because he was almost totally blind in his right and he didn't want to ruin any signed article. The lighting in the room that night was very poor. He stayed at the dinner until everyone at the rally dinner had their picture taken with him then he walked to the escilator, gave Sue and I a hug and said "these are my kind of people, they all own vehicles I built." He always gave me a hug when we parted and he would say "we need to be careful hugging in public, these days". He would say " all my old friends are gone now and I need that hug. Your dad Gene Hamon and I drank a lot of whiskey together over the years" They really did as my dad was wild, crazy, loved life and fast cars like Carroll. Enough said for now. Oh the memories at races when I was 18,19 and 20 yrs. old.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Truly, an American icon! He achieved greatness. He will be missed, but will not be forgotton... May he rest in peace.

GTED

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
What a man. Lived life to the fullest and loved by everyone. We should all be so lucky. Not a sad day, but a day to celebrate a man that did a lot of great things for other people and now no longer has to battle his old age. He is young again and in a better place. Thank you CS for all you have done for us all!