Car won't start :(

1931imperial

GT Owner
May 15, 2006
Got in the car this morning and the starter doesn't work, but the car appears to have power and the fuel pump appears to be working. We tried to push start the car but it wouldn't fire. Any ideas ? :confused

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
make sure the clutch is pressed ALL the way down.......?????:confused

CBReFLeX

Jul 3, 2007
Port Charlott FL
make sure the clutch is pressed ALL the way down.......?????:confused

If that was the problem it should have started when they push started it.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I'm not suprised at all that push starting won't start a GT with a dead battery. The ECU seems particularly sensitive to lower battery levels. Replace the battery and you'll be fine. Our batteries DO NOT revive well from the dead, so save yourself some time and simply replace it and enjoy your car!

1931imperial

GT Owner
May 15, 2006
The car appears to have power everywhere I just can't get the starter to turn. We thought of the clutch but as was pointed out earlier that should not have stopped the car from starting with a push. We considered the crash switch that kills the fuel pump but you can hear the pump come up to pressure.

It almost seems like some kind of interlock is not being made but I'm not sure which one. I saw in other posts issues with grounding on the frame from the battery not sure how prevelant a problem this is but we'll be looking into that as well. We're going to try disconnecting the battery and reseting the system.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
check out the ground cable from the battery to the frame.:thumbsup

Woboose

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 2, 2006
Malibu, CA
I'm betting on Todd...

Where the ground wire from the battery attaches to the frame - it does so between a painted bolt/screw and a painted frame. Minor design oversight, major hassle to diagnose. Simple fix. Take off the ground wire at the point it attaches to the frame. Wire brush or sand that tiny spot clean - to the bone. Reattach (with locking washer) TIGHT. Jumpstart (if dead), drive and enjoy.

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
This may be silly question but, if it is not grounded correctly, would you still have power to evrything else?

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
This may be silly question but, if it is not grounded correctly, would you still have power to evrything else?

the starter pulls a lot of juice when you turn the key. (have you noticed your headlight dim when you start a car) most acc. draw small amounts of current.
So they can run thru a loose ground but when you need more amps the ground doesnt work.

Woboose

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 2, 2006
Malibu, CA
ground

Not silly. The battery likely has enough juice to carry some of the peripherals for awhile. But, without a SOLID ground its not man enough to **** with the starter. In fact, if you hit it with a solid overnight charge or a new battery you'll be romanced into a false sense of security - that is until you try to start it the next day.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
In the keyhole that opens the gas door, if you turn it the wrong way it turns on the anti-theft or may disable the starter.

Never heard of that before anyone care to elaborate please ? :shrug

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Never heard of that before anyone care to elaborate please ? :shrug

+1

(I feel a "read your owner's manual" comment coming!)

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
I don't have the manual close by at the moment(or the car) you can try it if you like. If I remeber correctly, turn the key the opposite way that you would to open the fuel door. I think it arms the anti-theft system. I am going off memory here, I encountered this over a year ago with a friends car. He called me from a gas station with same situation. It was his first time putting fuel in. After having him show me exactly what he did, we traced it to the afore mentioned key turn. Like I said, I don't have access to manual or car at the moment, (TDay relatives and plans) but I can read up on it later this weekend. I think this is a way to arm your car if you don't have the key pad.(or dis-arm)

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Where the ground wire from the battery attaches to the frame - it does so between a painted bolt/screw and a painted frame. Minor design oversight, major hassle to diagnose. Simple fix. Take off the ground wire at the point it attaches to the frame. Wire brush or sand that tiny spot clean - to the bone. Reattach (with locking washer) TIGHT. Jumpstart (if dead), drive and enjoy.

+1

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The key lock on the gas cap has nothing to do with locking the doors or setting the alarm. The car does have an AUTOLOCK feature that must be enabled with the key in the ignition (default is disabled).

CBReFLeX

Jul 3, 2007
Port Charlott FL
Did you ever get it to start?? :ack