Capitalism at its best....!??

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
America, what about risk and reward... Screw up, and hit a jackpot on the way out...:wink

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Gap Inc. was already struggling when it brought in Paul Pressler as chief executive more than four years ago. Those troubles look even more daunting as the clothing retailer ushers Pressler out the door with a $14 million severance package that leaves him in a lot better shape than the company he departs.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
America, what about risk and reward... Screw up, and hit a jackpot on the way out...:wink

This is nothing. You ought to research what our congress members have set up for themselves as they waltz out the door. Taken as a group, there's no bigger bunch of self serving screwups on the planet.:bang :mad

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That's nothing. You should see what we do with our athletes and coaches.

-My beloved Pistons just picked up Chris Webber on the cheap for about 600k after the Sixers bought him out for the final two years of his deal at $25 million. So he'll be collecting about $1 mil a month to not play basketball in Philadelphia.

-This is two years removed from us paying to get rid of the absolute cancer that is Larry Brown. We paid him $6 mil for the year and about $10 mil to go away. He went straight to the Knicks, which he denied while he was still the Pistons coach. He subsequently publicly trashed the Knicks so much that they paid him $18.5 million to go away after one year in addition to the $10 million they paid him for his one year of service. So this asshole collectes almost $45 million in two years just for being a jerk making his employers rue the day they signed him on.

-Dikembe Mutombo played 24 games in New Jersey before they waived him for a mere $30 million. He subsequently signed with the Knicks, who immediately traded him to the Bulls, where he never played a game before getting shipped to the Rockets to collect an additional paycheck there.

-The Knicks payed Shandon Anderson, a player whose career is mediocre at best, $20 million to pack his bags.

-And the undisputed King of All Unscrupulous Assholes, Alonzo Mourning. Unquestionably turned from one of the most sympathetic NBA figures into the most horrendous idiot ever seen. Long story short, signed with the Nets, realized they weren't that good, dogged it, then decides he's "injured" and openly lobbied for a trade. They trade him to Toronto, he refuses to report, the Raptors are forced to buy him out for about $10 mil. He is magically healed and signs with Miami and plays harder than ever.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Guy had no clue, came from Disney who is not a retail - merchandise company, no fashion feel, sacred of meeting and talking and listening to staff, the press and business world, fired top Banana Republic and Gap people, missed Christmas.
Rape of the stockholders.... as usual

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Guy had no clue, came from Disney who is not a retail - merchandise company, no fashion feel, sacred of meeting and talking and listening to staff, the press and business world, fired top Banana Republic and Gap people, missed Christmas.
Rape of the stockholders.... as usual

The "stockholer rape" of all time was 'what's his name' at Exxon ... '$900 million parachute, or whatever it was.

Sorry. NOBODY's CEO abilities are worthy of THAT kind of money - especially when he's goin' out th' door. I don't care HOW MUCH money "he" supposedly made for the company.:mad

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That's nothing. You should see what we do with our athletes and coaches.

-My beloved Pistons just picked up Chris Webber on the cheap for about 600k after the Sixers bought him out for the final two years of his deal at $25 million. So he'll be collecting about $1 mil a month to not play basketball in Philadelphia.

-This is two years removed from us paying to get rid of the absolute cancer that is Larry Brown. We paid him $6 mil for the year and about $10 mil to go away. He went straight to the Knicks, which he denied while he was still the Pistons coach. He subsequently publicly trashed the Knicks so much that they paid him $18.5 million to go away after one year in addition to the $10 million they paid him for his one year of service. So this asshole collectes almost $45 million in two years just for being a jerk making his employers rue the day they signed him on.

-Dikembe Mutombo played 24 games in New Jersey before they waived him for a mere $30 million. He subsequently signed with the Knicks, who immediately traded him to the Bulls, where he never played a game before getting shipped to the Rockets to collect an additional paycheck there.

-The Knicks payed Shandon Anderson, a player whose career is mediocre at best, $20 million to pack his bags.

-And the undisputed King of All Unscrupulous Assholes, Alonzo Mourning. Unquestionably turned from one of the most sympathetic NBA figures into the most horrendous idiot ever seen. Long story short, signed with the Nets, realized they weren't that good, dogged it, then decides he's "injured" and openly lobbied for a trade. They trade him to Toronto, he refuses to report, the Raptors are forced to buy him out for about $10 mil. He is magically healed and signs with Miami and plays harder than ever.

I believe the English Cricket Team, their coaches and ALL equipment are currently available for under $12.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I believe the English Cricket Team, their coaches and ALL equipment are currently available for under $12.

12 US, or 12 aussie $ !?:biggrin

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
How about Bob Nardeli...came from GE to Home Depot 6 years ago...last few years has been paid in excess of $30 million per year while HD stock has suffered...an arrogant bean counter so focused on the bottom line, his policies drove customers to a continually prospering Lowes, and he turned Home Depot into a store a majority of its dwindling US customer base loves to hate. He resigned rather than face termination with a exit package in excess of $200 million.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Many examples can be given of people who get paid big $ and screw up. But, in a free market economy something is worth what somebody will pay for it. Was it a good deal, or a bad deal? Sometimes it takes a while to find out.

Does 5.5 mil sound reasonable for a 40 year old Cobra? I don't know, but I will defend, to the death, the right of the two parties involved to make the deal that they think works for both of them.

It's their business, their decision, their rights.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
How about Bob Nardeli...came from GE to Home Depot 6 years ago...last few years has been paid in excess of $30 million per year while HD stock has suffered...an arrogant bean counter so focused on the bottom line, his policies drove customers to a continually prospering Lowes, and he turned Home Depot into a store a majority of its dwindling US customer base loves to hate. He resigned rather than face termination with a exit package in excess of $200 million.

I READ SOMEWHERE THAT THE ONLY REASON SOME PEOPLE ARE STILL ALIVE IS BECAUSE IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO KILL 'EM.

MONEY SUCKING CEO'S HAVE TO BE IN THAT GROUP SOMEPLACE.

Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
MONEY SUCKING CEO'S HAVE TO BE IN THAT GROUP SOMEPLACE.

WHOA!!:biggrin

I thought that was "MONEY SUCKING LAWYERS" have to be in that group someplace.:thumbsdow

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005

Does that include the pitch? I assume that reflects value after losing to the Kiwis by 120.

But football/soccer players can get more money than US atheletes.

Dave

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal

hahahaha.

I'll go in halves.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
WHOA!!:biggrin

I thought that was "MONEY SUCKING LAWYERS" have to be in that group someplace.:thumbsdow

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!
Throw THEM in there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!