Can you still order a GT?

M

Mark O

Or, I should say, can I still order a GT at this date? If so, can I go to any dealer that sells them, or are those dealers alloted so many. Thanks! :thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
A dealer has to have an allocation for a GT. Ford is producing about 180 GT's per month, and assume that cars in May's production are already spec'd out and mostly unchangeable by now. So, you have cars scheduled for production in June, July, and August (final month of production) or about 540 cars remaining. You will need to find a dealer who has one of these 540 cars and is willing to let you specify what you want in color and options.

M

Mark O

Thanks for the info. There are 2 dealers in my local area who have a red & white GT. Not trying to sound arrogant, but what I can't stand is walking into their showrooms & having flunkie know-nothing sales vultures (who admit that they are ignorant about the vehicle) treat me like I'm just some a$$hole off the street. Much like you were buying a Focus, the vulture makes you wait in the cubicle while he gets info from the G/M and it goes back & forth. :bored

You would think that if someone is considering buying a vehicle that costs $160,000 plus, the buying experience should be just slighly more professional. (sarcastic) To say the least, it is very, very discouraging. :thumbsdow

Last edited:

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I has always been my experience that you never just show up at a dealership for a specialty car.

Call in advance, ask about the vehicle, is it in stock... (even though you know it is) Tell them what time you'll arrive.

Every time I do this, for a specialty car that is, the GM or sales manager or whatever is their waiting for me. No dealing with the flunkies.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Agreed. Call the owner or GM. Leave messages if necessary. If no returns, you probably don't want to do business with them anyway. I get the royal treatment at my Ford dealer.

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
At our dealership if anybody is interested in the GT on showroom they are immediately turned over to the GM or GSM. None of the 'vulture' salesman are involved in the sale of it.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Have a little respect for the sales guys who sell the car and know every thing their is to know about it. Do you know how many times Bozo's and tire kicker's must walk in and ask a million stupid questions just to hear themselves talk about this car while the sales guy might be missing out on a contractor who wants to buy 2 or 3 trucks for his business? Most Ford stores won't even see one of these cars and the big stores that might see a few are getting a few on an allocation because they are a big volume store so needless to say the sales guys are concentrating on what they've been selling for years, not the miniscule chance of selling a GT. And I'm sure any sales guy with Ford experience would pick up on the details of this car in a half a day of study. Hell the block stems from a Lightning pick-up truck! Even worse are the bottom feeders who are looking for a "big discount". Show a little courtesy and respect to the dealer you buy the car from, you WILL need them down the road. P.S. Next time you're waiting in the Doctor's office for three hours and he sees you for three minutes and tells you to get some rest and drink lots of fluids, tell him what a Bozo he is too!!! :thumbsdow

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
And just remember all the years of schooling, hours of on-call time for years, huge amounts paid in malpractice insurance, and the lawsuit challenges faced by that Bozo physician. Your comparison is ludicrous and absurd. And the car salesman?

M

Mark O

bigdan40 said:
Have a little respect for the sales guys who sell the car and know every thing their is to know about it. Do you know how many times Bozo's and tire kicker's must walk in and ask a million stupid questions just to hear themselves talk about this car while the sales guy might be missing out on a contractor who wants to buy 2 or 3 trucks for his business? Most Ford stores won't even see one of these cars and the big stores that might see a few are getting a few on an allocation because they are a big volume store so needless to say the sales guys are concentrating on what they've been selling for years, not the miniscule chance of selling a GT. And I'm sure any sales guy with Ford experience would pick up on the details of this car in a half a day of study. Hell the block stems from a Lightning pick-up truck! Even worse are the bottom feeders who are looking for a "big discount". Show a little courtesy and respect to the dealer you buy the car from, you WILL need them down the road. P.S. Next time you're waiting in the Doctor's office for three hours and he sees you for three minutes and tells you to get some rest and drink lots of fluids, tell him what a Bozo he is too!!! :thumbsdow

I do have respect for those salespeople who DO know about any car that they sell, however, with all the new vehicles I have bought over the past 22 years, my experience has shown me that the percentage of sales people who actually know something.....anything about the product they sell is very little. I'm not talking about specialty cars either, rather everyday passenger vehicles and work trucks. While I have bought about 20 or so new vehicles, I'll go as far as to say that I can count on one hand the amount of times a salesperson was even fairly knowlegable about their product. I am in sales & I know my products inside and out, but it amazes me how many sales people there are in the auto industry who are ignorant about the products they sell.

Perhaps it's my advanced age & lack of patience, but I've grown to hate having the sales vulture sit me down in his cubicle & then play the same old game once again of having him go back & forth to the "big guy" to negotiate the price. I believe that this tactic is only done simply to wear a person down. Buying a car should be a fairly simple process, but I've experienced it taking hours. Why???? In fact, when buying a new vehicle, why is the sales vulture actually needed? Simply, all they are is a courrier between you and the "big guy" who actually negotiates the price. And why would you say that we would be needing the sales vulture "down the road"? Once the car is sold, he's done with you & you're done with him. A couple years later when it comes time to buy another car, it's very likely that "that" salesperson will be long gone.

I'm sorry that I touched a nerve with you, but I think that the majority of people here would agree with me.

Last edited:
M

Mark O

centerpunch said:
I did not mean that all car salepeople are bozos.

But let's face reality, most are. :lol

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Ordering a Car

To order a new car with the options you want and pay list price you need to locate a dealer that has or had a 2005 and experianced a long sales time/the lack or a get rich quick sales price/still has the car. Typically these dealers are in small markets and not interested in tieing up their cash a second time now that they hype is over. An assured sale with a substantial downstroke where the dealer has no funds tied up in the car goes a long way to a sale.

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
We sat on one for a few months but finally got $225k for it.
We have a Yellow/Black on the floor now with the same price on it.
Doesn't it cost quite a bit of $$ to keep it on the floor? :confused

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Any dealer who has a firm line on a $225,000 price is a dealer who is not serious about wanting to sell his car.

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
92NSX said:
We sat on one for a few months but finally got $225k for it.
We have a Yellow/Black on the floor now with the same price on it.
Doesn't it cost quite a bit of $$ to keep it on the floor? :confused

Yes, but when did you get the 225 price ?

It is very very difficult to believe that it was recently and/or a true arms length transaction.

There are any number of stupid price cars in dealers (but they tend to be 2005's (wonder why ??) and clustering in Florida . The Platonic form of the stupid price philosophy is a a 1992 Viper that has never left the showroom floor at the Brandon, FL Dodge dealer. A marketing genius. At one point in time the price was 1 mil (and virtually all 1992's had the defective engine).
Like Bob Lutz said about Maybachs : "shows that there just arent that many stupid billionaires" ...substitute "millionaires that live in caves" as I would assume stupid prices are not financiable.

BTW: the dealer receives or received an 1800 "advertizing credit" on GT's and no payment for 90 days to Ford.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Mark, I'd agree with you on sales people in general terms. I've spent a hideous amount of money on cars over the past few years - and the sales executives have been, by and large, useless, I certainly wouldn't employ them in my organisation.

I walked into the Aston Martin garage on Park Lane about 12 weeks after buying a brand new Vanquish, the 'sales guy' walked up to me and said 'can we help you sir? Are you interested in buying an Aston Martin?' I took the time to explain to him that firstly I had not gone through any radical plastic surgery and that he should remove the word 'sales' from his title. I won't bore you with the Lamborghini sales people.... :ack

The Range Rover people were even worse.

Sorry, off topic really and I guess all of us have our horror stories.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
I'm astonished at the commentary given here! Their are so called professionals in every field including physicians "fjpikul" that are clueless at what they do. I did not mean to direct my comment specifically at "Doctor's", I was merely trying to suggets an example of how sometimes any career field can be extremely unforgiving and unprofessional to the public! I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying call a spade a spade. How many times have we gotten bad service at a so called five star restuarant, does that mean all waiters are Bozo's? Would you give that restuarant another chance because the food was good but the service stunk? Hell, if I'm buying a GT I'm doing my own research anyway! I've been in the car business for twenty years and have dealt with many arrogant know it all's over the years. I've had seven figure income clients practically cry at my desk over five bucks a month on a lease payment. You deal with that crap everyday and see if yyou might have a different perspective on the subject. I won't defend the slacker who doesn't deserve a thumbs up whatever the profession might be but give these guys a break and leave your preconceived notions at home.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
You are quite right of course.

However it is, perhaps, easier to forgive a $5 potato being served badly than a $300,000 car. One expects a slightly better service.

It is also true that one might expect better service buying an Aston Martin than one might buying a Toyota. In my experience the Toyota experience is far better than the Rolls Royce one!

Ultimately it comes down to customer care and passion for the job. I have not had the good fortune to meet one of these....

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Hello Neilda. I'm sorry that some or all of your experiences have been negative, :thumbsup but should you ever decide on an Acura I promise you a buying experience second to none! Well wishes too you...

M

Mark O

bigdan40 said:
should you ever decide on an Acura I promise you a buying experience second to none! Well wishes too you...

One of the better, and most recent, car purchases I had was last fall when I bought an Acura TL. The absolute worst experience for me was when I bought a company Dodge Sprinter van last August. Maybe Acura's training weeds out bozos from selling their product line.....................but I will still stand by my previous statements about *the majority* of car sales people. :biggrin

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Custom ordering

Mark O said:
Or, I should say, can I still order a GT at this date? If so, can I go to any dealer that sells them, or are those dealers alloted so many. Thanks! :thumbsup

Hi Mark
I also a late comer to the party and would like to custom order a car. If you find more than one dealer willing to spec out a car for you let me know and I'll do the same for you if my research uncovers anything. Good Luck hunting.