Can FGT shocks be rebuilt

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Is there a kit available to rebuild our stock shocks? My right rear shock is leaking with only 7K easy miles on them.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Unfortunately not. Sealed units. Buy another OEM shock, which can fail again or go aftermarket. Many here have gone with Scott Ahlman's Ohlins which are rebuildable and adjustable.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Is their a kit available to rebuild our stock shocks? My right rear shock is leaking with only 7K easy miles on them.

No the stock shock is sealed. It appears the leaking shocks heavily happen on lower mileage cars. I believe it happens when the car sits for long periods and the shaft seal dries out and then the next time it is driven damages the seal.

Scott

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Another reason to drive the GTs:)

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Thanks Scott. I try to get mine out for a few miles every couple of weeks. Guess even that is not enough driving. I just replaced it with an OEM shock at $502. Would love to install your suspension system, but no one close that I would trust to install it. Maybe someday the stars will align and I'll be where it can be done.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If you installed the OEM shock, you can install Scotts, he sends them ready to go. Simply remove OEM shock and spring, bolt the new one in, VERY easy.