Bubbling paint on calipers near bleeding screws

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Yesterday, I noticed for the first time after washing the car that the red paint was bubbling around the bleeding nuts of the red calipers. I'm so glad I didn't high pressure the wash or it would have peeled it right off. Has anyone had this?

Yes, on one bleeder. Remember, brake fluid is a great paint remover! All it takes is a little leakage during brake bleeding and presto! Crinkly paint around the bleeder. Maybe some day I'll repaint the caliper, but I drive my car regularly, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Reactions: GEE-TEE

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Unfortunately, this is increasingly common and can be exacerbated with brake bleeding. If you do elect to have the brakes bled, have a clean, water-drenched cloth rag handy. After closing off the bleed nipple, use the wet cloth to thoroughly clean the area around the nipple. It will help to mitigate what GEE-TEE describes. Brake fluid is NASTY stuff when in contact with paint.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Prior to wet rag, great idea, I never thought of. After you close the bleed screw, the screw body remains full of brake fluid, which can migrate past the rubber cap onto the caliper. Take an air nozzle and blow out the residual fluid. Put a rag all around to catch the fluid blow out.

Last edited:

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Unfortunately, this is increasingly common and can be exacerbated with brake bleeding. If you do elect to have the brakes bled, have a clean, water-drenched cloth rag handy. After closing off the bleed nipple, use the wet cloth to thoroughly clean the area around the nipple. It will help to mitigate what GEE-TEE describes. Brake fluid is NASTY stuff when in contact with paint.
Thank you. Unfortunately the last time the brake fluid was done was when the car went to Galpin for airbag recall. I wish it had been you. Thank you guys and like Vince said I'm not gonna worry about it too much and maybe another 10k miles ill consider repainting them and sprucing up the car. Lately I also notice a lot of cracking noises along the door, roof and dash and probably has to do with rubber getting old and dry. Thanks to Macintosh I can ignore that😅

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yes indeed the brake fluid will strip the caliper paint. Someone pointed it out on mine and I tightened it down and never had any more...

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Lately I also notice a lot of cracking noises along the door, roof and dash and probably has to do with rubber getting old and dry.

The seller of the GT I just bought is a retired rubber and plastics chemist and knew applying WD40 to the car's rubber once or twice a year would keep it soft, and it worked; they're perfect. Of course, it spent nearly its entire life in a climate-controlled garage with its cover on, soooo yeah, there's that too.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I redid my calipers in powdercoat.

So far it's holding up well.

morsben

Jun 5, 2020
Have the same issue, and I'm thinking of painting them using G2.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Have the same issue, and I'm thinking of painting them using G2.
Mine seem to be bad on the rears only so far but will consider having them redone in the future. What is G2?