Bring a Trailer wallops the big auction houses!

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Have you been following Real Estate? Or groceries?
Yes for sure but those are necessities.
I understand why collector cars appreciate, and that's a good thing especially the 05/06 GT'S as they rightfully should.

I've just never remember such a dramatic sharp increase like we are seeing now, all in just the past 6 months or so. Crazy at Mecum!

Its definitely not a buyer's market.
That train left the station.

Reactions: 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yes for sure but those are necessities.
I understand why collector cars appreciate, and that's a good thing especially the 05/06 GT'S as they rightfully should.

I've just never remember such a dramatic sharp increase like we are seeing now, all in just the past 6 months or so. Crazy at Mecum!

Its definitely not a buyer's market.
That train left the station.

Maybe people looking for hard assets to move their rapidly depreciating cash into??

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Have you been following Real Estate? Or groceries?
Of course. How can you not?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
And another BaT sale: 2006 Heritage 1900 miles, $641K.

After the auction commissions and fees, this seller made more, and the buyer paid less, than the similar one with fewer miles at Mecum last week.

Reactions: 2112

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
What are the tax liabilities on these sales? If none because of personal property, might be driving prices higher too.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What are the tax liabilities on these sales? If none because of personal property, might be driving prices higher too.
You'll owe sales tax on purchase price in most states.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
You'll owe sales tax on purchase price in most states.
For the seller

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Capital gains for seller, sales tax for buyer. Tax man makes out even better than Dana.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Well, Not sure the "big" auction houses are dead. Bohnams last week felt strong, and then I got these facts in an e-mail from Barrett Jackson. Note not a record week, Mecum did that 2 weeks ago, but BJ had ~1500 less cars.
Avg sale of $105k, wow....

• $195.9 million from 1,857 No Reserve collectible vehicle sales, 100% sell-through rate
  • Average vehicle sales price reached unprecedented $105,517
  • Ten non-charity vehicles sell for over $1 million, the most in Barrett-Jackson history
  • Over $8.8 million raised for charity; two charity vehicles surpass million-dollar mark, including world auction record 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 VIN 001 (Lot #3009) that hammered in at $3.6 million
  • More than $7.3 million in automobilia sales — the most successful auction in 21-year history

Reactions: white out

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Not sayin’ the live auction events are roadkill, just that BaT has surpassed them, and taken a chunk of their business. BJ, Mecum, Sotheby’s, et alia, will continue to provide a live show for people who like that experience.

BaT is now the 600-lb gorilla.