Bring a Trailer wallops the big auction houses!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
In 2021, BaT pulls in far more than Mecum, Sotheby’s, B-J, et al. Read it and cheer, or weep, depending on your predilections. I’m firmly in the cheering section.

Reactions: GTinTN, JWZ and KJD

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
”Moving online removes the middle men in an inherently opaque industry cloaked by backdoor deals, insider favors and clubby agreements between power brokers.”

Exactly

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Nice!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Was also recently reported on Hagerty (or hemmings, cant remember), that 1% of BaT users are selling 24% of the volume (dealers). No doubt selling dynamics are changing (again).

Reactions: extrap

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Chatted with David Gooding in a bar at last year’s Amelia Island event. He is steadily moving towards the on-line auction model, easier, more profit. I tried to use BAT twice, once for my McLaren and once for the new GT. Both times they were easy to deal with but so incredibly slow that I sold the cars privately long before the auctions went live

Reactions: Stef

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Gooding is living up to that, as their Scottsdale presence is a preview, but the auction is on line. Noticed when in Scottsdale for the rally that their traditional site (next to the mall) had signs that the site was under development. No clue if that was also factor. Too bad, Gooding has always been my favorite to attend. Kettlecorn......

Reactions: GKW05GT
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
In 2021, BaT pulls in far more than Mecum, Sotheby’s, B-J, et al. Read it and cheer, or weep, depending on your predilections. I’m firmly in the cheering section.

Yeah, but at Barrett Jackson you can get 8 free drinks a day and see sights like this. It's worth the price of admission just for the entertainment value and the rows upon rows of amazing cars.

QSS

Barrett Jackson #2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomcat

GT Owner
I tried to use BAT twice, once for my McLaren and once for the new GT. Both times they were easy to deal with but so incredibly slow that I sold the cars privately long before the auctions went live
I have not used them but a few of my Friends are "regulars". They say that BaT staggers/times listings to not saturate the market with certain brands/styles/models.

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Whatever they are doing seems to be working. Curious about the comment from Texas Mongrel, what kind of wait time did you experience and how would that compare to an in-person auction? Thanks!

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Curious about the comment from Texas Mongrel, what kind of wait time did you experience and how would that compare to an in-person auction? Thanks!
I too was wondering what the wait times are?

QSS

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im sure it depends on WHO you are, one of their KEY dealers? Or joe schmo (like me). Last I heard, its around 3 months. And don't forget, what they post is curated, so your vehicle may not even be accepted.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Go here https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/ and sort "Bid: High to Low" and 2019, 2006 and 2005 GTs make up 3 of the top 7 cars currently on BaT.

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I've sold two vehicles with BAT (CJ-5 and Shelby Mustang) and bought one. It's time consuming getting your car's auction up and live and until you've sold a car or two with them they will vet you as well as your car. But it's super easy and fee cheap for buyers to use and their reach is incredible. Sellers tend to use them over and over. Cheers.

Chip

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I too was wondering what the wait times are?

QSS
4-6 weeks right now

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I've used them only once, but it was a great experience. About a 6 week process between descriptions and photo submissions, and waiting before going live. I'm confident it was the best result possible for my situation (C2 corvette restomod). And a $99 fee compared to BJ auction would have been $17,000 plus!
Having said that, I truly enjoy the experience of attending Gooding, RM, BJ and others, and would be sad to see them fade away. Kind of like my wife with retail shopping therapy vs Amazon!

Reactions: GKW05GT

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Whatever they are doing seems to be working. Curious about the comment from Texas Mongrel, what kind of wait time did you experience and how would that compare to an in-person auction? Thanks!
In both cases it was months

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yeah, but at Barrett Jackson you can get 8 free drinks a day and see sights like this. <snip>

QSS

View attachment 65297
. 🤮

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
The cars........I was talking about the cars..........cmon ;).

QSS

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
Aside from the sidebar comments how is bat different then eBay? Any estimates on eBay annual sales numbers?