Brake Rotor Rust?

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
I have an 06 model and recently I noticed that the brake rotors develop a rust like look on the surface of all 4 rotors even though the car is kept in a climate controlled building. If I take the car out and apply the brakes at speed, maybe 70 or 80 the surface becomes shiny clean. Let the car sit for about 10 days and the rust like look comes back. Anyone notice this? Anything we can do about it other than driving the car more often? Thanks!

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
What's the humidity level where you live this time of year?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Normal, driving fixes the problem. :cheers

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Bare steel and realtive humidity - can't be helped.
solution - move to a drier climate :biggrin

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Bare steel and relative humidity - can't be helped.
solution - move to a drier climate :biggrin

Or a higher altitude with much lower oxygen level....

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Even in the summer during washings, the drops of water on the rotors turn to rust in about 45 seconds. Even a light braking returns the shine.
Not to worry.
AJB

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
Even in the summer during washings, the drops of water on the rotors turn to rust in about 45 seconds. Even a light braking returns the shine.
Not to worry.
AJB

Thanks for the comments. As I said the car is kept in an Air Conditioned building where the humidty is controlled. This has not happend to the other 3 cars that are in there with the GT. I wonder what it is about the Rotors on the GT that make them do this? Its good to know that other owners are seeing this also. thanks again.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you're washing the car, take it for a quick drive afterwards, and don't set the parking brake.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
If you're washing the car, take it for a quick drive afterwards, and don't set the parking brake.

Thanks, I will try that.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I've always had rust on mine (and on all cars) - the bare steel is a welcome home to it.

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
I keep the humidity in my garage at around 20%. In Iowa the car goes months at a time without being driven. :frown But my rotors stay shiny. Before I controlled the humidy my 07 GT 500 developed a lot of surface rust on the underside as well as the rotors. You might want to check other areas of your car to make sure it is just the rotors...

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
This has not happend to the other 3 cars that are in there with the GT.

I'll bet she's in good company, how about a picture of the other cars :biggrin

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I have 10 GTs in my shop now and no rust. Only way they ever rust is if they get wet and stay that way for 10 minutes or so. There is either alot of salt in the air where you are, or your humidity is not being controlled as good as you think....

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
It appears to happen after I wash the car and pull it right in the hanger. Once I drive and the rotors are "cleaned" it does not happen again until I wash the car againl Next time I will take the car around the corner after washing and dry off those rotors. Thanks for the responses.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Move to the dessert. No O2 and dry air and a mile hi!

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas

Amen....

mardyn

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
After washing the GT just spray the rotors with WD-40. Just kidding! :rofl:rofl:rofl