Borla Exhaust Problem

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I had the Borla Exhaust installed a few months back, sounds great.
Recently, there seems to be a nasally sound at around 2K RPM, like a second note. Sounds like my GT has a cold. :ack Comes from the right side mostly.

Wondering if anyone else had a similar issue and what everyone thinks it could be. I was thinking at first it might be a blown seal, but I'd expect to see evidence of that (black soot or something). I am now kinda thinking it may be a loose baffle inside the muffler.

I don't expect to get it looked at prior to the rally, so I guess it will still be sick. Don't worry, I don't think it's contagious :wink

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I had a similar experience with mine right after I installed it. I had driven it on a test run of about 30 miles and when I stopped to open the garage door it was making a peculiar knocking sound at idle that immediately went away with an increase in RPM. I had also heard a peculiar fluttering sound the first time I really got on it and ran it up to redline. I shut it down and let it cool off overnight and visually checked everything out the next morning - even "knocking around" the Borla to see if I could make it rattle. I then went on a longer drive of about 80 miles and ran it pretty hard. The noise disappeared and so far has not come back. It was as if something was loose inside and then got "puked" out the tail pipes. It's still a mystery to me. :eek

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Have you boys got just the can or also the headers?? The headers can make that knocking sound if its leaking from just one of the pipes...

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
My noise started after 1,000 miles were put on it. There is no knocking noise at all, just a stuffy noise noise.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Brian-

I've got about 500 miles on my Borla and do not have any noises or issues. Do you think one of the bolts that hold the muffler to the cat pipes might have come loose?

-Chris

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I don't know. I checked what I could see without a screwdriver and it all seems fine. Really sounds to me like a baffle came loose, performance does not seem to be affected.

dbtgt

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
SuperB said:
I don't know. I checked what I could see without a screwdriver and it all seems fine. Really sounds to me like a baffle came loose, performance does not seem to be affected.
Have you tried a stethoscope? I used one to listen to various parts of the exhaust system when I was trying to diagnose the noise. You can get them at any auto parts store for less than $10.00.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I'll let the dealer play doctor when I get back, I don't have the proper white coat or busty nurse to assist me. :biggrin

dbtgt

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Maybe Bony would let Bouncy assist :eek

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You guys can't be serious. A stethescope on a high performance muffler? It had better be a very low grade scope, cause otherwise you'll be deafened! Be careful doing this.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I've got 1400 miles on my Borla and no SuperB symptoms such as "stuffy noise noise". I believe you are trailering to Detroit and Borla has signed on as a convention sponsor. They certainly will have some tech people in attendance. You could have them give a listen and possibly diagnose..
I am very pleased with my Ford Motor Racing/Borla muffler addition.

dbtgt

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
fjpikul said:
You guys can't be serious. A stethescope on a high performance muffler? It had better be a very low grade scope, cause otherwise you'll be deafened! Be careful doing this.
I was referring to an "automotive" stethescope with a metal rod at the listening end. I use it on the "box" part of the muffler to hear what is going on - not the exhaust pipe end! :eek It comes in very handy for diagnosing bearing noises, pump noises, etc.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Boy, you guys just don't get pathological humor. Hey, bring it with you. Maybe we can fool Piccola and play doctor!

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I am pleased with the Borla as well, just started acting up, may not be the muffler at all, I just don't know.

Would be cool if the borla guys at the rally can take a look/listen.

:wink I did put there name on the banners I am printing :wink

dbtgt

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
fjpikul said:
Boy, you guys just don't get pathological humor. Hey, bring it with you. Maybe we can fool Piccola and play doctor!
What do you expect from "gearheads", But I love to play Doctor! :banana