Bond's Original Golfinger Aston Martin up for auction..............

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Bond's Original Goldfinger Aston Martin up for auction..............

..............here is the link. http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/looking-car-try-007s-aston-martin-ap

Probably end up as a museum piece in someone's collection but what an absolutely cool car. :thumbsup:thumbsup

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i always thought that car was cool....

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i hear it sold for $4.4 million....

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'm told the auction was a disaster, they didn't know where to start it so asked the audience for suggestions some bloke says 10 million, auctioneer asks 'are you serious' and guy says no then another chap says 2.5mil - it looked like it was either said as a joke, or he was a plant, and it was taken as the opening bid......Silence in the room. Finally someone puts in 2.6m, they were desperate for more bids, there were none. For such an overly-hyped auction, one would have thought it might have been better conducted.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
A collector here in Cincinnati bought it for $4.6 million.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101028/CARNEWS/310289999

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
4.6 million??? :eek That is a cool car, but I am not sure it is that cool. :lol

Imagine walking onto the set at the end of filming of Goldfinger and offering them $50K (adjusted for inflation $340K in today's dollars) for that car. Retail in '64 was $12,775 brand new (adjusted for inflation $87K). How fast do you think they would have sold you that car?? :lol Nice return on investment......well, besides the 46 year wait. :biggrin :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Wasn't this car on display in a glass 'display box' at a business in West Vancouver, Canada, several decades ago??? Red Rocket? Superfly? 'Wunna you maple leaf guys know?

I seem to recall someone up there owned it (or it was LOANED to someone) for a while...

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Wasn't this car on display in a glass 'display box' at a business in West Vancouver, Canada, several decades ago??? Red Rocket? Superfly? 'Wunna you maple leaf guys know?

I seem to recall someone up there owned it (or it was LOANED to someone) for a while...

What your memory isn't working right?

Seems to me it "may" have been for the Expo '86.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What your memory isn't working right?

Seems to me it "may" have been for the Expo '86.

No, it was there before that, Jeff. I seem to remember some restaurant owner(?) bought it in about 1970(?) or so...put on display at his restaurant...'owned it for about 10-12 years(?)...'got into a bit of financial trouble and sold it in about '82 or there abouts.

I'm SURE I saw it up there. It was DEFINITELY sitting in a glass display case somewhere...but, 'cannot remember the particulars.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I was talking about classic car values the other day with Bill Kemper, a nationally respected Cobra restorer. The fact that the GT40 that Chip discussed on a different link is being sold for $6 mil with mucho racing provenance, and this car is $4 mil plus, then either the GT40s are on the cheap, or this buyer REALLY likes James Bond.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
No, it was there before that, Jeff. I seem to remember some restaurant owner(?) bought it in about 1970(?) or so...put on display at his restaurant...'owned it for about 10-12 years(?)...'got into a bit of financial trouble and sold it in about '82 or there abouts.

I'm SURE I saw it up there. It was DEFINITELY sitting in a glass display case somewhere...but, 'cannot remember the particulars.

Text from the Autoweek link;

This is the first time this piece of silver-screen history has been available for public sale. The Aston was being sold by Philadelphia broadcaster Jerry Lee, who has owned it since 1969. He bought it for $12,000 after persuading Aston Martin to sell it.

Maybe the the one you saw was the other Movie car that was stolen in 1997;

This car is one of just two DB5s used in the iconic 1960s Bond films Goldfinger and Thunderball, with Sean Connery driving. The car is wearing its original British registration number to reinforce authenticity and is the only survivor of the cinematic pair. The other one was reported stolen in 1997 and is believed to have been destroyed.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Maybe the the one you saw was the other Movie car that was stolen in 1997;

Ya, that's what I'm thinking, too, '12. That MUST BE the case because, if the above article is gospel, there's no way it could be the same car according to the dates. But, I DO KNOW 40 yrs ago there was a 'gennie' J.B. DB5 sitting in that glass case. Honest 'injun'. :biggrin

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
in about 1970(?)

late 60's or early 70's ....................seems to be a blur

Great times .....just don't remember most of it!

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
EP.......sitting? glass case? not driven? sounds familiar

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

+1,000

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

May the sewers from the nearest leper colony back up into your breakfasts...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

I knew I wasn't delusional...this time:

"After four months of having fun with it, Luscombe-Whyte advertised the car in the Times newspaper in London. Frank Baker of Vancouver made him an offer he could not refuse: $21,600 and an all-expenses-paid trip on the QE2 to New York.

Luscombe-Whyte would deliver the car from Montreal, driving it across Canada to Vancouver.

Baker offered an additional two weeks' holiday on the West Coast.

The car spent the next 13 years on display outside Baker's Attic restaurant in West Vancouver. Baker fell upon hard times in the early '80s and sold the car to Alf Spence."

(Edit: But as 2112 suggested, this car must be the "missing" one.)

Last edited: