Blue Tiger - motion driving simulator

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Yesterday a few of us in the Phoenix area were treated to a test drive in a pre-production example of Bob Childress' Blue Tiger motion simulator. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

http://www.bluetiger.com/index.html

Bob is a car guy (he owns a CAV GT40) and the Blue Tiger is a result of his passion. We liked it so much that we tried to figure out how to carry it out the back door when Bob wasn't looking. Production is going to begin soon, and a new web site is due in a week or so with more info. Bob will be showing the Blue Tiger at trade shows - I asked him about BJ Scottsdale, and he's going to be there. I suspect the line will be VERY long to drive it!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Is this a race car stimulator or a flight stimulator?? I am very interested to learn more.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
if that is PC based, tag this up with www.iracing.com and you will be in for one hell of a ride......

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Is this a race car stimulator or a flight stimulator?? I am very interested to learn more.

Blue Tiger is a motion base that can be configured as a car, aircraft, boat, etc, depending on what the user wants. You provide (or they will sell you) the particular controls for the type vehicle you want to simulate. The great thing about this is the open architecture concept that enables the user to customize the motion base and not rely exclusively on whatever accessory hardware Blue Tiger supplies.

Software is one key to their future success, of course. Some of the racing games don't yet output the data required to drive the motion base, but some do. Bob is making the protocols available to software developers and I believe that soon this data output will be part of every game sold. We drove the Blue Tiger with several different PC based games, and were very impressed - especially with one particular rally game. I hesitate to refer to them as games, because when you add motion it starts to get very real.

The basic premise of a motion simulator is to add sensory inputs beyond sight and sound to more accurately represent reality. There are lots of clever ways to fool our senses and that's what Blue Tiger does. When you hit the gas pedal, Blue Tiger tilts back and a small amount of weight is transferred from your butt to your back - and it feels like acceleration G's. When you hit the brake, Bue Tiger tilts forward and your body is fooled into feeling like you are decelerating. In a left turn, for example, Blue Tiger doesn't lean left, but leans RIGHT. This gives you the proper sensation of lateral G's throwing you to the right in the turn. Because the whole rig is moving (including the display screen), you are quickly drawn into the desired sensations. Anyone who's done spatial disorientation maneuvers in an airplane knows exactly how this works. The final result is that the game is transformed into an experience.

Two (or more?) Blue Tigers can be linked and you can go racing against your buddy. After you've driven a couple of sessions, your mind starts to go wild with possibilities. For instance, it would have been great to have one or more of these at LVMS for Rally III, set up to simulate the track we were driving. Maybe for Rally IV?

If you want to drive Blue Tiger, I'm sure we can set up another session - and give us an excuse to go back! :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yes, I am very interested. Would the software that Specracer linked work on this as system as well?

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Software?

Yes, I am very interested. Would the software that Specracer linked work on this as system as well?

I am checking on the iRacing question. The software we used on our demo drive yesterday was rFactor.

Let me know when you want to drive this, and we'll set it up!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Next trip to your area will be Barrett Jackson weekend, or if he will have a display at B-J vegas or Sema I am ready.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
iRacing software

if that is PC based, tag this up with www.iracing.com and you will be in for one hell of a ride......

Answer: iRacing should be Blue Tiger enabled in the very near future!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Wonder what the interest level would be for a group buy, then become connected via the forum and have Ford GT races,.. I could see perhaps racing against other forums such as the GT40 Forum... any thoughts???

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Wonder what the interest level would be for a group buy, then become connected via the forum and have Ford GT races,.. I could see perhaps racing against other forums such as the GT40 Forum... any thoughts???

Excellent idea! Lots of details to sort out to make this happen, but Team Jeff and I will pursue this. Bob is active on the GT40 Forum, so that would be the logical first cross-forum scenario.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
There has been some exchange already with members discussing driving-racing simulators. There are several products out there. I wonder how this product stacks up?

H

HHGT

In the mid 90's I used to work for a company that built Motion Based Simulators - both 3 & 6 D.O.F. (Degrees of Freedom) for F15, F18s and Location Based Entertainment. The system described here in this thread sounds like a 3 DOF.

To make any of these systems realistic, many things have to come together. Math/Physics models, Visual Scenes, GUI (Graphical user Interface) which comprises all guages and graphical feedbacks including scene overlays and the hardware devices which can include steering, pedals, sticks etc. Ultimately all these have to come together seamlessly with minimal latencies, or you will get motion sickness.

When you play any of these simulators, the thing that is always compromised is the fidelity of the Math & Physics. An example of this is how loose the back end of a car feels, behavior of braking and accelerating, C.G. changes through apexes - drifting etc. Players can adjust when they race over time because the mind and dexterity control is trainable. I would be interested in how real the vehicle dynamics feel when compared to our real cars. I will wager that Ford, may have had the vehicle dynamics modeled during our cars development and these Math & Physics models are as near-accurate as our cars are. To ask Ford to release them is one challenge, to integrate them into a low cost simulator is another issue altogether.

In any event, I would be interested in trying out the system as well.

Last edited:

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
There has been some exchange already with members discussing driving-racing simulators. There are several products out there. I wonder how this product stacks up?

As far as motion simulators go, Blue Tiger looks to be the lowest cost product at about 1/4 the cost of Motion Pro II (which is $25K-$45K). Although I have lots of airplane & helicopter motion simulator experience (as a user, not as a developer or programmer), Blue Tiger is the only motion driving simulator I've tried so far.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
In the mid 90's I use to work for a company that built Motion Based Simulators - both 3 & 6 D.O.F. (Degrees of Freedom) for F15, F18s and Location Based Entertainment. The system described here in this thread sounds like a 3 DOF.

To make any of these systems realistic, many things have to come together. Math/Physics models, Visual Scenes, GUI (Graphical user Interface) which comprises all guages and graphical feedbacks including scene overlays and the hardware devices which can include steering, pedals, sticks etc. Ultimately all these have to come together seamlessly with minimal latencies, or you will get motion sickness.

When you play any of these simulators, the thing that is always compromised is the fidelity of the Math & Physics. An example of this is how loose the back end of a car feels, behavior of braking and accelerating, C.G. changes through apexes - drifting etc. Players can adjust when they race over time because the mind and dexterity control is trainable. I would be interested in how real the vehicle dynamics feel when compared to our real cars. I will wager that Ford, may have had the vehicle dynamics modeled during our cars development and these Math & Physics models are as near-accurate as our cars are. To ask Ford to release them is one challenge, to integrate them into a low cost simulator is another issue altogether.

In any event, I would be interested in trying out the system as well.

I agree completely. However, I think there's an opportunity here to get the math/physics models as accurate as possible as software is developed, at least with respect to the Ford GT. This is perhaps a more unique situation where the developer of the motion base is a car guy himself, and he welcomes input from other car guys. It would be great if you could drive it too!

H

HHGT

I agree completely. However, I think there's an opportunity here to get the math/physics models as accurate as possible as software is developed, at least with respect to the Ford GT. This is perhaps a more unique situation where the developer of the motion base is a car guy himself, and he welcomes input from other car guys. It would be great if you could drive it too!

Would love to try it out.

I THINK WE NEED TO SEND DBK ON A MISSION TO FIND OUT IF THESE MODELS COULD BE HAD.

H

HHGT

BTW, I am assuming from you handle that you were somehow involved with T38s. Is that a true assumption on my part? If so, very cool.:thumbsup:thumbsup

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
BTW, I am assuming from you handle that you were somehow involved with T38s. Is that a true assumption on my part? If so, very cool.:thumbsup:thumbsup

You assume correctly; once upon a time I was a T-38 instructor pilot, and yes, it is a VERY cool airplane. The first time I drove a Ford GT, I thought it was the automotive equivalent. So, my car had to be white/blue, and had to have the GT38 vanity plate!

Regarding getting data from Ford, it would be in their best interest to have an accurate representation of the car's performance in computer simulations (with legal disclaimers, confidentiality agreements and royalty payments from the software companies as necessary). With accurate car data and track data, a driver could practice on the simulator and reduce the risk of bending sheet metal later in the real world. There's a whole lot of positive things that can come out of simulation, but only if it's done accurately.

H

HHGT

You assume correctly; once upon a time I was a T-38 instructor pilot, and yes, it is a VERY cool airplane. The first time I drove a Ford GT, I thought it was the automotive equivalent. So, my car had to be white/blue, and had to have the GT38 vanity plate!

You wouldn't by any chance know Col Dennis Lester (Mouse) would you?

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
You wouldn't by any chance know Col Dennis Lester (Mouse) would you?

No, I don't.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
New Blue Tiger web site

Blue Tiger has their new web site up, which has lots of information about their motion simulator: www.BlueTiger.com