Billet crank for the GT?

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
We are doing a stroker 6.1L Ford 4V build in a GT500 with Winberg crank. Site is http://www.winbergcrankshafts.com/

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
We are doing a stroker 6.1L Ford 4V build in a GT500 with Winberg crank. Site is http://www.winbergcrankshafts.com/
Be very careful about stroking the motor that much. The GT engines have a rod ratio of 1.6. I don't know what the GT500 engines have, but if you go below that rod ratio, you run the risk of shortened engine life.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Be very careful about stroking the motor that much. The GT engines have a rod ratio of 1.6. I don't know what the GT500 engines have, but if you go below that rod ratio, you run the risk of shortened engine life.

Yes Sir- thanks! Michael Rauscher, owner of L&M Engines, was consulted on this & he is doing this Texas Mile build. It's replacing the 5.8 which he built that's still in the car. Looking for more HP, Tork, MPH! Lol!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
im doing a bryant 4.350 stoke crank in two motors.. they will be fine with a 10'' deck height!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Indy GT- I thought I was the only person who thinks the verbage is very vague on terminology on cranks. you should read threads about cranks on the SVT Cobra forums. I never read so much B.S. in my life and learned not to try and correct anyone because they are all experts from what I can tell. you are so right with the term "billet" . it has taken on a whole now meaning on the internet from it's original intent and description. jmo

from wiki: Billet

Steel billets
For the colloquial use of the term, see Bar stock.
A billet is a length of metal that has a round or square cross-section, with an area less than 36 in2 (230 cm2). Billets are created directly via continuous casting or extrusion or indirectly via hot rolling an ingot or bloom.[1][2][4] Billets are further processed via profile rolling and drawing. Final products include bar stock and wire.[3]

Centrifugal casting is also used to produce short circular tubes as billets, usually to achieve a precise metallurgical structure. They are commonly used as cylinder sleeves where the inner and outer diameters are ground and machined to length. Because their size is not modified significantly, they are not always classified as semi-finished casting products.

In copper production, a billet is a 30' long, about 8" diameter, of pure copper.[5]

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Indy GT- I thought I was the only person who thinks the verbage is very vague on terminology on cranks. you should read threads about cranks on the SVT Cobra forums. I never read so much B.S. in my life and learned not to try and correct anyone because they are all experts from what I can tell. you are so right with the term "billet" . it has taken on a whole now meaning on the internet from it's original intent and description. jmo

Thanks Scott for the above. I too agree, it is not worth trying to explain the engineering differences to people who have already formed their opinions from internet chatter. Everyone is an expert. Jeff thanks also for the definitions.

Let’s see, using the above dimensional billet definitions (36 in2) for a square billet, you would have a 6”x6” bar of material. I do not know the final counterweight diameters on our FGT crank but just eyeballing a 6x6 box it might be tough to hog out a crank. Maybe you can, but certainly not a given. With a round billet configuration you would be limited to a maximum diameter of 6.8”. Again maybe you can machine out a crank from that diameter size, maybe you can’t.

You do not want to start with a material blank (billet) which has been “continuously cast” or “centrifugally cast” (IMO) for a crankshaft application. Forging metallurgy is much, much better than these casting techniques. Extrusion or hot rolling is better but if you are mechanically working a large 6x6 cross section block, it is unlikely the material working these processes impose on the material will uniformly extend throughout the full billet area and more importantly toward the billet area center where the material for the main journals will be after machining.

For a crankshaft application, I would only want a forging produced blank from which to start the machining process.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Good morning Bill!

What is this term "hog out"?? Is this a some new exotic manufacturing process? :wink

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Good morning Bill!

What is this term "hog out"?? Is this a some new exotic manufacturing process? :wink

It's what is done at lunch break

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In copper production, a billet is a 30' long, about 8" diameter, of pure copper.[5]

Hmm, What gauge wire would that be?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks Scott for the above. I too agree, it is not worth trying to explain the engineering differences to people who have already formed their opinions from internet chatter. Everyone is an expert. Jeff thanks also for the definitions.

Let’s see, using the above dimensional billet definitions (36 in2) for a square billet, you would have a 6”x6” bar of material. I do not know the final counterweight diameters on our FGT crank but just eyeballing a 6x6 box it might be tough to hog out a crank. Maybe you can, but certainly not a given. With a round billet configuration you would be limited to a maximum diameter of 6.8”. Again maybe you can machine out a crank from that diameter size, maybe you can’t.

You do not want to start with a material blank (billet) which has been “continuously cast” or “centrifugally cast” (IMO) for a crankshaft application. Forging metallurgy is much, much better than these casting techniques. Extrusion or hot rolling is better but if you are mechanically working a large 6x6 cross section block, it is unlikely the material working these processes impose on the material will uniformly extend throughout the full billet area and more importantly toward the billet area center where the material for the main journals will be after machining.

For a crankshaft application, I would only want a forging produced blank from which to start the machining process.

Bryant Racing cranks are made from a round raw forging. They are brought via train from Pa to Cali. They are then Cnc cut (ie reason people use the term BILLET).. They are one of the TOP manufactures of racing crankshafts in the U.S and used by every single motorsports that requires a crank shaft. As we all know Oe stuff is great and has been proven to also support 1500-2000 HP.. But there are significant gains and this you can do when you make your own crank shaft to your specs.. I designed the First billet Crank for the 5.4 Ford GT motor in 2009 with some insight from John Mihovetz aswell. There are some key things that need improvement over an OE crank for extreme applications in the Ford GT motor....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
How is the flat plane crank in the new GT350 made? Being a 180* design I would expect the dimensions to be a little wider.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Good morning Bill!

It's just a technical term. :wink

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Ahhh Pete, Rex is just pulling my leg....:biggrin
He understands the technical jargon!

BMF,

I totally understand. And it is quite amazing that our OE 5.4 crankshaft can support owners who have elected to increase their engine power by roughly 360%! The designers gave us a VERY robust OE engine design. But that is not always the case and certainly over-designing a component relative to its intended duty cycle costs money and typically weight. The bean counters like to maximize Return On Investment (ROI) so over-designing (at least to the level we have seen demonstrated with our engine) is not generally done.

Now if you change the design requirements of the crankshaft by upping the intended horsepower for "extreme applications in the Ford GT motor" then I would fully expect that "some key things" with the crankshaft design certainly would need "improvement" (or in reality redesigned due to a new expected requirement). But that is no reflection on the OE design as it's geometry was not created for these extreme applications.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
sigh

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Good morning Bill!

Yeah, "hog out" or "hogging out" is a machinist term when large amounts of material must be removed from the original piece. My friend recently took a 400 pound chunk of aluminum and after a week of machining reduced it down a to part that weighed about 20 pounds. That's hogging something out!

The term "billet" is badly abused in the consumer automotive industry. At least 95% of aftermarket "billet" parts do not come from a billet.

Jay