Oct 24, 2005
Best Speed So Far 128mph On Local Parkway

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I knew this would come up eventually. This type of stuff can't be posted on here because of legal ramifications...oh wait, who the hell am I kidding? Post the high speed antics away (just don't blame the site if you get caught) :biggrin

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
I hit some where in the area of 45mph going around a big sweeping turn on the PW Parkway Last Sat.

Last edited:

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
155 mph on the 81 / 581 bypass. Easily obtained. Great fun. Big smile on my face. What was incredible about this is i have never gone over 120 in my Viper.

kdmfnrk

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2005
Running Man Is That Princewilliam Pkwy Im In Lakeridge Also River Falls You Dont Have To Answer That Question If You Dont Want Too

kdmfnrk

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2005
155 Sweet.... Im Looking For 150 Still. Crazy Fast It Will Leave You With A Smile On Your Face

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
It doesn't take much space to double the speed limit. It also doesn't take much more space to almost go triple the speed limit.

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
i only heard this though a 2'nd and a 3rd party to the party next to the last, but !!!!!
a certain red 05 went up to 175, the first night of new ownership

wink/wink

sam
#1451 red/white

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Interesting, I know of "another" GT that's seen just over 170. Apparently it was already doing 80 mph in sixth when the driver downshifted to third, redlined it in third and fourth and was just shifting into fifth as he got to 170 mph. Reports also indicate the entire trip, from 80 to 170 and back to 80 only took about 8 or 9 seconds. Further reports indicate the car's shape and underside air extractors really work, as the car was noticeably hunkered down and there was a low-frequency "thrum" coming over the windshield, likely from the air coming off the front extractors in the hood. And overall the car was amazingly stable and relaxed at that speed.

At least, that's what I heard... :biggrin

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
enzo
i "hear" thats there is alot of that stuff going on lol

sam #1451 red/white

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
GT 145 locally. '06 Viper FE Coupe 180 on I-80 in western South Dakota.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
ENZO BTR said:
Interesting, I know of "another" GT that's seen just over 170. Apparently it was already doing 80 mph in sixth when the driver downshifted to third, redlined it in third and fourth and was just shifting into fifth as he got to 170 mph. Reports also indicate the entire trip, from 80 to 170 and back to 80 only took about 8 or 9 seconds. Further reports indicate the car's shape and underside air extractors really work, as the car was noticeably hunkered down and there was a low-frequency "thrum" coming over the windshield, likely from the air coming off the front extractors in the hood. And overall the car was amazingly stable and relaxed at that speed.

At least, that's what I heard... :biggrin

Interesting but I never had any of that occur at those speeds. The car just goes and it takes longer than 8-9 seconds to reach those speeds. I am not disputing that the aero devices work, but you always here wind at very high speeds. It takes 8 seconds to get from 50 mph to 130 mph on a dyno (no wind resistance) thus in the real world much longer.

BTW most of my high speeds are legal, done on a race track. The car feels fine at any speed I have had it up to.

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Hey EnzoBtr, thats some amazing detail you have from some "other" GT

VIN1591

GT Owner
Oct 27, 2005
Easton, MA
170 with a witness :thumbsup

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Running Man said:
Hey EnzoBtr, thats some amazing detail you have from some "other" GT

What can I say, the "guy" really kept good mental notes, and was able to relay them to me with amazing detail. :lol

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Anybody think about taking a picture of their speedo at these speeds to verify their claims? I "heard" of a guy who plans to take a friend along to take the pictures when he does his first serious high speed run.

My top so far on an impromptu punch was 138. The guy with the cameraman plans on doing 180 for the picture. Wish m..."him" luck.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'm still treating mine with kid gloves at it currently has only 249 miles on the clock (which is a crime, but it's winter here, so cut me some slack!). However, have done 145 briefly and it felt very good with acres of room for more....

I will want to try a maximum speed run in it at some stage - perhaps in France next year - have done this in the Murcielago (204 registered on the dial) and Vanquish (196 on the dial).

Probably best not to use the term 'mph' in these descriptions!!

Any photos would of course be "a friends GT in Germany taken on the Autobahn"...! Otherwise they could be used in evidence. Just a thought. N

Edit: Do drive carefully too! I recall those horrid pictures!

Last edited:

phoenix

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2005
Cartersville, Georgia
ran mine up to 175 on an airport runway - no problem- she wasn't even breathing hard, and only needed light brakes to slow her down - runway was about 6000 feet long ( and closed at the time ) If anyone wanted to see what the top end speed for these cars are - someone could always rent Talladega. It should not be a problem to run around there at 200 + and find the top end speed. I would guess the top end speed would be around 220. Talladega rents for around 2500 a day - not sure these tires are rated for speeds that high.....I used to test Cup cars over there - easy track, soft banks.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
OK guys, I'll only post this anti-macho thought once. Call me a wuss, no problem.

There was a young writer at Car and Driver magazine I met with several times. Don Schroeder, great guy, 35 years old.

While testing a car for top speed on a track, the car crashed, rolled, and stopped, back on its wheels. It caught on fire.

His friends got to the wreck, tried to cool the flames with fire extinguishers, but ultimately watched as Don was cremated in the car.

The Indyweek article linked below concludes "He did not die needlessly." But that's wrong. Who cares if that car would go 190 or 195 or 200? What difference does it make?

OK, you guys all have big balls, I'm impressed.

I don't know what's dumber, driving at 150 or more on the street, or posting about it on the internet. You're going 220 feet per second, with no helmet, no roll cage, no hans device, no tire pressure warning system, no fire system. One little glitch, and you're dead.

I think that's really dumb.

http://indyweek.com/durham/2000-03-01/rumble.html

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Driving_Forces/The_Cult_of_Speed.S192.A2196.html

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
I think a certain White/Blue GT saw 150+ in short sprint to issue a much needed spanking to an '04 Z06.
The accelleration from 70 up is sweet. And the GT is a world away from my past Vipers.