Best Roadster?

lumber

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 30, 2011
Im looking for the best roadster out there, 100k range. Im thinking it is the z8, as a close friend just bought one and Im very impressed. He also has a fgt.

What are some opinions, as Ive gone through some decent cars in my search, but they didnt stick...I had a superformance cobra for 2 years, so Ive done that,
had a boxster spyder for a short while, and a 12 gt500 convt. that lasted 500 miles.

Is there something Im not thinking of? And for those with z8 experience, are they that good?

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
911 turbo probably 2009-2010 low milage. Great cars and have a mini back seat if that suits you. Also AM vantage convert or Jag XKS convertible.

Need to define if you want a true sports car, a GT car or more touring car. Are you ok with used as I would assume so looking at the Z8. The MB 55SL or 65SL roadsters are nice if you want a touring car. Heck for a bit more money a 2007-8 Lambo Gallardo open top is accessible.

Rob

Otis

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
A used Porsche will hold its value much better than a used Mercedes. Astons are nice, but finicky. Jaguars are good cars, but don't seem to commendere the esteem that they used to. A used Maserati, like the Aston, is very symbollic, but tough on upkeep. Just MHO.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have owned a Z8 for little over 11 years.

Fantastic car. Well made, fast, comfortable and spectacularly beautiful.

Holding it's value very well thank you very much.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Used Viper roadster?

2013 427 'Vette convert Collector Edition?

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I have a good friend with over 30,000 miles on his Z8, he loves it, great car, and like the GT, holding it's value (actually going up a bit lately) quite well. A good low mile example will pull more than 100m, more likely closer to the 120+ number.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
If you want "the best" roadster, I'd say Mercedes SL - black series, but that is going to be $200,000 ish. For something in the 100 range, I'd probabley wait for the new viper convertible but that may be a year out or more.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Black Series SL's are coupes. But I'd agree with any of the other AMG SL's. Great cars. In fact, though he loves it, Skyrex has one he's considering selling.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
My bad, I just assumed the SL would be a convert. I prefer a coupe anyway, so now it is slightly more awesome than it was before. :) It should come with a bat-suit.

lumber

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 30, 2011
Thanks for the replies...Im looking for something that has soul, looks and performance. Fit and finish also has to be there. The cobra was the closest thing so far,
just not practical for a number of reasons. And I tried hard to make it work.
I dont need a back seat, and would prefer without.

I think the z8 is a refined version of the cobra, which maybe is why im leaning towards it. Seems a handful of gt owners have z8 as well...

Im going to drive whatever I get, so Im looking for something that I can put miles on without issues.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'll second the Z8 vote. I bought mine new in 2001. It is still worth what I paid for it. Wonderful car with soul. Like GT owners, there are a number of Z8 owners that own multiple cars.

Attachments

• ChrisCar5-2001.jpg
    ChrisCar5-2001.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 213

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
OK, If we are posting pics, I am in too! :biggrin

.Copyofalki2.jpg

Brembo Prototyped their Big Brake system on my car (cause I was the first to ask) back in 01'/02'. I did all the Dinan S2 mods, CDV delete and Quaiffe Limited slip differential.

Still plan to drop in KW coilovers and a UCC short throw shifter.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
The Z8's are fantastic, but I'm a Porsche fanboy. Have tested many of them and still like the one I have - a 997 S Cab. But I have an older 997.1. Get one from the final year, a 997.2 before they introduced the new one (forgot the 9** code). The last of the 997's have the same direct injected engine as the new one. You have a choice of PDK or 6-speed. Unlike the turbo of the same vintage, the 'S' has rear wheel drive versus AWD for the turbo (which is why I went with the 'S'). The new ones are nice, but the interior is from the Panamera, and the electric steering (steering feel is THE reason to own a Porsche) is getting panned as being rather disconnected. I'm sure they'll fix it in the next year or two but until then, the 997's are the best of the lot.
I'm sure there are still a few new ones on the lots with great discounts.
Still the Z8 is fantastic. But they are getting so rare and valuable, I'd end up treating it like my FGT instead of a daily driver like my 997.
Rich

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I especially like the boat tail rear of those Z8's but bought the sls amg roadster instead. A similar rear and a great car to drive. A car that one can use as a daily driver and with the top off the sound of the V8 is amazing. Unfortuntely 100k will not do the job but it's worth the extra

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
I like the used sl65's. Twin turbo 6.0 v12 from the factory...whats not to like?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I like the used sl65's. Twin turbo 6.0 v12 from the factory...whats not to like?

I had one of those for several years. Yes, it was fast, but it was also heavy. It was a great highway cruiser but just didn't offer the same driving experience as my Z8. As a driver I felt somewhat detached form the car. And, as you know the MB is only offered with an automatic.

The lighter and more responsive manual shifting Z8 is more of a "roadster" in the classic sense. It is a much more rewarding and "involved" driving experience. Sure the SL65 could smoke it, but if that was what I was after I would have driven my GT!

My two cents FWIW...

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I'd vote for a Spyker, if not a DD. unique looks, rare, and German mechanical. A Z8 would be my second choice.

GTED

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I have owned a Z8 for little over 11 years.

Fantastic car. Well made, fast, comfortable and spectacularly beautiful.

Holding it's value very well thank you very much.

I would like to have one of those someday! classic lines and form. beautiful car.

lumber

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 30, 2011
Clean dd z8 is a tough car to find right now. Plenty of 135k garage queens, but I want something to drive.

Im thinking of a turbo cab...