Belly Pan Torx bolt female end stripped. What to do?

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Thank you in advance.
I am taking a deep breath.
On rear SHIELD.
Front 3, dead center in location. Torx bolts are gone and I can stick one in and out freely with no resistance from the threads on female end which is stripped.

A. Where do I go from here?
B. If I drive conservatively ( under 100mph) for now with those front three not bolted in am I going to have a problem?

Much appreciated

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I think the 3 screwed up recepticle/rivnuts are on the mid belly pan. Where they meet and overlap.
Regardless of location tho.

So how do I get out broken widget and install new widget?

BTW
I am literally getting my skinny a$$ under the GT doing this diagnosis without any lift.
So excuse my questions if they seem somewhat ignorant as I don't have the benefit of the lift today so I can't see everything.
Biggie

PS- I will have lift when I do "the fix"

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You have to carefully drill out the old one and use a rivnut installation tool to install the new one. As for the insert there are few kinds in different lengths and materials even in the M6x1 size. I also would like to know what type Ford used.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
Yes.
I would think so.
Meantime..........

I am fiddling around with a 7mm (original Torx Bolt is 6mm) and a 1/4 inch bolt (which is ever so slightly bigger than a 6mm) and I think I might just force in one or the other as a temp fix. Looks like the 1/4 will work out of the two. That or neither.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I've used those on a bumper delete kit, not underneath. They are very similar to stock (zinc plated steel) in appearance, but may be a bit shorter.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Sounds like you need to get under there and take the pan off. Once the pan is off the solution will probably become clear. I think getting the pans off is actually easier on the ground using a jack and jack stands, using a 4 post lift didn't help that much.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Thank You.
Who has used these?

I love Rivnuts. I used them to affix the hood scoop on my Shelby GT Mustang among other things. They work great.

Chip

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Ok
So I got the GT up on a storage lift.
Pan went on in very quickly.
For the front three I cranked in 6.4mm shorty bolts.
Looks like it will hold
When appropriate ill replace those three females with rivnuts or equivalent.

I'll go for a drive tomorrow and check in.