Battery Woes...

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
BigsGt what year is your car and what is your build date. There is a problem with early built cars where the climate control module will not go to sleep and will cause a good sized batt drain. There is an updated module for it. Also depending on your cars year there is an updated power supply for the mac systems for some power draw problems. Just tying to throw some ideas out.

Looks to be a tungsten, which would be a 2006.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
i didn't know for sure if his avatar his his car. Just checking.

M

Mark O

Looks to be a tungsten, which would be a 2006.

Actually, it's white, but there's so much dust on it from sitting, it looks gray. :lol

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
I was actually going by his screenname and info below it.:thumbsup

BigsGT
Tungsten GT Owner

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Thanks for the input, it's an '06 Tungsten with a Nov '05 build date (car's not here to confirm).

They are pretty sure there is an issue with the voltage regulator and/or the alternator, since they are attached. Waiting on parts.

I'll mention the Mac power supply issue as well as climate control module. Thanks!

And pay no attention to Mark; he's just being an a**.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Bigs - don't lock your doors if the battery keeps dying... You'll have to really "reef" on the key to get them to open manually:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Bigs - don't lock your doors if the battery keeps dying... You'll have to really "reef" on the key to get them to open manually:thumbsup

'Not trying to be contrary here, but, I opened mine with the key a couple times about a year ago (on a whim) just to make sure the key/latch mechanism actually worked. 'Didn't have to use any force at all. :shrug

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Glad it's getting worked out Bigs. The climate control module and power supply problems we're for '05 cars so sounds like you have a different problem. Good luck. Very interested in what it ends up being the cause.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Final installment, unless someone else keeps bumping it. Mainly writing updates and follow up in case someone else has the same or similar issues.

The Alternator/Voltage Regulator combo was replaced, and everything is running fine. Although the 3rd battery was drawn down completely in just over 24 hours, it was recharged (trickle) and is doing great now as well. So the final resolution was that something gave out in the combo, they can't tell which component since they are manufactured as one piece.

To replace the combo you have to go behind the seats, remove the subwoofer and access through the panel there. The accessory belt tensioner is very powerful and takes two people to get it off the belt. Otherwise the swap was pretty straightforward and took the tech about 3 hours. All under warranty.

I figured it had to be something since I don't let my cars sit too long. Thanks for putting up with my ordeal.

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
Sounds like you received great customer service from your local Ford dealership, eh?:thumbsup

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Absolutely! I hope I never made it sound otherwise.

Of course it doesn't hurt that I've bought 40 trucks for my businesses from them since January 1st, with more to come. (You're welcome Ford stockholders!)They are a great old-fashioned family dealership. Having trouble keeping techs since the oil companies / service companies are paying so well, but they sure take care of me! :thumbsup