Battery Woes...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Sorry to keep bumping my own thread but the saga continues. After I installed the new battery I followed the owners manual for letting the computer relearn the fuel management program etc. Everything went fine except it seems I blew a fuse for the audio system and the volt meter was acting squirrely. I got some more fuses and was going to put them in Sunday.

I went to fire up the GT Sunday and couldn't get in, the fob and the key won't open the door. Even in the service manual it says if the battery loses the charge you can use the key in the keyhole to open the door but not this time. Going home with a voltmeter to check my 'new' battery.

By the way before I installed the new battery I cleaned the ground connection.

'Don't understand the key not working in the door. That's suppose to be a MANUAL lock operation and should have worked. You might try putting a bit of pressure against the door while turning the key in case there's a bit of resistance at work???

Did you turn the key both ways "just in case"?

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Well I went out and tried again and this time used some force in the counterclockwise direction and it did open so I'm in anyway. I removed the battery when I got home and there was acid on it and the surrounding area. I got some stuff from the Ford dealer to identify and neutralize the acid, looks like it didn't cause any damage, maybe etched the paint in the battery area slightly we'll see. There testing the battery and have another coming for me, but I may get them to do a housecall before I fry another trying to get it over to them.

Makes me think I have bigger problems than the battery if I fried a brand new one less than a day after install. The car ran great for the few hours I messed with it Saturday. Just the fuse out on the audio and the voltmeter acting squirrely.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Still Under Warranty?

If you're still under warranty, take it to a reputable service dealership and let them sort out the problem....

Sounds like a hard to find electrical short which can be hell to find without the proper diagnostics.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Makes me think I have bigger problems than the battery if I fried a brand new one less than a day after install. The car ran great for the few hours I messed with it Saturday. Just the fuse out on the audio and the voltmeter acting squirrely.

You don't suppose sumbuddy put a 'charger on "kill", and zapped a quick charge to it B4 they gave it 2U, do you?:skep

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
You don't suppose sumbuddy put a 'charger on "kill", and zapped a quick charge to it B4 they gave it 2U, do you?:skep

Hmmmm, I know they hooked it up to a diagnostic machine and I think it puts a quick charge on the battery before it does it's thing. Showed the battery was good (at that time). I'll ask tomorrow as the diagnostic machine is hooked up again.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Did you blow fuse 16. the 5 amp ?

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Yes and perhaps some others.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
bigs others here have said it but I wanted it to be clear. Did you check the ground conection at the frame of the car not at the battery?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
BigSy, BigSy, BigSy, how many times do we have to tell you no quick charges. These batteries aren't made for it. Make sure the dealership doesn't do it again. If they must charge it, do it out of the car.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Frank they did check it out of the car; the car has never left my garage and I've been swapping the batteries out here. Todd I did check the ground where it bolts to the frame at the end of the cable opposite the battery. I did not sand the area though, just cleaned it and made sure it was cranked down good. Realize too I had no problems for the first 23 months I've owned the car.

Thanks for everyone's input, we'll get it sorted out (hopefully today) and I'll make another update in case someone else runs into a similar issue.

M

Mark O

At this point, who gives a crap about big's battery problems. Let's see a full sized picture of Todd's avatar! :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry BigS. I thought you had the car there at the dealership.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
At this point, who gives a crap about big's battery problems. Let's see a full sized picture of Todd's avatar! :lol

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

Do you mean to suggest that they get even bigger?

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.

Now close your eyes and think of her running like bouncy!! :eek:poof::poof::thumbsup

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
MarkO I have negative thoughts toward you for highjacking my thread; drawing attention to that caricature in Todd's avatar. I'm going to have to change my avatar to one of the beautiful redhead such as those I used to use on the other boards...

Taking the car to the dealer today to have them help sort out the wacky electrical system. The lights and gauges come on for 20 seconds or so and then go out for about the same length of time. Seems to run fine, checked and replaced all fuses... Stay tuned and thanks for the input.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id

This very thing happened to me as well. Someone in service was trying to help and kept putting a 50 amp quick charge on my new battery and after only a few miles the battery would start to vent acid. There was a notice sent to all dealers about not doing this but I have found many techs don't take the time to research a repair before work is done on these cars.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Printing out SteveA's response. Was going to take the car to the dealer today and guess what? Battery #3 is dead. Something in my car is sucking these batteries dry in only a day or so. Battery #3 was brand new Tuesday night, They did not put it on the tester but the voltmeter said it had 12.9 volts; car started but guages and lights were acting up so I shut it down. Went out of town yesterday, then tried to start this morning and voltmeter says only 2.9 volts.

I was hoping to get it to the dealer on it's own power however they are sending a flatbed tomorrow to pick it up. A bit concerned about scraping going onto that thing, but I will be watching like a hawk.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey BigSy, remember, red goes to red and black to black.

Couldn't resist.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
BigsGt what year is your car and what is your build date. There is a problem with early built cars where the climate control module will not go to sleep and will cause a good sized batt drain. There is an updated module for it. Also depending on your cars year there is an updated power supply for the mac systems for some power draw problems. Just tying to throw some ideas out.