Battery or Battery Tender Issue?

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Noticed my Battery Tender Jr. started flashing green light instead of solid green light. Solid green light means full charge and flashing green light means 80% or greater charge. Is my battery dying or has the tender starting to fail?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Noticed my Battery Tender Jr. started flashing green light instead of solid green light. Solid green light means full charge and flashing green light means 80% or greater charge. Is my battery dying or has the tender starting to fail?

That's what my battery tender did when my battery died... Which may have been because the battery tender failed in the first place- since the battery was only 3 years old. I haven't tried that particular battery tender in anything else yet. I plan to start switching all of my battery tender jrs to another brand, as they stop working. I would check voltage on your battery.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Sorry for the false alarm. Just realized that I had left the car locked with the key FOB. Noticed this same issue with my NSX. The security system draws just enough power on the battery to cause the battery tender jr I have to start blinking green. Unlocked car and within an hour, solid green light again.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sorry for the false alarm. Just realized that I had left the car locked with the key FOB. Noticed this same issue with my NSX. The security system draws just enough power on the battery to cause the battery tender jr I have to start blinking green. Unlocked car and within an hour, solid green light again.

Well, that's good news. Yeah, I'm used to seeing the status temporarily change to the blinking green light if I've opened a door for a while, etc, but what I was talking about above, it would NEVER achieve solid green again.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I had the a similar problem - left the car in the "locked" position for a couple of weeks without the Battery Tender Junior (Kendall's "Float Charger"). Voltage on the battery (2-year old Optima) dropped below 6 volts(!!) and of course the tender wouldn't do anything. Got out my NOCO Genius 3600 and charged it up to 6 volts (6V AGM Setting), then switched it to the 12 V AGM. After 36 hours, it charged back up to full, then switched it over to the BT Jr. - solid green in 10 minutes! and holding like a rock!

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
May have spoke too soon. Hour later and battery tender now blinking green again. Checked battery voltage and was around 13 volts. My battery Tender Jr. is 5 years old. I will let in run for another day to see what happens but will probably replace.

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner

Thanks for potentially saving me a lot of trouble shooting and/or concern (GT and NSX).
After 2nd post...
Now I will wait and see the final outcome...

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Thanks for potentially saving me a lot of trouble shooting and/or concern (GT and NSX).
After 2nd post...
Now I will wait and see the final outcome...

Just get the CTEK and be done!!! NSX and GT always green and ready to go!!! :)

Tomcat

GT Owner
Just get the CTEK and be done!!! NSX and GT always green and ready to go!!! :)
I still religiously use tenders but with over 35k on the GT and 95k on the NSX...the batteries stay pretty charged!

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Battery tender jr still blinking green. Even saw the red light blink a few times. Tested battery voltage again and still reads 13 Volts. Installing new battery tender plus tomorrow. Will check all connections.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Another dead tender.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
After several hours, new battery tender plus holding steady with green light. Battery tender jr. was at fault as suspected.

Last edited: