Battery charger question?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I just noticed that the Ford charger that came with my low miles FGT is outputting over 18 volts. Is that typical, or has it failed? I ask because of all the concern with batteries here, and I would think that even at low current this would be unhealthy for the battery???

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
For what is worth, I would not use the Ford charge, invest in a CTEK. Well worth the $80 bucks as it conditions the battery also....

Enjoy you new ride...

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I hear ya.....how does it condition the battery....what is that process like?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I use a CTEK also. I don't know how you would interpret the output voltage of any maintainer without the load of a battery.

Howard

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Any ac adapter I've ever seen basically outputs the voltage that is noted on the case.....even with no load??? This one says 12 volts......

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
By conditioning I guess it's the charge and float function, but seems to me if the battery is already charged then just the float should be fine.....??? But it does look like a cool unit......

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I've been using a CTEK on my NSX for 9 years. I bought a "float charger" at Sears for a lot less, been using it on the GT for the past 2 years. Both of them work flawlessly. Highly recommend using a "float charger"

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I believe its 0.5 Miliamperes...there is spec sheet here somehwere

search OEM charger

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You are correct Kayvan. 500mA. 18v with no load is NOT unusual. That said, I would use an intelligent float charger such as a Battery Tender - by far the most popular float charger sold today.