Backup camera integrated in auto dimming rear view mirror

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Spent the weekend installing a Christmas gift from my family.

Installed this Auto-dimming Mirror with 3.3" Hi-Definition Rear camera Display

http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK332-Auto-dimming-Hi-Definition-Display/dp/B004J0I19E

and this Ultra Slim Zinc Metal Black License Plate Camera

http://www.amazon.com/Boyo-VTL375-Ultra-License-Camera/dp/B002X8VF4C

Contacted American Security - the vendor for the display and they made me up a longer cable to reach the rear tail light area. Took quite a while to carfully route the cable from overhead near the mirror, down the a pillar, along the side rail and up to the seat belt area. Then through the existing bulkhead fitting and along existing wire loom to the tail light area. All cables in the engine bay using OEM style nylon braid protector sheath. Required no modification to any existing harnesses. All connections required are in the overhead except the backup light which I tapped with a single blade vampire spade receptical at the tail light harness.

End result is a very OEM looking installation and it WORKS great. No more blind backing into a parking space or out of one. Display comes on when the shifter is moved to reverse. The camera works very well in almost no light, IE the factory backup lights are more than adequet. The picture is very clear and stable. Also the Gentex mirror is the OEM supplier for many Ford and Lincoln products.

Oh, the auto dimming feature is very nice too when bubba and his pickup are behind you at a stop light....

Was a fun weekend in the garage with my GT. Just thought i would share.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
What did you do about interior lighting?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What did you do about interior lighting?

Shadowman's dome light. Works better than OEM and I added an override switch into the headliner. It is right out of the Ford parts bin and IMO looks OEM! I added that when I installed Kip's 2Din a Pioneer unit with backup camera.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You could sell that as a kit if you assembled all of the components specific to the GT.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
You could sell that as a kit if you assembled all of the components specific to the GT.

I ordered the parts from Shadowman, but it is really just some wires connectors and dome light. The key with the Shadowman kit is he walked me through the install. Without his help I would have never attempted to pull out the headline, because it isn't for the faint of heart.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Rather than using a plastic dome light and cut the headliner, I opted for an LED strip light across the back edge of the headliner / top of rear glass. I also used an OEM switch to turn on the light just in front of the clamshell release. The lights match those used in the engine bay and work very well.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I put the Ford-sold Gentex mirror with garage door opener, compass and temp in my Mustang. Later I got the garage door version for my Dodge truck. Gentex makes all (or almost all) of the self-dimming mirrors, and also makes the On-Star setup for GM. They have a great product!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Rather than using a plastic dome light and cut the headliner, I opted for an LED strip light across the back edge of the headliner / top of rear glass. I also used an OEM switch to turn on the light just in front of the clamshell release. The lights match those used in the engine bay and work very well.

Do you have a picture?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Display comes on when the shifter is moved to reverse.

Was connection made under the console? Or somewhere else?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just FYI - several people have installed such cameras and had them melt. Keep your eye on it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Just FYI - several people have installed such cameras and had them melt. Keep your eye on it.

Yes, you have to keep it as far away from the exhaust pipes as possible.

I remember seeing 3' flames shooting out of my exhaust pipes, in the bright noon sun, when my cousin lifted the throttle at the end of a mile run.

So far my Pioneer camera is still working great.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Yes, you have to keep it as far away from the exhaust pipes as possible.

So far my Pioneer camera is still working great.

What location did you install your camera at, relative to the license plate frame?

How about protecting the wiring in the engine compartment, any suggestions for wrap or location?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
What location did you install your camera at, relative to the license plate frame?

How about protecting the wiring in the engine compartment, any suggestions for wrap or location?

It is mounted on the center top of the license plate.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Great old topic. After a little while I contacted Gentex to see if they would do a mirror with the backup camera and the GT-style lighting. Their answer was there was not enough market to justify the production.