AutoMeter Gauges

Dan S.

Oct 7, 2020
Good evening,

Newbie owner here with (1) post in the "New Owners" thread... so with a dead water temp gauge and after a lot of searching on the forums and helpful feedback from some members, I ordered up all the small gauges from AutoMeter today. Zach Salapatek, the Inside Sales Representative was very helpful.

Spent some time emailing and on the phone with him today and he made what I thought was a pretty generous offer:

"Dan, I know you are a new owner and new to the forum, but if you were interested, you could ask on the forum and compile a list of common questions relating to AutoMeter and/or the GT gauges, and I will do my best to answer and explain everything. You could then put my answers up on the forum to help out other current and future owners. This is simply a suggestion, but I would be happy to do it and help you all out."

I know this type of thread would have been useful to me, but I don't know what legwork has been done by other members on this topic in the past and being a newbie I don't want to step on any toes.

So... if you want to post any questions to AutoMeter, I'll compile them and send them to Zach.

My concerns are not so much about what caused the failures, at least if the problem(s) have been rectified with the new gauges coming out, but more if/when the updated tach and speedo will be offered.

Dan

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
This is old news. The new gauges are of a different type mechanism. Outwardly they are identical. Only the small gauges are produced (I.e. Not the tach or Speedo). They are made in Mexico in batches. You must contact Autometer direct. The old ones cannot be repaired. It has been tried. The cause is unknown to us (several plausible theories) A near dead battery is a likely suspect. All of this info is here in an old thread about the gauges. Don't hold your breath for a new tach and Speedo.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I don't think I have any specific questions but do want to see others' questions, and the answers.

That said, I would love a new set of all the gauges that look identical to the OEMs, and that I wouldn't have to worry about failing.

This past weekend my out-of-town buddies dropped by to see mine, and wanted to hear it. When I went to start it, I turned the key on and waited for the gauges to sweep and settle (or whatever it is they're doing), and my friend says, "What, does this thing have a starting sequence?!"

It's supposed to be "just a Ford" so should start like a normal car, and having to wait before pressing start is kinda bothersome. Oh well, there are worse problems in the world :unsure: :) 🍻

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You will get over it.

Reactions: BAT

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
You will get over it.

This too shall pass.

There it is stated in even fewer words 🍻

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
If you plan on keeping your GT.. Buy a new Speedo and tach.. spares.. or there is the full set of autometer gauges... or both. you already have the replacement stock autometers, so that seems to be your path.. Replacement big dials are a pipe dream.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Dan, welcome to the Forum, congrats on the new ownership as well. What did the autometer gauges cost? I still have my OEM gauges. Just curious, as I know the time may come when I need to replace, and glad to hear there is a viable solution available.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Autometer gauges are ~$250 each and all of the smaller gauges are available but they are build to order. (It just takes about 10 days or less to get them.) We have them all in stock for local owners who made need replacement.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Tachos are my main concern - last time we had to swap one out we had at least two bad ones shipped to us before we found one that worked. I believe Rich Brooks has the same experience. At over $1000 a go that's not great. Also stock levels were pretty low - maybe zero - last time I checked...

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
When my tach went bad about 6 yrs ago,I purchased a replacement through my local Ford dealer

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I replaced it myself since local dealers had no experience with a GT. Once in , it did not function correctly. I called the dealer I purchased it through believing it was faulty. They contacted Ford and the dealer had to “ reboot” the system with a laptop. No problems since. This does not seem to be the case with the smaller gauges which I had replaced previously.

Dan S.

Oct 7, 2020
The gauges were $225 ea., 5 gauges + S&H came to $1189.69... they are built in 3 - 5 business days.

Reactions: Nafod and SYCO GT