West Texas
807D28D2-B82D-4798-9C19-F306A42D0BCC.jpeg

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Dear enthusiasts.

On the Forum :

It's the best and most useful Forum I know of on any subject.
On Facebook, essentially too quick and superficial remarks, to be interesting.

On the atmosphere :

I confirm that it has unfortunately changed with the arrival of the 2017.
During my last FORD GT DAYS at Le Mans Classic, on the 20 Ford GTs present, only three 2017s, including mine ( I also came with my 2005 ).
The other European owners of 2017 either had no taste for a meeting of enthusiasts, or replied that they did not want to diminish the value of their car by driving it.
Over time, more and more investors, and fewer and fewer enthusiasts.

Managing the European Club I consider the quality of Ford GT enthusiasts to be more important than their number.

Best regards from France.

Reactions: Dudlow and ByeEnzo

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I hear little to no value/selling prices conversation at FGT Rallies!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
As Gary said, I only hope to put more miles on my car before either I, or parts, become obsolete

bmoullet

GT Owner
Apr 19, 2006
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I still read the forum everyday and believe it’s a great source for GT information. I wasn’t selected for a new GT but That’s water under the bridge. The new GTs are technological marvels but with that comes a level of complexity and cost not found in the 2005/2006 GTs. The forum participation seems to have changed with the new generation as the 2005/2006 cars faded into history as expected. I couldn’t agree with Dave more in that everything today in the car world is about value, appreciation, cost and who can get one. Any GT is now a half million to million dollar investment. That’s big dollars and candidly a different type of buyer. But it’s still a great forum with great contacts and incredible knowledge. If you’re looking for a more spirited experience, go over the the GT500 forum. I’ve joined that group since buying my GT500 Track Pack. It feels like our GT forum did a few years back, both good and bad but chuck full of car enthusiasts. With that said, I will always check in on this forum and be thankful that it’s still here.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I wonder how different this forum would be if the NGT hadn't been made.

Reactions: viva gt

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I try to drive my Ford GT and my 2001 Camaro SS as much as possible but they have been modified for racing. I used to daily drive a C5 Corvette ZO6. I am going to buy a used C6 Corvette Grandsport next year with a automatic transmission. Gonna leave the car stock to save on gas. It will be my daily driver. Makes alot of sense with the heat and traffic that we have here in Phoenix. Beyond that the only other cars i want are a Lamborghini Huracan and a Ferrari F8.

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
While the increase in values must play a role in more cars now staying stock, the shift to electrification has also removed some incentive to modify. It used to be that you could take a car that was already a few years old, as in the case of the GT previously, and throw on a pulley and tune to get performance on the level of the latest and greatest cars on the market. That is no longer the case.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
That’s why there are Twin Turbos.

😎

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Yes, I would. It's just a piece of metal bent in a fashion I enjoy looking at, but in the end, it's just another car.
Bullseye.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I don't think anyone has BEAT on a GT more than we have over the years... We have taken this 2006 Ford GT to the limits in so many aspects and had such a great time doing it. None of this would have been possible without this Forum, DBK, and all the supporters. I can honestly tell you, life has been a little boring since doing the 300.4mph in the standing mile. There are times I wish it wouldn't have happened to have something to look forward to but so blessed to have been able to accomplish what we did and have the safety of all parties involved... What a great place this is and what a great car Ford built...

Mile GT at Speed.jpg

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I don't think anyone has BEAT on a GT more than we have over the years... We have taken this 2006 Ford GT to the limits in so many aspects and had such a great time doing it. None of this would have been possible without this Forum, DBK, and all the supporters. I can honestly tell you, life has been a little boring since doing the 300.4mph in the standing mile. There are times I wish it wouldn't have happened to have something to look forward to but so blessed to have been able to accomplish what we did and have the safety of all parties involved... What a great place this is and what a great car Ford built...

View attachment 66542
There's always 350mph.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I hear little to no value/selling prices conversation at FGT Rallies!

Gentlemen,

Amen to this. Want to experience real GT enthusiasm? Come to Rally 14 where ever the hell (and whenever) that might be. An orgy of GT owners destroying the investment value of their cars by driving them 500 miles in three days acquiring stone chips, perhaps a windshield star, and in my case, a flat tire on a 2017 GT a long way from home with no spare!

I often think back to our 6 GT caravan drive around Europe and to Le Mans in 2016. Well over 1000 miles, half of it in the rain, one GT totaled, the other 5 damaged in some way getting them there and back, AND IT WAS FRIGGING AWESOME!!! Literally a lifetime highlight for all of us.

Despite diminished resale values we all leave the Rallies richer in those things that truly matter.

So what's it all about? Possession, or experience?

One more analogy. Most of the people I know who have been on a holiday in Africa stayed in a nice hotel, and ventured out during the day riding in a passenger van to view the wildlife from the road in the comfort of their padded seats. For additional adventure some of them would roll their windows down or peer out of the open top. The animals were use to the vehicles and not that wild anymore. Afterwards they'd all retire to the Lodge for cocktails and a fine meal. They were there, but they didn't see or experience truly wild Africa. They paid for a seat and got to look at it. The cost for such an experience was modest.

But for 20 times that amount of money you can be flown hundreds of miles out into the middle of truly wild Africa where there have never been any roads, any fences, or any buildings. You can live for three weeks in a tented camp and walk 12 hours a day trying to catch up to a herd of fast-moving elephant without even knowing if any bulls had ivory long enough to make it worth the effort. You can feel the sting of 50 painful tsetse fly bites every day and make it back to camp soaked with sweat. You can hear the tin can stone rattling breathing of a big leopard as it passes within 10 feet of your blind, the deafening roar of a lion charging out of the tall grass straight at you, and watch the blinding speed of a Cheetah swiping the back legs out from underneath an Impala at nearly 70 miles an hour. Then return to your tented camp with no hot and cold running water at the end of each day. The sites, the sounds, and the smell of those last truly wild places was magic. Option two was certainly a shitty financial investment but in what really matters those trips made me a wealthy man.

I know what it's like to spin a Ford GT on the track at triple digit speeds, to chase my friends at insane velocities on some amazing roads all over the US and Europe, I know what the cars feel like, how they respond, how they sound, and even how they smell when they're seriously being used. With nearly 8000 miles on it my 2017 Ford GT would not garner any amazing bids on Bring a Trailer. Nor would my 2006 with 28,000 miles. But they've made me far wealthier than any individual who deposited a check for $1.3 million after they relinquished a new GT they never really experienced. They paid for that seat, got to look at it, scored a financial gain, and will go to the next world never knowing what that incredible car was really like. Is that honestly the better deal?

That's my take on it. All the best.

Chip

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I often think back to our 6 GT caravan drive around Europe and to Le Mans in 2016. Well over 1000 miles, half of it in the rain, one GT totaled, the other 5 damaged in some way getting them there and back, AND IT WAS FRIGGING AWESOME!!! Literally a lifetime highlight for all of us.

That was a lifetime highlight that cannot be repeated. It was absolutely everything you could ask for in a ludicrous high-speed adventure with the right crew of people to do such a thing. Sometimes I think "I can't believe we did that." I also think you people are nuts for believing me when I said "Trust me, I know what I'm doing." :ROFLMAO:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
...One more analogy. Most of the people I know who have been on a holiday in Africa stayed in a nice hotel, and ventured out during the day riding in a passenger van to view the wildlife from the road in the comfort of their padded seats. For additional adventure some of them would roll their windows down or peer out of the open top. The animals were use to the vehicles and not that wild anymore. Afterwards they'd all retire to the Lodge for cocktails and a fine meal. They were there, but they didn't see or experience truly wild Africa. They paid for a seat and got to look at it. The cost for such an experience was modest.

But for 20 times that amount of money you can be flown hundreds of miles out into the middle of truly wild Africa where there have never been any roads, any fences, or any buildings. You can live for three weeks in a tented camp and walk 12 hours a day trying to catch up to a herd of fast-moving elephant without even knowing if any bulls had ivory long enough to make it worth the effort. You can feel the sting of 50 painful tsetse fly bites every day and make it back to camp soaked with sweat. You can hear the tin can stone rattling breathing of a big leopard as it passes within 10 feet of your blind, the deafening roar of a lion charging out of the tall grass straight at you, and watch the blinding speed of a Cheetah swiping the back legs out from underneath an Impala at nearly 70 miles an hour. Then return to your tented camp with no hot and cold running water at the end of each day. The sites, the sounds, and the smell of those last truly wild places was magic. Option two was certainly a shitty financial investment but in what really matters those trips made me a wealthy man.

Something similar... In 1979 I did a commercial Grand Canyon rafting trip. It was motorized, fast and hurried. I fell in love with the Canyon and considered the first trip a scouting trip for things to come. I immediately signed up for a private trip.

Over the years I did 4 private trips. Permits took 10 years to get. A friend of a friend came along on the first private trip and similarly fell in love and over the years we had back-to-back private trips (1 year apart). In all we did a total of 4 private trips.

The commerical boat blasted through the largest rapids in North America. You got wet but it was not exciting. On a private trip with 18' boats you have to scout and plan a route and then execute it. Planning is easy. Execution can be difficult - the waves tend to push you into places that weren't part of the initial plan. But the adrenaline rush and fear factor can't be compared to anything I've ever done. Or the panic when the boat with my daughter flipped on the big falls at Lava Falls (boater misread a clue and did perfect sideways roll over the edge.) I rowed every trip and every rapid the full length.

They are adventures (as Chip's trips) that you never forget.

My cohort passed away last spring and we just had a celebration of life. It was there that I learned of his fondness for commercial fireworks and that the fireworks display we had on the last night - July 4 - at Diamond Creek was to have been expected.

I'd like to do one more "old folks home" trip but all of those left agree that we'd need some young people to do the heavy lifting. :) But then I remember Georgie White ran the river until she was 80. Got another email this week about canceled trips up for grabs.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I also think you people are nuts for believing me when I said "Trust me, I know what I'm doing." :ROFLMAO:

So many members who "thought about going" wanted an itinerary and there was none. No plan. Every day will be played on the fly. People called to ask questions and I had no answers. "I have no idea how this is going to work, where we're going to stay, or what we're going to do, but it's going to be great! Don't miss it." Most people didn't buy that pitch and they missed it.

Real adventure usually happens on the far side of nuts. What we trusted was your ability to research travel options, hotels, & routes on your phone while driving at over 150 MPH and then sending out a group text without missing a beat while navigating flawlessly. Your performance there was most impressive Dave.

Chip

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
That’s why there are Twin Turbos.

😎
Twin turbos are amazing. Just do not expect them to make much of a difference when you are up against a Plaid.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
I'd say it has less to do with the fact that it's new guys or different guys or whatever - the fact is car world in general is a one note topic at this point: What did I pay for it, and what is it worth? Who can buy it, how did they get it, was there ADM, is ADM wrong or right, is economics real, where am I doing here? It's the same shit with EVERYTHING. This phenomenon occurs in every brand at every price point. You see dudes with daily driver SUVs talking about the same shit relentlessly. And it's not even just cars. Watches, bourbons, whatever. Forget the internet - go to Cars and Coffee. What's the dominant topic? Same type of shit.

I chuckle at the notion it's some new guard of mustache-twirling, top hat-wearing investors. How many posts on this site are about auctions, auction values, private sales, dealer sales, historical values, current values? Did they start before or after the first 2017 went to auction? Who makes them? Is it mostly new guys? Not so much. How much navel gazing has there been about 05/06 auction values in the last 6 years? And what is the supply of undriven 05/06 cars like? Seemingly limitless. Not for nothing Shark, but I bet if I went through all 450 of your posts, dead minimum HALF would include a discussion of what the cars are worth.

Part of it is also my fault. Legit, there was a ton of posts about the new GT because I have historically been the straw that stirs the drink here with this stuff. For a variety of reasons I will detail when the program ends, including my incalculable boredom with the aforementioned value shit, I wildly curtailed my own participation starting around 2019.

I hear you,
The whole value thing is a royal PITA!

Here a while back I needed to hire some Tree guys. I remembered my now deceased for 10 years neighbor, who told everyone everything, about everything had an excellent company that did their property of 5 acres. I found the number and called them up. Still in business. The guy rolls up (same dude) and almost the first thing to come out of his mouth was if I still had the GT'S. And before I could even utter a breath, he said, oh by now you probably have sold them already and must have gotten a fortune didn't you, hmmm, hmmm hint hint.

This is just one example of what I've experienced. Even some in my family are worried about value. I am especially glad I'm not in that mindset and never will be.
It's all about the cars, nothing else.
And then especially blue oval performance.

Reactions: JWZ