Approved oil no longer available from Mobile one or Castrol?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
^^^I agree 100% with Bill. I use Rotella T6 because it's cheaper. Just like I use Bridgestones because they're cheaper than Goodyears. Just like I got a vasectomy in my 20s because it was cheaper than a lifetime of condoms.

You know, none of this stuff is worth stressing over. Except unwanted pregnancy.

:lol

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Rotella T6 is good stuff, but is not indestructible. After 4000 miles in my DD Powerstroke F350 it has the consistency of dirty water. The recommended change interval is 7500 miles BTW.

Still good tho for it's lifespan.

Since I no longer have Catalytic converters, I like Joe Gibbs Driven synthetics. Lots of the god stuff still in it. Is not cheap. Or legal on highway use(yeah right).

I posted about this a while back. Have you had it tested? Pricey, indeed at $12/pop. Where are you sourcing it from?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I posted about this a while back. Have you had it tested? Pricey, indeed at $12/pop. Where are you sourcing it from?

I did see you posted that. I should have mentioned that I agree with you I have been using it in my 600 inch boat engines for several years. They take way more abuse than any car engine I own.

No I have not had it tested. It came highly recommended by the machinist who machined my blocks who does nothing but racing Ford engines (I assemble my own). I change it often enough that I am not trying to eek out it's lifespan on each change. 12 hours max in a boat engine. The Viscosity I use (XP6) it is about $16-$17 locally. 8 gallons per oil change, Not cheap. Lunched engines are more expensive tho.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/xp6-sae-15w-50-synthetic-racing-oil-15889html/

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
At the change in spec was also when the viscosity breakdown problem was noticed back in 2007/8 by the GT500 community. Not as much test data available for the older A spec oil but the change is when the problem was noticed with the Motorcraft product. I suppose what I intended was that the oil originally developed and recommended for the FGT is no longer available, not that Ford does not have a product it currently recommends.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I suppose what I intended was that the oil originally developed and recommended for the FGT is no longer available, not that Ford does not have a product it currently recommends.

Thanks for your clarification jcthorne. Your statement above is now factually correct. With ownership turnovers and new FGT owners joining the Forum, it is helpful to those new to this topic to understand the big picture. From the Ford technical website, “Motorcraft® SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in the Ford GT, Shelby GT-500 and Boss 302. It meets API Service Category SN.”

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...0 Full Synthetic Motor Oil&category=Motor Oil

But as I stated in my earlier post, when the oil was modified and rolled from the WSS-M2C931-“A” specification to the “B” spec by removal of ZZDP, the Ford engine team responsible for the 5.4L engine in the FGT DID go back and verify that the certification/durability parameters developed by testing engine prototypes did not change with the reformulated oil.

And as the Ford website noted above indicates, this full synthetic oil is the OE recommended for use in the FGT engine as well as the GT-500 and Boss engines which were introduced and development tested with the newer reformulated 5W-50 oil.

But hey, I agree 100% with Gary,:thumbsup

You know, none of this stuff is worth stressing over. Except unwanted pregnancy.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Bill -

In the past (before the replacement engine), I have used an aftermarket "lead substitute" gasoline additive in my '66 Mustang to decrease the valve friction due to the unhardened valve seats.

Similarly, for an increased level of Zinc, it is possible to add some Comp Cams Break-In Oil Additive 159-12. However, the detriment would likely be to Catalytic Converters on the cars (mine has not CATS).

View attachment 37848

Just a thought for those who are concerned about the reduced level of ZDDP in the Motorcraft XO-5W50-QGT.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I would not worry about ZDDP levels in motor oil for our cars. ZDDP is really needed in engines that use old-style tappets or lifters, in which the cam lobe wipes across the lifter face as it turns and raises the valve train. That cam/lifter interface was the highest pressure point in the engine, and it needed ZDDP, which "plates out" on the surfaces to protect them in extreme pressures. With roller followers, it is much lower, and the motion is a rolling motion, not a wiping or scuffing motion. So, high ZDDP isn't really necessary anymore.

Yes, the FGT engine has roller followers. See p. 303.01.30 of the workshop manual.