Anyone using 18 inch rear wheels?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Anyone using a 18 inch rear wheel? Wanting to try some drag radials but not sure if 18 inch wheels will clear the brakes??

anyone?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Seems like stormcat was at one time.... Maybe?

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
I think DBK fit some 13" wires on his. ;)

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Anyone using a 18 inch rear wheel? Wanting to try some drag radials but not sure if 18 inch wheels will clear the brakes??

anyone?

Would you be interested in trying a set of 305-30-19 Mickey Thompson drag radials? Btw I know of a company that did a replica GT wheel in a 18 on a GT and they fit....

Also I've been talking to MT and Hoosier about making a 345-30-20 Radial. Would there be any interest???
Has anyone tried the Hoosier 345-30-19 R6???

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I ordered a set of the MT ET street II's in the new size 305/35/19. If the hoooook better than the R6's on the street I might try a 18 inch wheel for more sidewall. I just hope the MT's stay on the rim on my spirited pulls (no mile runs on these).

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
This is Ed Simms car when he had 18 inch wheels. I think Tom Piana has them now for his GTX.
ccw-C14wheelsEdSims.jpg

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
GT Pilot (John L.) ran 18s front and rear and had no problems clearing the stock brakes. A couple other members use 18s front & rear to run Goodyear race slicks at the track with no problems. And as a side note, although they obviously had custom brakes, the Matech GT1 cars ran 18s front & rear.

Chip

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Mullet. PM me your cell. Piko6 (aka Joe) has ran 18" with MT drag radials ~ 4 years ago.

You will have to cut/ shorten the sway bar linkage.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I ordered a set of the MT ET street II's in the new size 305/35/19. If the hoooook better than the R6's on the street I might try a 18 inch wheel for more sidewall. I just hope the MT's stay on the rim on my spirited pulls (no mile runs on these).

I meant to get ahold of ya, one of my good friends runs the drag racing portion of MT and I told him we should send you or Soroush a set of the 19's to test. I have been wearing them out to build a wider tire, I got a set of tires coming to, just don't think they will be wide enough.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
This is Ed Simms car when he had 18 inch wheels. I think Tom Piana has them now for his GTX.
ccw-C14wheelsEdSims.jpg

Sandman has the wheel/tires now. The CCW/G19 Goodyear combo makes for some light & sticky action.

Ed

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
The only problem that I found with the CCW wheels was a slight rubbing of the rubber boot on the factory sway her drop links.
I ended up making a new sway bar drop link to clear the rear wheel.
The combination of heim joints shave 1/2" over the oem rod ends providing more the enough clearance.

IMG_0868.jpg

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Now that's a cool mod. Any plans to make more for us?

Ed