Anyone On Here Buying The ZR1 Corvette?

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Is anyone planning on buying the new 09 ZR1 Corvette when it comes out in Sept. 08? Any thoughts on the car? It looks like a improvement over the Z06 but it will bring huge premiums to start and I think it lacks in the looks department.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
See the thread titled "zr1". :biggrin :cheers :thumbsup

I put out "feelers" in my area several months ago ...but, as yet, nobody will even commit to what their PREMIUM will be. (And isn't it reflective of the times we're in that we now EXPECT premiums?! We all were "conditioned" pretty quickly, weren't we?)

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I think no matter what it's still just a modified Vette. If you're a Vette fan it's something to talk about. Any time I've been to a show most people just walk past the Z06 like it wasn't there. If G.M. wants the King of supercars it's going to take a totally new design. Mid engine and a little more interesting. The Vette is great for the masses for what it delivers, but getting boring no matter what for those that have been watching for 50 years.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Any time I've been to a show most people just walk past the Z06 like it wasn't there.

+ 1

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Any time I've been to a show most people just walk past the Z06 like it wasn't there.

Well of course they do, it isn't a show pony, it's a $70,000 race car with some great amenities. It's a niche car that only competes with the GT's, Ferrari's, Porsche's, Lambos and Vipers in performance. You don't have to like it or want one, but if you are objective, you have to respect what it has evolved into, for the price, with American labor. :cheers

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
Unlike the models you site above, the modern Corvette lacks exclusivity. I agree American labor has figured a way to commoditize the exotics.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I like the vette's. They are probably the best bang for the buck. Unfortunately the $90k vette looks almost identical to the $50 vette. However, from a performance standpoint the standard vette, the Z06 and the ZR1 are damn good values.

As stated above, they just don't look radical enough to garnish the attention a $90k-$100k car should.

For example, take the GT though a shopping centre. Everyone looks; some with contemptuous distain, some with jealousy, some with both and most just to get a second glimpse at that phenomenal beauty. Take the (as yet unreleased ZR1) though the same shopping centre and about 10 car nuts (all guys) will take a second look.

It is just not the kind of car that motivates me to write a check.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I prefer the Z06, both aesthetically and for intended purpose. Tough to swallow a car that expensive that has the same interior as the 44k version (seats?) and stuff that would get brutally lampooned by the domestic crowd (clear hood?) if it were on an import...

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I am getting a base Vette.....sold my '85 BMW for $6500, seliing some mercedes 250 sl parts for $3000 and 15 watches for $11K....so I am out of Pocket only $24K for a brand new Vette !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I am getting a base Vette.....sold my '85 BMW for $6500, seliing some mercedes 250 sl parts for $3000 and 15 watches for $11K....so I am out of Pocket only $24K for a brand new Vette !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soooooooooooo I take it you aquired all the afore mentioned items for FREE in the 1st place then?

(Did you work for Slick Willy in his "budget"(?) office by any chance???)

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
I know a guy who is on the list to get one of the new ZR1 Corvettes. He has no idea what it will cost but I guess it does not really matter. He has an 01' Diablo and a Viper as well as a 07' C6 Z06 that he just had cammed. Supposed to make 650hp now. If the new car runs like a cammed C6 Z06 then it will dominate many supercars. I am not a bowtie lover by any means but you can't take anything away from those cars performance wise for the $75k they cost. I would assume the new car to be a 10.xx car right out of the box. A base C6 at a cost of low 40's is still the performance bargain of the automotive world. I have heard the LS3 is putting down near 400whp.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Well of course they do, it isn't a show pony, it's a $70,000 race car with some great amenities. It's a niche car that only competes with the GT's, Ferrari's, Porsche's, Lambos and Vipers in performance. You don't have to like it or want one, but if you are objective, you have to respect what it has evolved into, for the price, with American labor. :cheers

Well said! :cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Soooooooooooo I take it you aquired all the afore mentioned items for FREE in the 1st place then?

(Did you work for Slick Willy in his "budget"(?) office by any chance???)

Memory erases money wasting from past....best to recycle and spend anew!

Who is Wet wILLY

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Memory erases money wasting from past....best to recycle and spend anew!

Who is Wet wILLY

:rofl :cheers :thumbsup

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I have purchased many new Vettes through my 52 years and have learned that purchasing the base model with few or no options is the ideal depreciation beater. I have been able to buy new cars at invoice (and in some cases less the holdback) and drive them for several months and generally make money, get my money back or lose very, very little. These cars were always wholesaled and never retailed when I sold them. Vettes come pretty well equipped and I just don't find that selective ride control, memory seats, both tops, disc changer, heads up etc make it bring their option prices more. I always buy red. The song isn't tilted "Little Black Corvette" is it? Unfortunately, they won't sell me a hot new model like the Z06 when it came out (now they will) or a ZR1 for invoice. In today's market after the Z06's have cooled I question whether it's worth $20K more than a base Vette for a hundred horsepower with basically the same look. I think money could be made on a ZR1 if you get a committal for sticker (considering sales tax) and flip it fairly soon. They will cool off like every other "hot" new car does.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
when it comes time to sell my C5 Z06, i will replace it with either a C6 Z06 or a ferrari. no ZR1 for me.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"If G.M. wants the King of supercars it's going to take a totally new design. Mid engine and a little more interesting."- paul b

I got tired of waiting for that to happen after 36 years of doing so. That's one of the BIG reasons why I bought my GT. (Rumors of a mid-engine 'Vette started back in about 1970. 'Even been a couple "concepts" built. But, as we all know - that's as far as it ever got. And pbly as far as it ever WILL.)

So, I'm darn glad Ford actually BUILT what I'd been waiting 36 years to buy - a mid-engine American GT that MORE than stacks up to cars from across the pond. (And I'm even MORE pleased it happened while I was still on the planet!:lol)

My hat's off to all at Ford who made it happen.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I'd like to see Brembo make us some brakes like the ZR1's !!! Maybe the Ferrari guys will be buying GM replacements !!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'd like to see Brembo make us some brakes like the ZR1's !!! Maybe the Ferrari guys will be buying GM replacements !!!

Acc'ding to some GM guy interviewed about the ZR1's, he said the brakes "could" last for life.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...:shrug