Anyone have lap times...

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
.....from Willow Springs Int'l Raceway in Rosamond Ca.? There is only 1 conf. and I was curious to the FGT times vs. my old Viper. Just curious please note mods and especially tires, thanx.

I turned 1:32.5 with exhaust, brakes, alignment on Michelin Pilot Sports (faster on Hoosiers).

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
.....from Willow Springs Int'l Raceway in Rosamond Ca.? There is only 1 conf. and I was curious to the FGT times vs. my old Viper. Just curious please note mods and especially tires, thanx.

I turned 1:32.5 with exhaust, brakes, alignment on Michelin Pilot Sports (faster on Hoosiers).

What do you mean by "brakes"? You running with something other than the stock setup?

Regarding the 1 config., if you check out the Jeremy Clarkson/GTX1 video he's running the big track backwards(CCW):willy . That's something I've never seen before.

How would you compare the GT with the Viper on that track?

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
What do you mean by "brakes"? You running with something other than the stock setup?

Regarding the 1 config., if you check out the Jeremy Clarkson/GTX1 video he's running the big track backwards(CCW):willy . That's something I've never seen before.

How would you compare the GT with the Viper on that track?

Hi KJ, I had the Stoptech 4 wheel big brake package on my Viper, 355mm (14.2") in the front and the 325mm (13") on the rear with the 4 piston Porsche 959 style calipars and SS brake lines.

I never seen CCW at WSIR though I've thought about it like at Buttonwillow. I don't have the FGT yet so I can't compare, give me 2-3 weeks :cheers

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Hi KJ, I had the Stoptech 4 wheel big brake package on my Viper, 355mm (14.2") in the front and the 325mm (13") on the rear with the 4 piston Porsche 959 style calipars and SS brake lines.

I never seen CCW at WSIR though I've thought about it like at Buttonwillow. I don't have the FGT yet so I can't compare, give me 2-3 weeks :cheers

Hey Rebell, I thought you were talking about those mods on a GT running 1:32's so I was confused:confused .

I want to take a GT to the track bad. REAL BAD! :frown

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
Hey Rebell, I thought you were talking about those mods on a GT running 1:32's so I was confused:confused .

I want to take a GT to the track bad. REAL BAD! :frown

I will see if I have the car and break in miles by 1/17, if so I will be at Kailo's opentrack racing event at Willow Springs :biggrin

Probably will be stone cold stock.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
I will see if I have the car and break in miles by 1/17, if so I will be at Kailo's opentrack racing event at Willow Springs :biggrin

Probably will be stone cold stock.

You take care of getting the car, I'll take care of the break in miles:biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Can't answer you on the FGT, have had mine on a track. Several years ago Dave Draille rebuilt an 427FE S.O. engine for my CSX car took me out for a shake down and turned a 1:29.6 lap with me hanging on for dear life. His shop is on the track. Best time for me was 1:36 to 1:38, average for me was 1:40's, that was a before a come to Jesus call at California Speedway.

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
Can't answer you on the FGT, have had mine on a track. Several years ago Dave Draille rebuilt an 427FE S.O. engine for my CSX car took me out for a shake down and turned a 1:29.6 lap with me hanging on for dear life. His shop is on the track. Best time for me was 1:36 to 1:38, average for me was 1:40's, that was a before a come to Jesus call at California Speedway.

29s are great at WSIR. I love the Cali Speedwat Roval, probably my favorite. I watched my racing partner who I ran the OTC with in '02 & '03 put his Viper in the wall in turn 2 at 140+ after a blown out tire. What happened to you????

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
29s are great at WSIR. I love the Cali Speedwat Roval, probably my favorite. I watched my racing partner who I ran the OTC with in '02 & '03 put his Viper in the wall in turn 2 at 140+ after a blown out tire. What happened to you????

Went up in the marbles on the oval, got very squirrely, realized that I was running over my head with 1965 safety gear. If I would have cut down to the infield it would have been accross the path of traffic. Made no sense to me. My next track car will be a retired Cup car. The older I get, the longer it takes to heal, the more I have to loose. Haven't ran an event since then...

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Sorry I didn't see this post sooner Bony. We ran the Ford GT, Viper Coupe and Z06 at Willow last fall in our American Exotics shoot out, complete with lap times. All cars were totally stock, and the guy driving for us was very good, but he admitted that after the official timing he took out the GT again and was still getting faster. He thinks he could have dropped another 1/2 to full second off his GT times (he was pretty sure the Viper and Vette times were maxxed out). Here's the link (some cool video here, too): http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=108567

And here are the lap times:

Ford GT: 1.32.45
Corvette Z06: 1.33.04
Viper GTS: 1.33.30

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
Sorry I didn't see this post sooner Bony. We ran the Ford GT, Viper Coupe and Z06 at Willow last fall in our American Exotics shoot out, complete with lap times. All cars were totally stock, and the guy driving for us was very good, but he admitted that after the official timing he took out the GT again and was still getting faster. He thinks he could have dropped another 1/2 to full second off his GT times (he was pretty sure the Viper and Vette times were maxxed out). Here's the link (some cool video here, too): http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=108567

And here are the lap times:

Ford GT: 1.32.45
Corvette Z06: 1.33.04
Viper GTS: 1.33.30

Nice times, of the 3 I believe the Viper is the most difficult to learn, a good friend and good driver took his stock '99 GTS around at 1:29.04, 3 of us were timing. 1:32.45 is great for a FGT without being familiar with the car.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Vipers are generally perfoming on fast tracks. Like the GT. Not sure if the Gt is my favorite track car. Really don't. The breaks and stuff, the car seems to suffer a bit...But on streets, nothin like a modded GT..:wink

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
New to the board, but not WSIR. Had a friends GT on private track day, best, high 1:34-1:35's. With more seat time I believe maybe 1:33's but it wasn't my car to thrash. R tires and a good alignment would help. I'm amazed at all the cars capable of running sub 1:30's stock. Stock Viper! 1:29 on street tires! CRX 1:29's!

I try an keep tabs on what fast at Willow, and sometimes guys will not be totally forthcoming on their mod's. Certain cars are bench marks, like James Sofronas (pro driver in Speed GT) driving a Porsche GT2 with 600 hp and Toyo's R1's with full race Motons runs in the high 1:28's. That was at the Pantera event last Nov. I for one would like to see some Ford GT's at their next event March 2-3. FWIW, one of the best track events you can find especially if you have a ford, cobra or even a porsche.
Jimmy

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
my benchmark is the 1:21 second time my brother ran in scott speed's old formula mazda. anybody have any idea what kind of full bodied car can beat that? i am thinkin that my GT if heavily modified for this track with twin turbo, etc. just might beat that time.

Last edited:

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
my benchmark is the 1:21 second time my brother ran in scott speed's old formula ford. anybody have any idea what kind of full bodied car can beat that? i am thinkin that my GT if heavily modified for this track with twin turbo, etc. just might beat that time.

Not sure what you mean by full bodied car but I can tell you with near certainty that you'll need more than big HP in your GT to crack into the mid 20's on the Big Track. Suspension, wheels/tires/brakes and a good setup for starters.

Plus the weather(it's in the desert) plays a big factor in daily laptimes.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
my benchmark is the 1:21 second time my brother ran in scott speed's old formula mazda. anybody have any idea what kind of full bodied car can beat that? i am thinkin that my GT if heavily modified for this track with twin turbo, etc. just might beat that time.

I would tell you a Ferrari FXX would be the best bet. Maybe even a MC12, but not sure.
To modify the GT with Turbos to think it will be better driveable on the track, I doubt that is a sensible approach. I'd rather go Big Whipple, and not forget (!!!!) to first of all get shocks and tyres and most of all Brakes reinforced for the task. And try to get as much weight out as possible. ... But that is not what the GT was intended for or is best for. Enjoy it on the roads, and have an eventual track day now and then, but more hardcore, not right. Definitely not right..

Can't have it all, nothing like a 'milk giving wool pig' !:biggrin

just my 5 cents on this..

Stefan

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
he's running the big track backwards(CCW):willy . That's something I've never seen before.

How fast can the GTX1 go in reverse??

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

There was a Video posted on the forum that showed the world record for a GT, not GTX1, in reverse. It must have been going over 80 mph! You may ask how it that done.

The GT came around a corner and lost the back end and went into a slow spin. During part of the spin the car was sliding backwards at great speed. Fortunately the GT stay on the pavement and didn't hit anything.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Hell of a lot faster than sideways or upside down...:biggrin :rofl :biggrin me bad:lol

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA

Those are race car times. A factory Porsche GT3RSR will run sub 1:20's but that is an out and out race car. Huge difference between street car modified vs. real race car. A FGT would need to loose at least 500-600 lbs, improve the down force, along with suspension and slicks. Power isn't the issue, its keeping it on the track through turn 8 at a 160mph. BTW, an Enzo :frown won't even come close to a 1:21 even with Michael Schumacher driving. MC12 maybe, FXX, yes:thumbsup , and I'm waiting for an owner to call me.
Jimmy