Anybody thinning the herd....:(

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
I finally took a good look at the spare time I have and what I drive when I want to go for a cruise.....Well its the 2007 Shelby Gt 500 Grabber orange with a tungsten stripe 4500 miles?
NO----sold it 3-2-2010 to a guy from Australia who sent it to Shelby for a
Super Snake conversion ( took a little beating at 37K) also it took a year to sell
Once you been bitten by the GT bug its hard not to drive the rocket because of all the commotion it stirs

Do I drive the cherry 1973 Ford Mustang 351 Cleveland convertible NO.
currently for sale for $34,500..all restored.

Do I drive the 1999 Isuzu Vehicross-NO- thats for sale too.

I figure why pay for all that Ins. and not even turn the key on these
garage queens.
I guess we need to go on a car diet sometimes and I guess I was over due on losing.
I,am like Tiger...sometimes you got to get down to ONE!! LOL

some weight

Attachments

• Tiger Wood.JPG
    Tiger Wood.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Look on the bright side, at least you kept the right one!! :thumbsup

I thinned the herd as well when I bought my GT. Three cars went out the door......and it still did not cover the cost of the GT. :lol :cheers

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I have been evolving my heard. I Traded an F150 for a Taurus SHO, then sold a mustang GT for a Raptor F150. This still leaves me with 6 Fords. My plan is to get to 5 (or 4 cars). I have a Roush Stage 3, that I plan on selling soon. I might even sell my 2007 GT 500, but kind of hoping to keep that one though.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Let's see a picture of that 73 Mustang Conv.!

Attachments

• IM000045.JPG
    IM000045.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 456

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I've seen the anaylsis.....its not pretty

If you calculate all your potential pleasure driving days (eg, 75 days a year or 1.5 weekend days), you will find a number of factors drive that number down effectively to zero:

-other cars
-distance to storage
-weather
-reliability
-age / health

>Basically, unless you have the cars within 25 feet of your home; you are seldom going to drive it : divide days by half to thirds depending on distance, from 5 miles to 50+

>if you have more than 1 car then divide by half, per vehicle

>if 4 seasons climate; divide by 2 or 3

>if vintage; reduce days by 15%

>if classic reduce by 10%

>if exotic reduce by 5%

>if convertible reduce by 5%

I saw this data cut by a PE firm that was thinking of investing in a Classic / Exotic -Garage / Condotel in 2006. Directionally, their revenues were driven by you driving less and growing collection. They had data feeds from 3 large garages; 1 national classic insurance agency and purchased redacted DMV mileage data.

In a nut shell:

Unless you have 3-6 garage....your cars are just large paperweights sitting on burning piles of cash, insurance, registration, maintenence, light, water, heat, property tax bills.

Solution:

Sell all you automotivee assets, consolidate into 1-3 high value cars, use often.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
Wow, I'm not the only one. I sold my 66 corvette. My 95 cobra r with 4000 miles is for sale. My other 95 R has been, and will be beaten regularly so is not for sale. I would love to move my 68 shelby GT350 and cash for a GT.
At one time I wanted a proper collection of my favorite cars. Now, I want only cars that can be driven at any time with little hassle for pure enjoyment. I wouldn't give up my shop as my drag car is there and that is a different animal. But it is a PITA to take the 40 minutes at the end of the day to go swap out what I have at home vs. what is at the shop. I have a 4 car garage but after daily drivers and kids toys, one or two cars at home is the limit.

Steve

PS

Anyone want to deal on a 68 Shelby?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am trying to find a new home for a restored 1959 Ford 800 powermaster selectomatic, I need the space in my shop.:wink

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Front sight......press!

Thin the herd! Part of my motivation is crappy business. What am I enjoying. :confused I have guns that I have not pulled the trigger on in 30 years. A boat that's not been in the water in 6 months. Two aircraft that have not been flown in months. In two years I have driven my GT500 1000 miles. The nicest CJ-5 V-8 Jeep in the world that has not been out of the garage in two years.

Anybody want a killer CJ-5??? A Cirrus SR-22 G2?? A Glasair III??? I need to get down to one airplane, two Mustangs, and only keep the guns that have been fired in the last decade!

The yellow Ford GT, my black Labrador "Jet", Charley, and Veronica are the only constants in my life. I hate to sell stuff though. I guess I'm a bit of a pack rat. I need to get strong......e-bay......here I come!

Chip

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I've seen the anaylsis.....its not pretty

If you calculate all your potential pleasure driving days (eg, 75 days a year or 1.5 weekend days), you will find a number of factors drive that number down effectively to zero:

-other cars
-distance to storage
-weather
-reliability
-age / health

I am going to apply this methodology to my wife. It's not looking good for her at this point.

:lol

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I guess there is a certain pleasure in having certain things around, even if they don't get used much. I have a few antique cars that every few months I swear I'll sell, since I rarely drive them, and they are PITAs most of the time. As soon as I resign my self to selling one, I find another one I like and get more paper weights. Oh well...

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I´m a carshopaholic :biggrin I love collecting but when the garage becomes too crowded to an extent where I can´t move the cars or enjoy them I "panic" and start unloading until I have room again to start buying :rofl

Just sold 2 hot rods, a 29 pick up roadster and a ´30 "Pheaton" and hope to sell my 06 Shelby Hertz

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
You guys crack me up! Try justifying the maintenance, operational and insurance costs on one of these. Also road use is a bit ..... uh.... slim... but it does have that "post apocalyptic cool" thing going for it. I must admit paint and body work is cheap as nothing dents the damn thing and touch up is with a roller. :wink

Attachments

• saracen.jpeg
    saracen.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 238
H

HHGT

Thin the herd! Part of my motivation is crappy business. What am I enjoying. :confused I have guns that I have not pulled the trigger on in 30 years. A boat that's not been in the water in 6 months. Two aircraft that have not been flown in months. In two years I have driven my GT500 1000 miles. The nicest CJ-5 V-8 Jeep in the world that has not been out of the garage in two years.

Anybody want a killer CJ-5??? A Cirrus SR-22 G2?? A Glasair III??? I need to get down to one airplane, two Mustangs, and only keep the guns that have been fired in the last decade!

The yellow Ford GT, my black Labrador "Jet", Charley, and Veronica are the only constants in my life. I hate to sell stuff though. I guess I'm a bit of a pack rat. I need to get strong......e-bay......here I come!

Chip

So its GT first, Dog second, Son third and Wife Fourth!!! If I was you I'd edit that post real quick Chip...:wink

My Ex-Business partner has a Cirrus SR22 and loves that airplane more than his family.

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
So its GT first, Dog second, Son third and Wife Fourth!!! If I was you I'd edit that post real quick Chip...:wink

I always heard getting married was a good way to get rid of half your stuff...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Actually, it could be a QUICK way...which is not necessarily a "good" way...:willy:willy:willy

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
usually its MORE than half your stuff. :bored

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK

Certainly a good way to get rid of encyclopaedias - most wives know everything, so they're surplus to requirements. :biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Compared to a wife, all my other stuff is free!

Getting un-married is a good way to get rid of 90% of your stuff! :bored And hey, Veronica and I are not married yet. I have a few months left on my 120 month lease/purchase option! :biggrin

Chip

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Cirrus

My Ex-Business partner has a Cirrus SR22 and loves that airplane more than his family.

HHGT,

Here's a couple photos of my Cirrus SR-22 G2. I like it a lot but I seldom use it. The last photo is of DBK sitting on the wing of my Glasair III before going up to fly some aerobatics. That was 2+ years ago and I think I've only flown the Glasair 3 times since then. :willy At least with cars you don't have to pay to tear them apart every year for an annual inspection.

Chip

Attachments

• Cirr1.jpg
    Cirr1.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Cirr2.jpg
    Cirr2.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 177
  • Cirr3.jpg
    Cirr3.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 235
  • Cirr4.jpg
    Cirr4.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Cirr5.jpg
    Cirr5.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 172
H

HHGT

What amazes me is how inexpensive and advanced some of the MFD technology have gotten over the years. Years ago I worked on the B2 & C17 MFDs where we agonized over screen sizes and such, now private airplanes have in them what I call miracles of the past.

BTW Chip, I would not invite Kendall to sit on that wing unless Kingman is sitting on the other wing.

Last edited: