Anybody Experiment With Gated Shifters?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Anyway, drove a car with a gated shifter for the first time recently ('08 Gallardo). Didn't care for the car (was gutless at 5,000 rpm, like the normal f430), but loved the clack-clack sound and feel of the shifter. And it looked the business, shiny billet instead of the rubber (?) sheaths on other cars.

I think it would be a cool mod if it could be done to a GT.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I agree. I have always thought our cars should have come with gated shifters. Fits perfectly with the character of the car. Probably not too difficult to accomplish once you fabricate a new center console.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I thought about making one using the exoticare shifter bezel as a base for the gate.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Anyway, drove a car with a gated shifter for the first time recently ('08 Gallardo). Didn't care for the car (was gutless at 5,000 rpm, like the normal f430), but loved the clack-clack sound and feel of the shifter. And it looked the business, shiny billet instead of the rubber (?) sheaths on other cars.

I think it would be a cool mod if it could be done to a GT.

I have 2 gated shifter cars. A Lamborghini Murci, and a twin turbo Gallardo. Love it, and love the clank and feel. It's funny when I raced a 800hp GTR with my GTT. I am rowing through the gated shifter old school, while the GTR driver is using paddles. As I blast past;).

Exoticare

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jul 18, 2006
Great White North
We tried it! we couldn't get it to work, the angle of the shifter shaft was at the wrong angle in every gear. We originally wanted to make a gate instead of a boot. So we came up with the current bezel mod.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
We tried it! we couldn't get it to work, the angle of the shifter shaft was at the wrong angle in every gear. We originally wanted to make a gate instead of a boot. So we came up with the current bezel mod.

Would/did it work with the short throw shifter? I can see the pivot point on the normal shifter doing that but maybe the short throw would be better.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Did the original GT40s come with gated shifters?

Ed

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Ed

Not to my knowledge

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Ed

View attachment 27469

View attachment 27470

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Seeing a reply recently where a clutch failure was most likely due to an inexperienced driver starting off in third it reminded me that if there had been a gated shifter that wouldn't be possible...

So I did a search and this old topic came up...

I still wonder why noone ever did a gate overlay to replace the rubber b**b. It would seem to have been a relatively simple mod to generate.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I had a beautiful gated shifter in my Pantera...loved it (and the sounds it made).

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
LOL……a zombie thread I don’t even remember starting. Less than a year later, I bought my gated manual Lamborghini Diablo Roadster, then my FGT 6 years later.

Now having owned both for awhile, I don’t want a gated shifter FGT. It is great in the Diablo because it works better as a cruiser than the FGT. Gated shifters, while having superior feel and sound do slow down shifts.

Reactions: dshears

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Newly acquired V10 R8 with a gated shifter is really sweet. Just getting to know it

Reactions: dreimer

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have always thought our cars should have come with gated shifters.

Almost…….

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpeg
    IMG_2023.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: drilling

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Was that in the prototype?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yes

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Gated shifters are a thing of beauty.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I am scared of how much dust will get into the gated shifter.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Almost…….

This looks cool