Any FGT obscure trivia, rare facts, oddities?

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
i have plenty that were compiled by private people and put onto a disc which was given to me by a good friend at saleen.
i started to post some of the pictures this morning, but dbk removed them saying "he" thinks they may be owned by fmc. ???????????
i wrote him about this and he is looking further into it ???????

sam:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I recognized some of those images as property of FMC from the design studio. If it's in the studio, it's generally FMC property, regardless of who holds it. I have no doubt they came from private people, but in the interests of keeping our buddies at SVT and APC happy, just let me make sure it's cool with them and we'll get them back up. I've seen plenty of sites get removal notices from lawyers for distributing such stuff. Given that the car is old I'm sure it won't be a big deal at this point.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Does anyone different build/assembly pictures of the Ford GT other than what is already on this site in the Photo Gallery?

See this Wixom slideshow

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/.../audio_slideshows/fordGTwixom/photopopup.html

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
thx dave
i'm sure they will be permitted as will the rest of them that i have.
keep me advised, i'm very anxious to share them with our members

sam

ford gt 1625

GT Owner
Sep 1, 2009
Atlanta GA
I remember this from the documentary. I thought it was running the 03 Cobra 4.6l S/C motor rather than the 2000 Cobra R 5.4l N/A?

Yes it had the 400 HP 4.6 motor . That's what they said in the documentary.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Originally posted by SteveA
What you wrote is true however (In my best Paul Harvey voice) here is the rest of the story (told by Dan to me).
After the race Dan took the very large bottle of Moet Champagne handed to him on the podium, took a drink then shook the bottle and sprayed his fellow driver AJ Foyt, crew members, guests and crowd. After the bottle emptied he set it down, celebrated awhile longer then left the podium.
30 years later a phone call was received at the office of Dan Gurneys All America Racers from a woman in france. Seems she is the daughter of a track worker that was employed to clean up after the race. He was present for the celebration and thus started cleaning that area, came across the bottle and took it home as a souvenir. The gentleman just before passing away asked his daughter to call AAR and see if Dan would like the bottle back. The bottle now sits proudly in a custom built case next to other memories of the day. Quote.

Fantastic! The kind of obscure history almost no-one knows, but adds a whole nuther dimension to the GT/GT40 charisma.

When I go to the occasional car show, I take along my Larry Edsall "Ford GT The Legend Comes to Life" and a page with reminders of some of the historical trivia about the car. Thanks for the rest of the story.

A lot of folk really love the car, but hearing some of the stories just blows them away. New fans for life.

Last edited:

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
The wristwatch that Steve McQueen wore in the movie "LeMans" recently came up for auction. Steve had presented it to his financial advisor upon returning to the US at the end of filming. Estimated to go between $10,000 and $20,000, it eventually brought $84,000.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
In the later 60's In the weekend picture magazine of our local newspaper, the was an article about the GT40, which was one of the first places I fell in love with the car. There were pictures, one of which was of one of the GT40s in the pits at LeMans, at night, with the disc brakes glowing cherry red through what I remember as spoke wheels. In the 40 odd years since I LOST IT!

Anyone out there seen such a photo?

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
I have tryed to obtain as many books, DVD"s, magazines, U-tube video's ect.... as i can on the subject of our cars and always enjoy the information within. One of the more recent Books that i think you would all enjoy is called "GO LIKE HELL" Ford, Ferrari, and their battle for speed and glory at LeMans By A.J.Baime ISBN Number 978-0-618-82219-5
Some great pictures in it as well that i haven't seen elswhere.
It's truely one of those books you can't put down once you start.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Agreed, I loved that book. It is going to many of my car buddies for Christmas this year.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I don't think there's any way the Miura was designed to look like the GT40. The entire mid-engined format was relatively new, but the Porsche 904 (I used to have one of those) and Ferrari 250 LM were around, too. And depending on who you believe, Gandini or Giugiaro did the Miura, and neither of those guys needs to copy from anyone.

I am currently watching the Lamborgini episode of 'Wealth on Wheels'......

http://www.wealthtv.com/listings_2009_12_10.html - (I love my DVR :biggrin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbCf5tYkfps - (unfortunately this clip of the episode ends at the commercial....just before they get to the Miura).

...and remembered this thread and topic. They mention that the Miura design was influenced by the GT40.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Go Like Hell....the movie

So there I was googling "go like hell" to order a copy (on my doorstep in 5 calendar days from amazon!!), when I discovered 20th century fox is going to make a movie!! Major names named as interested. Haven't been this excited about a coming event since I bought the GT. Sure hopes this one pans out.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I don't think there's any way the Miura was designed to look like the GT40. The entire mid-engined format was relatively new, but the Porsche 904 (I used to have one of those) and Ferrari 250 LM were around, too. And depending on who you believe, Gandini or Giugiaro did the Miura, and neither of those guys needs to copy from anyone.

A couple close friends of mine are friends will Bob Wallace and the rest of the crew that designed the Miura, and they state clearly that the basic primise of the look was definitely "inspired" by the Ford GT. Was it a copy, absolutely not, but according to the men that made it in their spare time on the side at Lamborghini it was heavily influenced for the Ford GT.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
A couple close friends of mine are friends will Bob Wallace and the rest of the crew that designed the Miura, and they state clearly that the basic primise of the look was definitely "inspired" by the Ford GT. Was it a copy, absolutely not, but according to the men that made it in their spare time on the side at Lamborghini it was heavily influenced for the Ford GT.

I believe you, but I honestly see no resemblance between the two, other than the basic proportions, which are pretty much defined by the mid-engine configuration.