Any 4 post lifts in the Atlanta area?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
My Car is ready to have it's first oil change. However, after reading about the dufficulties some of the dealers are having finding the proper jack points with with 2 post lifts, I have endeavored to change my own oil.

Are there any forum members in the Atlanta area with a 4 post lift willing to let me use it for a couple of hours? Alternatively, if you have had your oil changed by a COMPETENT service provider (i.e., 4 post lift or proper jacking, knows to prime the engine after oil change etc.) I would appreciate a referral.

Thanks
Eric

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Eric:

You may want to contact the service manager at Gwinnett Ford. They have sold several GTs, and they feel that they are prepared for any GT service and aftermarket add-on (at least the shifter and transaxle cooler).

My wife researched a lift installer since she wanted to get a pair of 4 post lifts for me for father's day this year. We wanted to be able to keep all performance and family cars garaged concurrently. If you ever want to go that route, I can get the name of the lift (Revolution as I recall) and the name of the local installer. For us this involved raising the garage door, and she had a man who did that work as well.

- doc

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
It largely depends upon how the car hobby is seen by the family. My 13 year old daughter wishes to race in the future. My son loves muscle cars, my 15 year old daughter likes bragging rights on exotic cars and my 30 year old just plain loves automobiles. For us, cars are a shared family interest. My wife subscribes to ~8 different car magazines, and she is the one who tracks down parts and car availability. She is currently looking for a 4-5 seater performance convertible in which we can all ride. She is looking at the concept of a Shelby Mustang.

This is a frequent discussion in all auto forums: "How does your spouse respond to your automotive interests?" Perhaps it is a question best suited for e-Harmony.

My point is that a lift (like an oil well) can be a thing of beauty if it is something which interests everyone. But logic dictates that in many households, such interests are not shared.

Does Melanie Troxel have children?

- doc

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
centerpunch said:
A single-post side lift may be more wife-compatible, and is definitely less intrusive in the garage.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5517&postcount=4

Interesting - had not seen those before. Have you seen one in person? How are they?

Anyone else have reommendations on a home lift?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Thanks CP

Does anyone have a lift that IS NOT GOOD for the GT? Maybe things in the way from underneath, post in the way, track not wide enough, or some other pitfall that would make a different choice better?

I am in the lift consideration process.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
eShrink,

I called Gwinnett Place Ford today to speak with the service manager (whose name was graciously supplied by eShrink) to schedule an oil change. The service manager was not there so I decided to wait on quizzing him. I will ask him when he returns.

However, based upon recent posts to this forum, even supposedly knowledgeable service departments have had gaffs when it comes to changing the oil (i.e., damaged underpans) using 2 posts lifts.

By the way, when I went by Gwinnett Place Ford yesterday, there was a brand new Black GT displayed. Can't remember if it had stripes or not.

Eric

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
dallas ford/mustang uses the plastic rhino ramps from kmart! no joke as he was up to 3 oil changes a day!!, i did the same ,BACK THE CAR UP THE RAMPS, THE PANS WILL CLEAR , AND ALL CAN BE DONE WITHOUT SCRATCHING THE FRONT SPOILER...IM GETTING OLD THOUGH AS I FINALLY FOUND A DEALER IN N.Y WITH THE RIGHT LIFT, P.S. ALL THE TIRE STORES WITH THE RAMP LIFTS WORK FINE TOO.. GTJOEY 1314 AND AS HAPPY AS A CLAM :biggrin

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
With Dry Sump, all or most is in the big canister,when you release or loosen THE FILTER FIRST!,THE VACCUM IS RELEASED AND SENT BACK TO THE BLOCK AND CANISTER, YOU REALLY WONT LOOSE OIL ON THE FLOOR AFTER THAT,The multiple plugs plus the canister plug get 98% .With the size of the journals/crank ect,leaving behind a little oil is a good thing, as martha would say.OH AND I ALMOST FORGOT,FILL UP THE CAR THEN LET IT RUN AT IDLE , CHECK THE FLUID WHILE RUNNING THE ENGINE!!!!!!!!! OVER 40% OF WARRANTY WORK HAS COME FROM PEOPLE OVERFILLING THE OIL , WHEN THE CAR STARTS THAT EXTRA 1/2 QUART COMES UP , PUSHES PAST THE DIP STICK AND CAUSES A MESS!!!!!THINKING GASKETS ARE BLOW , BUT ITS JUST OVERFILLED. :biggrin Tip of the week under fill tank by 1/2 a quart run then take a peek a boo at idle , your done. gtjoey happy to be going to detroit in 4 weeks baby!!!!!! :biggrin

FFCobra

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2006
GA
If you are still looking to use a 4 post lift, send me a PM. I'm in Acworth and have a nice set up. I have changed the oil on my C6 Z06 so I know how to do the oil sump; it should be the same for the FGT.

I also have a Ferrari 355 and have done the oil change on that. It also uses an oil sump. So I think we can handle it.

- Bill

2006 Ford GT (Sitting at the dealer, waiting for me to pick it up!)

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Thanks Bill,

I will PM you today.

Regards,
Eric